First Hurdle

Sutty86

Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2017
Skipton
Currently building DIY build took me a few months to get this far as I've been parts in stages ,
Built battery which was a massive learning curve but actually happy I've done it was given lots of old battery's from local hospital were I work for.
So basically cost me nothing.

Well my first major hurdle is I want to keep my hydraulic brakes on my front suspension (front giv)mountain bike.
Wheel fits nicely bought torque arms to fitnalso, but I'm struggling to get the hub clearance there is only a few mm in it.
The hub wheel fits nicely and turns (just about)
I presume sanding down the hub is a no-no has it won't turn true,
So question is will it be possible to take a mm or 2 off the calipers.

Or does anyone have any better suggestions

Again thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

If the disc is touching the caliper adapter, you need a washer on the axle. If the caliper is touching the motor, get a bigger disc (180mm).

Reactions: Sutty86

Sutty86

Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2017
Skipton
Will get a photo when I'm back with the bike,
Caliper is touching hub,
Unable to get a bigger disc has caliper only has one fitting on forks...
Unless you can move caliper without guides

D

Deleted member 4366

The first thing you need to do is fit any disc to get the axle spacing right first. It could be that you need a washer or two on the axle to bring the disc in line with the caliper. that will pull the frame further out and lift the caliper clear of the motor. if it doesn't, you might need to go right up to a 203mm disc.

You can also put a disc spacer behind the disc, then you'll need a washer on the axle to bring the caliper in line with the disc. That will also pull the caliper outwards relative to the motor.

Sutty86

Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2017
Skipton
Sorry should of took a better photo the wheel itself is pulled as far as it can on the opposite side just to see if I could get clearance.

Looking at mechanical brakes now to see if they have a slimmer profile,
Can you get adapters which go from 160 to 203
Thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

Sorry should of took a better photo the wheel itself is pulled as far as it can on the opposite side just to see if I could get clearance.

Thanks
Do what I suggest before down-grading the brake. When you fit a motor wheel to a bike, you should always work from the brake side first.

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011

Thanks
Go d8veh first

But yes, you can. I used one on a surly rigid 29er fork

Sutty86

Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2017
Skipton
Do what I suggest before down-grading the brake. When you fit a motor wheel to a bike, you should always work from the brake side first.
Thank you , will try get hold of some washers from DIY store tomorrow, I had a strange idea about possibly filing the caliper adjustment holes to maybe gain a few mm also

Sutty86

Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2017
Skipton
Finally getting there with my DIY build.
Learnt so much.
Thank you

So today was a good day , testing homemade 14s10p on controller ,throttle and hub, it works great, calipers are slightly still scoring the hub but I'm need to do some more filing tonight.
(Poor file at work)
But the thing which is worrying me , is when plugging the xt90 from controller to battery it's making a pop sound , and damaging the xt90,

I've also put controller leads straight on to the battery and same thing it's sparking when adding the oppisite connection.
Bike is still functioning fine but I think this is going to put wear and tear on my xt90s.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Replace the XT's with anti spark ones.

D

Deleted member 4366

calipers are slightly still scoring the hub but I'm need to do some more filing tonight.
(Poor file at work)
If you need to file the caliper or adaptor, you've done it wrong. I keep telling you: you need a washer on the axle.

Sutty86

Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2017
Skipton
If you need to file the caliper or adaptor, you've done it wrong. I keep telling you: you need a washer on the axle.
Just seen this, I've added and removed washers it's a right pain, I've bought a 203mm disc and pm adapter also.
Losing the will to live! Haha
Really looking at changing the brakes all together

Sutty86

Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2017
Skipton
I have these to my arsenal ,
I have tried hsving 1/2 washers on side of disc brake and 1 washer on opposite side ,I still get scoring using 1/2 washers
I am unable to add more washers to the opposite side and it's a very tight fit on the forks

Attachments

Sutty86

Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2017
Skipton
I have these to my arsenal ,
I have tried hsving 1/2 washers on side of disc brake and 1 washer on opposite side ,I still get scoring using 1/2 washers
I am unable to add more washers to the opposite side and it's a very tight fit on the forks
Right update
Wheel is spinning freely nearly , it's getting scored somewhere I'm gonna guess near the caliper adapter,

Please feel free to critique washers,
I have 2 c washers and a torque arm to fit.
Disc has washers underneath it to keep it inline with caliper.

Also noticed axle not sitting flush in dropout,about a millimeter out,
Axle on hub is more rectangular

Last edited: