First Impressions!

mijak

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2014
ilkeston, Derbyshire.
I've had my GMB e-bike for about a month now. I'm an old Git who has become unfit & over weight so hope returning to a bike will help to restore some fitness plus help shed a few pounds of weight (quite a few!);), I bought an e-bike because where I now live in Derbyshire the terrain is like an over sized egg box non stop damn great hills. Very few dedicated cycle ways round here I used to live in Peterborough which then had about 30 miles of dedicated cycle ways separate from the roads so i was spoilt, and cycled every where also cycling was my sport. Sixteen years nearly now since I moved up here, and gave up cycling almost immediately when I saw the damn great hills, so I am now back on a bike i'm nearly past the sore buttocks stage, and get on the bike every day I have rediscovered muscles I had forgotten about (ouch) I have also remembered that the lower back muscles are involved when cycling (another ouch), but I am enjoying it seeing things I never spotted from the car I am confident that in time I will gain health wise from the cycling over time. My choice of a cheap bike was dictated by a number of factors, wasn't sure if i'd take to it, I wanted a local supplier for backup mines half a mile away from my home, I also wanted a dealer with plenty of spares in stock, and he has. The bike so far is working great so i'm well pleased with it though i'm a bit miffed by the silly 15mph e-bike speed limit, my ability on the bike is improving now, and would like sometimes to go a little quicker. I'm very glad that my bike is pedal assist so that I can't be tempted to twist the grip, and sit back I would not get very fit that way.
The bike comes as standard with rear carrier, and a modern front basket to cart my camera's, and tripod around which is handy as I often spot a shot I would never see from the car so that's another plus for the bike.
I was not impressed with the ventilation on the cycle helmet in the winter so I cut a piece from an old woolly hat to fit inside the helmet now i'm nice and warm, overall I am very impressed with e-bikes, maybe in a year or two I may upgrade to a different bike, currently I can see no reason why I as should my bike does very well indeed. Mike.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Welcome,
You are not the only oldie by far
Today, I went to town and parked on the outskirts, got my electric folder out of the boot and went shopping. Because of arthritis I could not do this on foot.
E bikes are fantastic!
Mike

Reactions: flecc and SRS

mijak

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2014
ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Welcome,
You are not the only oldie by far
Today, I went to town and parked on the outskirts, got my electric folder out of the boot and went shopping. Because of arthritis I could not do this on foot.
E bikes are fantastic!
Mike
Interesting what are these folding bikes like, are they reasonably light, and do they set up easily or do you need the knack, Mike.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
80% of the forum are in the second half of life at over 40 Mike, so you're in good company.

Since Mike Killay doesn't appear to be replying at the moment, here's my comment on e-folders. None of them are light enough to walk around carrying them far, being from 16 to 25 kilos and mostly near 20, but most ok for lifting in and out of boots.

Most folds and unfolds are quite easy and possible within a minute, some much quicker than that. Their usually smaller wheels gives them a hill climb mechanical advantage so great for that, but the smaller frame geometry makes some of them poor to ride. Often narrow handlebars and sometimes sloppy folding joins can compromise the handling too.

Many suffer from intrinsically too-low gearing due to the small rear wheel which demands a larger chainwheel for any given gear setup. I have a huge 60 tooth chainwheel on mine to offset that, but of course that compromises the folded size.

But there are good examples and as ever the advice is try before buying, that's essential.

Reactions: mijak

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Interesting what are these folding bikes like, are they reasonably light, and do they set up easily or do you need the knack, Mike.
As Flecc says above, most folders will be compromises. Mine is a Woosh Gale. The motor only drives it up to about 12 mph which is fine for the use that I put I to. The Gale folds well and locks together solidly. It is small but weighs over 20 kilo so you would not want to carry it far.
As an ordinary electrical bike, it is not too good (Low gears etc.), but if you read Flecc's alterations to his Q Bike you will see that they can be improved.
However, even without improvements, the Gale's hill climbing is impressive.
My normal bike is a Tonaro Enduro crank drive which I also love.
One tip if a folder intrigues you, try riding without electric, some are good, some are appalling.

Reactions: mijak