First Impressions

wibble

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2008
The whole crank area on the sport isn't sporty enough. It looks very old fashioned with that chainguard.

The hybrid style is similar to a Cytronex Trek which I'm not too sure about. The skinny wheels look strange on a mountain bike. But I can see they how they're practical for road use.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The KE610 is just another "me too" Panasonic based step-through, so nothing special on offer.

The Sport model is a good idea since models using the Panasonic system have previously lacked this style, but I agree with Wibble that the power unit appearance doesn't gel with the sporty look.

JohnS

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 27, 2009
Having spent 3 months deciding which bike to buy it is now a 2 horse race between the Kalkhoff Agattu and the Monark Eco. Now along comes the Emotion City Lux. Can anyone tell me the main differences between it and the Kalkhoff? I dont want to spend another 3 months deciding. Also I have learnt that if I change the rear cog on the Kalkhoff the motor will help me up to 17MPH. Will this work on the Emotion?

Thanks Guys
John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The main difference with the BH models, including the City Lux models, is that they've chosen to use derailleur gears instead of the hub gears most makes with the Panasonic unit use John.

If the gearing is set up only to achieve the same 15 mph as the Kalkhoff, changing the rear sprocket means changing the whole cassette of sprockets. Not only much more expensive, but it might not enable the same range of speed alteration if the top gear sprocket is already to small to be reduced further.

You'd need to check with Onbike to see if the BH had the same 15 mph speed limitation in top gear which I think it will have since it's an EU bike. If it has, then a hub gear bike like the Kalkhoff is the better option by far if you want to change the rear sprocket for a higher assist speed.

Last edited:

Andy Grayland

Pedelecer
Apr 9, 2008
Hi John

All three are great bikes! The main difference between the Agattu, Monark and E-Motion is that the Agattu and Monark have internal hub gears and the E-Motion has derailleur gears.
There are arguments for and against both systems, with internal hubs being easier to maintain and derailleurs being more efficient.
With internal hub gears you can change gear without pedaling, whereas with a derailleur you do not have to take the power off when changing gear, especially useful when going uphill - It's a personal choice.
Top of the range bikes normally have derailleur systems, like the Kalkhoff Pro Connect S and the Flyer S series Cross.

The other main differences are the lights come from a dynamo on the Agattu and Monark, whereas they come from the main battery on the E-Motion and more expensive Kalkhoffs. This saves weight and improves rolling resistance especially when the lights are on. In the absence of a dynamo and hub gears you can also have quick release wheels, which allows quicker puncture repair and removal of wheels for loading into a car.
Before someone points out that the wheels can be stolen more easily, I should say you can get locking quick release skewers!
The E-Motion also has a quick release handlebar adjust, which allows for different riding positions depending on what style of riding you are doing that day.

You can change the rear cassette on the E-Motion, which is currently 14-28 tooth. If you changed the cassette you could have 11-32 or 11-30 tooth casette that would give you assistance up to about 18MPH! Although this would not be road legal. If you choose a 32 tooth sproket the hill climbing ability is amazing! Any good cycling shop can change a casette normally charging around £25.

Don't wait another three months to decide. Tour de Presteigne is only two weeks away, so come along and try all three bikes side by side. I always believe the best bike is the one you are most comfortable on.

Hope this helps
Andy

JohnS

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 27, 2009
Thanks for your replies everyone. Andy that is a great idea I shall come and try the bikes out at Tourdeprestiegne.
Does a dynamo add rolling resistance and if so how much?

Thanks Guys
John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Many tyre sidewall dynamos can add quite a lot of drag, but modern hubdynos have very low drag, negligible when no current is being used and hardly any when the lights are used, not enough to notice on an e-bike.