First outing on a new oygen stylee-mate citye-mate very disappointed

david1949

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Belfast
Well what can i say a brand new oygen stylee-mate citye-mate just out of the box living in N Ireland i was reluctant to buy any E Bikes because we don't have any dealers here in Belfast . So assembled the bike put it in the motorhome on Friday morning and of i went to a campsite. Got out on the bike at 2pm on Friday out on the road it was a downhill for 2 mile and after that small hills up and down on my way up one hill the power did not come on i was in first gear fully charged battery all lights on the controller but no pedal power or no throttle power had to stop and get of switch of and on the battery still no power tried to ride the bike back home in first gear boy that was tough work the power came back on about just at the bottom of the hill at the campsite when i got to the motorhome took cover of the module to check all the wiring
all OK so put bike in motorhome and headed home at home took bike out again over the weekend 10 times while out on the road the power failed so you just have to wait till it comes back on and that can take from 5 min to 30min i have worked it out that when the bike reaches 15MPH it cuts out that OK but when you drop below 15MPH the power does not come on right away also you need to be fit to ride this bike up any hill in first gear without power assist or throttle assist that one thing you dont read in the reviews about how heavy the bikes are to cycle without power on i just want to send the whole thing back and get my money back thats it i fed up with it .

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Awww what a shame :( Sorry to hear your first bike was so disappointing. I know what you mean about the weight of some of these bikes and how hard they to pedal unpowered..I had the same experience with my first bike which cost me a grand.. I ended up sending it back and the seller was happy to accept a return on it within the 7 days even though I had ridden it.. What's your plan next if you send it back? Do you have anything else in mind?

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Oh NO :(.....after all your excited build up, I can imagine how disappointed you must be feeling.......
I'm sure someone more technical will be along in a minute to maybe give you some advice on the reasons for your problems.......maybe its not as bad as you fear.......could be something simple.....

Lynda

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I would re-check all the connectors again by unplugging and re-plugging each in turn plus check the battery connections...

david1949

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Belfast
Well sending it back thats not simple you see i got the bike on Thursday 4pm after taking it out of the box and assembling it the recycle lorry came round the street and i sent the big box for recycling so no box to send it back also there is the price of the shipping and it could be damaged on the way back this is what i stayed in my post about living in N Ireland i could put it in the motorhome and take it over to 50 Cycles but that would cost about £280 for the boat + fuel + campsite fees so i think i am stuck with it what worries me is that if it turns out not to be a new module after fitting it what next and where do you stop and how long is it going to take to fix the problem the dealer is in the mainland and i am here in N Ireland this is what you call a intermittent fault i will see what 50Cycles says to morrow

Awww what a shame :( Sorry to hear your first bike was so disappointing. I know what you mean about the weight of some of these bikes and how hard they to pedal unpowered..I had the same experience with my first bike which cost me a grand.. I ended up sending it back and the seller was happy to accept a return on it within the 7 days even though I had ridden it.. What's your plan next if you send it back? Do you have anything else in mind?

Oxygen Bicycles

Trade Member
Feb 18, 2010
www.oxygenbicycles.com
Dear David,

I'm really very sorry to hear that you are having problems with your new bike. All I have to say is that's it's extremely rare situation that the new bike fails and I can assure you we will get it resolved asap.

I'll need to get more info from you about the power cutting out so could you please call me directly on 07738866502 tomorrow at any suitable time for you. Alternatively please email me your number and I'll call back.

Will be in touch tomorrow.

kind regards

Andrew

david1949

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Belfast
I have checked all / Battery Plus break leavers and all wires it all comes down to when the bike cuts out at 15m P M H it wont come back on when it drops below 15 M P H outside the camp site i know the road into town it,s 4 lanes and you need to get into the third lane for the town a one mile hill two sets of traffic lights i took me up the hill till i had to stop at the first set of lights when i got the light to move of that when i found out that i had no power and trying to cycle of in 1 gear on a hill with a 24kg bike is not on the footpath was 3 lanes over in heavy traffic and i had to push the bike over the three lanes i can tell you i felt like throwing it over the hedge there should be more research into a better gearing for bikes this heavy by the manufacturer i can tell you that day will stay with me for a long time i will never was a E bike on a main road again i will only use cycle paths

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
Sorry to hear about this but stick with it and it will be sorted.

I live in Denmark and bought 2 Tonaro bikes from the UK. We had problems with both of them but before airing my problems on here I went directly to the supplier first. Phil at Powerpedals was superb and sent the things to fix the bikes in double quick time.

We have 2 bikes which are brilliant. I ride mine mostly on farm tracks and forest roads and Jannie rides hers on the roads.

Once you get your bike right it will be great so don`t lose heart. Your supplier will do the right thing by you so just hang in there.

Steve

bazwaldo

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2010
Hi,
Like everyone else I am sorry to read of your bad luck with your new purchase.
My Bearprint Ebike after about 8 or 9 months started to intermittently cut out and come back on when it wanted to.
It turned out to be a faulty Controller.
If all your connections are OK my guess is you have a similar problem.
It is not so difficult to swap out the controller which would be the best way to rule it in or out.
The Oxygen Boss also appears keen to help sort this out for you so I don't think you need to worry too much.
Good luck in getting the issue resolved and please don't be down hearted, I am approaching 6000 miles on my bike after just over a years ownership and overall it has been brilliant.
Once your bike works as it should you will really enjoy it!
Best wishes,
Barry.

david1949

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Belfast
Thank you for your help Andew of Oxygen Bicycles i have sent you a P M with my phone number i have also sent a E mail to 50cycles and after i talk to them i will ring you that is if you have not rang me by 10am to morrow morning.

Dear David,

I really sympathize with your bad experience you have had. Please get in touch tomorrow so we can get your bike sorted out asap.

Andrew

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi david1949

You have bought a Good Ebike with support

They will Fix it Don't Panic

Let the forum Know the outcome

Frank

D

Deleted member 4366

I would also like to say no need to panic. An ebike is a very simple device and is easy to fix because the electric parts are modular. Your problem is very unusual, but should be simple to fix. It probably needs a new controller, which is about as easy to install as putting a new spark plug in a car. I'm sure Oxygen will sort you out - probably quicker than a local dealer.

david1949

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Belfast
Yes i will keep you all posted on the outcome it was good of Andrew of Oxygen Bike to post me and it has gives me hope but i will have to talk to 50Cycles first as they are the ones i bought the bike from and 50 Cycles also has a very good name on this forum i will also talk to Andrew to morrow by phone

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
The dealer of Oxygen bikes seems happy to help with the situation so go along with him to resolve the problem

david1949

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Belfast
Well i spoke to Andrew of Oxygen Bicycles and he has agreed to send me out a new bike he was very nice about it he told me to try out the new bike for a week and then send the old one back but i will send the old one back the next day as it is not working what can one say this is very very good customer service so here hoping the new bike goes as it should i am very well pleased with the way Oxygen has handled this it is very unusual to get as good a customer service i have not spoken to 50Cycles as Andrew said he would deal with it will keep all of you,s posted as to how i get on with my new replacement bike

Scatty

Pedelecer
Jan 15, 2009
Hope you get a bell this time too :D & manual , Frank it would of been better service if it wasnt faulty in the first place :p

david1949

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Belfast
Hi Scatty i am not pushing it i am getting the bike replaced but what i can say if i had bought this from a dealer in N Ireland i would have taken it back and rejected it and got my money back but give Andrew his place he has been very good and you could not fault the customer service i received but overall i have lost
confidence in the bike and i will most likely sell it.

Scatty

Pedelecer
Jan 15, 2009
Think Andrew has done a good job, But if i was sending out something that far knowing that there is no-one to repair if broken i would of atleast checked the box to make sure everything was in there, After the research you had done to get the right bike & now to contamplate selling it ITS A SHAME, Hope you give the bike atleast another go