First proper journey on my Wisper

jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Hi

Although I picked up my Wisper 905se Sport last week, today I managed to take it out for a decent 25 mile run

My route took me across the Charnwood Forest and through the hilliest part of the County

The bike performed really well - it did take me a few miles of playing with the different switches - to work things out. Was I best in the 'high' or 'low' setting, should I turn the power off altogether on the flat/when going down hill to conserve the battery. Should I be in a higher gear than normal to aide the pedal assist? That sort of thing. In the end I realised, for today's journey at least, I was best leaving it on the 'high' setting - as the 'low' felt abit too low!

With regards to gearing, I found the bike felt better - on pedal assist - when in a slightly higher gear than what I would normally cycle - unassisted, as this slowed my cadence

Anyway, I am really pleased with the Wisper and am looking forward to the next journey already...

tenderbehind

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2008
Hi jasano, Yes the 905se is a great bike, I've no idea where the Charnwood Forest is but it sounds a nice place, most forests are, and it also sound like the Wisper handled the journey well.
I normally keep mine on the derestrict setting, not normally much point in the lower setting as I usually like to go fairly quick, but I did find a use for the low setting the other week while following a friend on a rather rusty and so hard and slow to pedal push mountain bike, the lower setting helped me keep a slow speed behind him without constant need to back throttle as I would have had to have done on the high or unrestricted setting. I normally get about 32 miles range from a fully charged battery and then it peters out quickly. Glad you like the bike.
Tony.

tenderbehind

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2008
Hi David, No, the 32 mile range is with the derestrict off, so 32 mile approx is covered at a quite quick pace.
Incidentally, I think I'd like to tackle the next Ching Challenge, would there be any chance of letting me beg or borrow a spare batterey(s) for this 100 miler?

uk_steve

Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2007
Folkestone Kent
Hi David, No, the 32 mile range is with the derestrict off, so 32 mile approx is covered at a quite quick pace.
Incidentally, I think I'd like to tackle the next Ching Challenge, would there be any chance of letting me beg or borrow a spare batterey(s) for this 100 miler?

Hi what battery you got?

tenderbehind

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2008
Hi uk steve, It's the standard battery for the 2008 model 905se, that is the Lithium ion 36v 14 amp. I do pedal up any incline to help the battery, thus contributing to the 32 mile range, but on the level I normally let the battery/motor do the work, Tony.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Hi uk steve, It's the standard battery for the 2008 model 905se, that is the Lithium ion 36v 14 amp. I do pedal up any incline to help the battery, thus contributing to the 32 mile range, but on the level I normally let the battery/motor do the work, Tony.
just to be clear on this, on the flat you don't peddle at all?

Must get a tow bar and rack for the car and get out a bit....sick of riding around south London.:rolleyes:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Ching Challenge

Thanks TB, I hoped that was the case, I was worried about your only achieving 32 miles.

Of course you can borrow a battery/s for next years challenge, you can borrow a new 905 500S if you prefer!

All the best

David

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Just head due south, it won't take you that long to reach the M25. :)
I do a 10 mile exercise route daily, and on my return today I thought I would try a non electric bike. Blimey what a shock!lol You kinda forget the amount of assistance that is forthcoming from the good old wisper! but the conventional bike was so light in comparison its funny really.......

It would be nice to get out for the day and ride in the country or a forest not far from London? any recommendations? I have the motorhome but it is a pain to park and a chore having to get it out. so a rack on the car is needed.

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
It would be nice to get out for the day and ride in the country or a forest not far from London? any recommendations? I have the motorhome but it is a pain to park and a chore having to get it out. so a rack on the car is needed.
Stick it on a train - it goes free.

Colin

jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Hot on the heels of my first 'proper' ride, I covered 30+ miles today, using a combination of 'Low' assist for down hills and the flat and 'High' for the hills and inclines. This seemed to work well and conserve the battery

The 'Low' assist is deceptive and more useful than I first thought! What was interesting is that although it didn't feel like I was travelling all that quick, I managed to cut 5-10 minutes off a 10 mile journey (compared to a normal bike) and felt great when I got there!

Cheers and safe riding all

Jason

tenderbehind

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2008
Thanks for that David but I'll probably stick to my own 905, it doesn't get out as much as it should as it is, (!) this will give it a bit of use, but the batteries would be good, Thanks, Tony.

Of course you can borrow a battery/s for next years challenge, you can borrow a new 905 500S if you prefer!

All the best

David[/QUOTE]

tenderbehind

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2008
just to be clear on this, on the flat you don't peddle at all?

Well, I might pedal on the flat if against a headwind which, in a way of course is much the same as an incline, but if no wind then no, I don't pedal, let the motor do it, that's what I love about an e bike, just sit there and twist the throttle. Tony.

Last edited: