First time conversion of a Decathlon mountain bike, could you help?

Adamski

Pedelecer
Nov 27, 2018
As the title, I am about to convert a mountain bike (dual suspension) and wondered which of the cheaper kits would be best?

It is going to live in our flat in Italy, so it will need to drag my big fat ass up some fairly steep hills, and will be used on road too.

Many thanks!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
How heavy , far , steep ?

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
FS bikes are often the most difficult to convert. Bottom suspension pivots often hinder mid drive fitment and the rear shock usually prevents fitment of a factory made battery. Posting some photos of the bike might help with advise.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
If your considering a mid drive, which may be a better option than a hub motor for hilly terrain, some photos of the Bottom Bracket area of the bike, with the bike up side down, would help make sure fitment is possible.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Sheesh, seriously ?

Rain water would be channelled through the discharge connector in that orientation, flooding the battery.
You are right. Although the output port is facing downward, water can get into the controller that is integrated into the base of the battery.
The picture shows a GSM motor with internal controller, his battery base does not have an integrated controller like on the XF08C kit.

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
You are right. Although the output port is facing downward, water can get into the controller that is integrated into the base of the battery.
The picture shows a GSM motor with internal controller, his battery base does not have an integrated controller like on the XF08C kit.
Woosh, do you think that specific hailong case could be safely mounted upside down, provided the controller is external to the battery base?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Woosh, do you think that specific hailong case could be safely mounted upside down, provided the controller is external to the battery base?
I have a new downtube case with integrated controller similar to the HL that can be mounted under the downtube without the water ingress problem.
I will post some pictures when I get to work. My problem is I have a lot of customers with HL case.

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
I have a new downtube case with integrated controller similar to the HL that can be mounted under the downtube without the water ingress problem.
I will post some pictures when I get to work. My problem is I have a lot of customers with HL case.
Any update on the pictures? An under-downtube situated battery would open up a lot of options for full suspension conversions