Fitting a S12S controller to an ezee mk2 motor

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
It's been more than 18 months since I last posted on the forum, mainly because my focus shifted from being an ebike enthusiast to a bike-riding enthusiast.
However, I now have a bit of a problem and, knowing which side my bread's buttered, decided this should be the place to ask for advice.

The Ezee kit fitted to my Trek Mamba has served me well for the past 3 years, apart from some problems early-on, but recently failed terminally on a horribly steep hill. No sign of life from the controller, so time to invest

I've never been totally happy with the unchangeable assistance settings (1: 8mph; 2: 12mph; 3: 15mph; 4: 19mph & 5: also 19mph in legal mode)... So decided to try a s12s from bms battery.

First & fundamental question; is the s12s compatible with the Ezee motor?
If so, has anyone tried this? Any info gratefully received.

So far, I' ve managed to get it running, having tried all 36 permutations of phase cables & hall sensor wires, but it's totally gutless, so something fairly fundamental is amiss, 'cause gutless is not a word normally associated with the ezee motor. My watt meter shows it pulling up to 800w & the controller is getting quite warm, even on the stand.

I have a Changzhou controller tester, but having difficulty with the Chinglish destructions, so advice there would also help.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Hi Jack, how's things?

I'm pretty sure that I fitted a ku93 to a mk2 ezee motor a few years back. That worked OK.

I've got in the back of my mind that the S12S is a bit more fussy, probably because it's sine wave.

If it helps, I have a known working S12P (square wave) that you can borrow, I'm not using it so no hurry to get it back.

I'm in st. Stephen on Wednesday, or can post if you like.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Hi Jack, how's things?

I'm pretty sure that I fitted a ku93 to a mk2 ezee motor a few years back. That worked OK.

I've got in the back of my mind that the S12S is a bit more fussy, probably because it's sine wave.

If it helps, I have a known working S12P (square wave) that you can borrow, I'm not using it so no hurry to get it back.

I'm in st. Stephen on Wednesday, or can post if you like.

Morning Alan,
That's most kind of you and, if no-one has come up with a solution for the s12s, I'd be grateful for the loan.

It's no trouble for me to pop over to St.Stephen if you could pm me to let me know when & where.

Is D8veh no longer on the forum?
It was a rare thing for him to not be able to advise on something like this.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Thanks for the loan of your S12p controller, Allan.
As you know, it ran the bike like a boss, albeit at 1100 watts, it went like a train!
The only mods I had to do, to my kit - not yours☺, was solder up a new throttle connector and swap 2 phases.
Couldn't get it to work with pas, or get a battery readout on my Slcd5, so I'll try with your Slcd1 tomorrow; but that's just titivating.

My simplest course of action mow would be to get an S09p, to keep performance in perspective: Just waiting to see if D8veh comes back with any suggestions for getting the S12s to work. Otherwise I'll order a couple from bmsb tomorrow & throw in a few bits & bobs to make the carriage worthwhile.
Anything you want from bmsb?

Cheers,

Pete

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Yes, I'm after a controller, display and a few bits n bobs. Can you hold off the order until Friday, when I can work out what I need?