Fitting bike rack to motorhome

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
I recently put a bike rack on my motorhome. While this is not exactly pushing the frontiers of science, I thought I'd write it up and post some pictures, because there seems to be very little on the web about this. I did a little research before starting and could not find any hard information.

The typical motorhome wall is a sandwich of aluminium on the outside, plywood on the inside and a foam core. Its usually not even hard foam - mine turns out to be expanded polystyrene. The point is that you can't just put four bolts through this and hang a bike rack off it - especially a rack for electric bikes.

The bike rack instructions make it clear that you have to find the hard parts of the wall structure and make sure you bolt through them. Some camper vans have mounting points already built in; with others you have to pick up the wooden framework inside the wall and hope the battens are the same spacing as the bike rack.

You would think this information would be all over the net, with diagrams for each model. But I couldn't find it. Instead I found a discussion on another forum where people were wondering whether to fit sleeves over the bolts to prevent the wall crushing as they tightened them up. The thread went on to relate a horror story of a bike rack falling off.

I spoke to the dealers. They said my particular model - Compass Avantgarde 300 - does not have the standard battens inside the wall. I contacted the manufacturers and they sent me a diagram of the wall construction showing that there was some hard structure in there, but it was not where it was needed. To be fair, the dealers - South West Motorhomes - did point me to the solution.

Here is the installation.

The answer is to fit a pair of aluminium extrusions across the rear of the van. These ones are available from Fiamma, the manufacturers of the rack; they are called fixing bars, but they don't seem to be widely publicised. The idea is that they pick up on the structure at the corners of the van and also have a series of bolts through the wall with spreader plates on the inside. It's not quite as simple as it looks, nor as good as it sounds. After an engineering review and failure modes analysis, I put extra screws in the corners, doubled up the number of through bolts and modified the way the end caps were fitted. I had to take the fridge out to do this, but I managed to work around the toilet.

I also had to modify the rack itself.

Many e-bikes have extended wheelbases. The centre rail in the photo has been extended so that it will take my Torq.

Finally, here's a picture of it in action.

Two final thoughts. The bike rack instructions and everyone I spoke to stressed the need to use sealant. I think this a good idea - in fact in many installations I expect the sealant becomes the dominant structural part. Secondly, I think I'll be leaving some extra space when following another van with bikes on the back.

Nick

Attachments

Last edited:

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Thanks, Paul.

£300 plus my time.

That's roughly £140 for the basic 2 bike rack, £60 for the extra rails to make it 4 bike (only set up for 3 at the moment), £100 for the fixing bars.

Nick

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I think you would have been better of with a tow bar rack, especially as you has a tow bar already. Plus it can be used on a car as well.

Towequipe - UK's best value towbar store -

No heavy E bike lifting and better better security, as a motorbike chain lock can be secured through the T Bar frame. A pound shop hacksaw can cut through a Fiamma aluminium rack very quickly.........

Plus watch the speed bumps as bikes and rack have been known to detach, also the weight capacity as most of these racks have a 50-60kg max

Last edited:

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
An impressive piece of work, Nick, but is it possible to do it without the little letters and numbers dropping off the registration plate?

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Hi Eddieo,

Thanks for the link. But I am deeply suspicious of these bike racks that clamp onto the tow ball. I can't see how either the tow ball or its mountings were ever designed to take the bending moment.

One thing I did consider was a rack that put the weight on the under run tow bar frame and was braced to the rear wall of the van. But that would have been a special construction.

There are also racks for scooters and motorcycles that go on the tow bar frame, but I ruled those out as too cumbersome for this task.

Ok, I can't transfer this rack to my car. But on the other hand, I can carry a bike and tow a trailer.

The points about security and bumps and max weight surely apply to any system, but I agree about having to lift the bike further. So far, its not been a problem; I just lift the wheels up onto the rails and then fold the bike up.

Nick

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Hi Nick

While I take your point regards fixing I haven't personally stood on one, but Thule are regarded as the experts in the business.....

a tow bar can tow approx 2 ton and have a down force limit of 100Kg....Approx twice that of a Fiamma rack.

If I change my van to a smaller one without a garage I will be looking at these Thule racks myself and will probably get one for the car anyway......

have you driven the van with a full complement of bikes yet? as it will effect the handling in a negative way...........

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
have you driven the van with a full complement of bikes yet? as it will effect the handling in a negative way...........
There are those who think I will race anything, but even I draw the line somewhere.:)

Nick

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
But I am deeply suspicious of these bike racks that clamp onto the tow ball. I can't see how either the tow ball or its mountings were ever designed to take the bending moment.
I was concerned about that before I bought my Towball mounted rack too.. but then I saw epsiode of Mythbusters where they were testing out Hollywood car chase scenes, including attempting to drive a car through the side of a caravan which was attached to the back of a pick-up truck.. The car was trashed, the caravan was trashed, but the towball held everything together.

Apparently my towball is rated for 210kg of downforce, so 40-50kg of bikes is unlikely to cause a problem... I still don't really trust it though as all seems like one nasty single-point-of-failure to me, but thus far, it has been OK.

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Apparently my towball is rated for 210kg of downforce, so 40-50kg of bikes is unlikely to cause a problem... I still don't really trust it though as all seems like one nasty single-point-of-failure to me, but thus far, it has been OK.
Jim,

I know what you mean. I've seen them work, and I've not seen one fail. But....

And to be honest, if Mythbusters says they're ok, then I'm even more worried. Not as worried as a Design Council award would make me, admittedly, but still a little nervous.

Nick

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
I was concerned about that before I bought my Towball mounted rack too.. but then I saw epsiode of Mythbusters where they were testing out Hollywood car chase scenes, including attempting to drive a car through the side of a caravan which was attached to the back of a pick-up truck.. The car was trashed, the caravan was trashed, but the towball held everything together.
Jim,

Thinking about this further. Mythbuster is one of those transatlantic entertainment shows isn't it? The US tow bar system is different to the European one. Vehicles generally have a very solid square tube mounting into which a tow ball assembly will plug. I presume they remove the ball and plug in the bike rack, which is a slightly better solution than clamping onto the ball.

Anyway, that stunt you describe doesn't sound like a test of the way a bike rack is fixed to a car.

Nick

Last edited:

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
They weren't actually trying to test the towball at all. They were trying to test whether it was possible to drive a car through the side of a caravan. Obviously, it isn't possible, as a caravan isn't all just plywood and polystyrene, but has a steel chassis upon which it's all built. As such, the car they drove into it was wrecked, the caravan was wrecked, and the pick-up truck pulling the caravan was pretty trashed too... However, even with a 2 tonne car driving into it at 40mph the caravan remained attached to the pick up truck.

I saw that epsiode (S07E01 - Demolition Derby Special) about 2 days before I bought my towball mounted carrier.

No idea of the exact specifics of the towing attachment in US vs UK, but it generally eased my concerns about putting 50kg of bikes on there.

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008

Hi Fecn

Is your rack like the THULE one in the link I posted? Does it feel secure when fixed? I presume THULE are German so must be TUV approved........

found this:

YouTube - Comparison; Thule T2, Yakima HoldUp, Saris Cycle-On

Last edited: