Fitting the GSM kit

EmSeeDee

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
Coventry, UK
No problems specifically with the kit, but a few unexpected things:

1. I find that the left crank keeps coming loose. I've tightened it as tightly as I dare, but it still keeps coming loose. I've mended a lot of bikes over the years, and never had this problem. Perhaps I need to buy some thread locking compound.

2. The battery indicator on the GSM controller never agrees with the one on the battery, except when the battery is full. After a 10 mile ride, the controller will often only show 3 bars (out of 5), while the battery still says its full. I've never done more than about 25 miles between charges so I don't know what the true range is, or which indicator is the more accurate.

3. Sometimes at the start of a ride, the controller battery indicator will show empty, even thought the battery is fully charged. If I switch it off and on again it sorts itself out. This doesn't always happen, it only ever happens at the start of a ride, and it doesn't seem to matter how long I leave it between switching on and starting to ride.

4. If I exceed the maximum speed, the controller cuts the power to the motor as expected. If my speed then reduces the power does not come back on until I stop pedalling for a moment. I've got around this by setting the maximum speed to a higher figure than I normally achieve while pedalling.

But overall - these are things I can live with, and yes, I would buy another one. Riding the bike is great fun, and I don't regret my purchase for a moment.

Mike

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
2. The battery indicator on the GSM controller never agrees with the one on the battery, except when the battery is full. After a 10 mile ride, the controller will often only show 3 bars (out of 5), while the battery still says its full. I've never done more than about 25 miles between charges so I don't know what the true range is, or which indicator is the more accurate.
The one on the battery is more accurate.
The one on the LCD shows instant voltage, when the motor draws more current, the voltage will sag. The LCD's indication is good when the motor does not work hard.

EmSeeDee

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
Coventry, UK
Mike, change the Allen bolt for a normal bolt:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bicycle-Bike-Cycle-Crank-Arm-Bolts-NEW-/151921218356

They grip much better and you can tighten more with a socket driver.
The left crank bolt always gets loosened much more easily than the chain side due to torsion in the bottom bracket. I usually put a bit of blue loctite in the middle section of the bolt.
Don't have a problem getting enough torque - currently bolts are at ~ 40Nm, which is about as tight as I dare go - don't want to risk stripping the thread on the motor spindle. There doesn't seems to be a recommended figure in the fitting instructions. I think that blue loctite is probably the answer, or perhaps nordlock washers, if they'll fit in the recess in the crank arms.

Regarding the battery indicator, It can't be just the volt drop, as it never recovers when I stop riding. Perhaps there's some sort of memory function in the controller that only lets the charge indication reduce. I do have to make the motor work for its living as the reason I got the kit is to get me up the hills around here!

Mike

FantaisyRat

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 22, 2015
4. If I exceed the maximum speed, the controller cuts the power to the motor as expected. If my speed then reduces the power does not come back on until I stop pedalling for a moment. I've got around this by setting the maximum speed to a higher figure than I normally achieve while pedalling.
Do you contact Woosh for this ?

But overall - these are things I can live with, and yes, I would buy another one. Riding the bike is great fun, and I don't regret my purchase for a moment.
Good news ! But i'm waiting for the woosh's response on the waranty if the kit is used in France and not in UK because the woosh's website says :
the woosh's website said:
The warranty period applies to riding within the UK only, is strictly for 12 months and cannot be extended under any circumstances, even if you have ridden the bike very little.