Fitting the GSM kit

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
My thumb throttle was Wosshed to me and arrived last night in good time.
My fitting was done is two stages and after two 13 hrs shifts and found it very
therapeutic.I finished it last night and will go for test ride this morning.

Fitting went as smoothly.I did find some slight niggles.
I could not fit the extra bracket provided as I did not fit my road bike frame.
One of the bracket M6 bolts is not well flushed and could not tighten fully,the bottom M6 bolt is well fitting,so I made sure the two M33 nuts provided is tightened securely,the Bafang made second M33 nuts is preferable as it is well designed.
The thumb throttle is only suitable for thinner MTB style handle bars and does not fit road bike bars,also due to that I was not keen on fitting them but error code appears if the throttle is disconnected,so have adapt the throttle to mount onto my handlebars.
The intelligent controller is not so clever as I cannot find the PAS to set at 5 levels of assist only.Again the switch would not fit my drop handlebars since its made of plastic I was able to flex it and zip tie it on my bike.
No issues yet encountered on the chainline,the chain ring is mated to my 105 rear cassette and Ultegra rear deraileur,hope no issues will arise on my test ride,Andrew for forgot to include the washer I requested,so I am hoping I dont need it.
Now I have to test ride it,clipped in.
Mine came with rubber spacer with to fit onto thin bars. Unused as mine is fitted to a mtb.

Pm me, happy to give them to you. No use to me.

Also, be careful. I took the speed limit off briefly on flat. 5 miles, full whack . Motor casing was burning hot. 1300 FT of trail and road climbing over 15 miles in legal mode and it was hardly warm. And used about the same amount of battery ah.

Last edited:

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
Mine came with rubber spacer with to fit onto thin bars. Unused as mine is fitted to a mtb.

Pm me, happy to give them to you. No use to me.

Also, be careful. I took the speed limit off briefly on flat. 5 miles, full whack . Motor casing was burning hot. 1300 FT of trail and road climbing over 15 miles in legal mode and it was hardly warm. And used about the same amount of battery ah.
Thanks but I think these throttle will never fit a drop handlebar thickness i think they are 31.5 mm,I was quite wet and cold this morning and mucky so I think that would have prevented any overheating if there is any,but I will check the motor casing temp next time.

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
Have just been out in sunny Northeast and had end bike ride early,as Intelligent controller is playing up,after 15 mins of the ride and error appear suddenly and intermittentlly,its the brake error ,I know I have no brake sensor fitted as I am using it on road bike,but I have ridden the bike previously for 45 miles without the error appearing,now the GSM intermittently brakes itself without any input from me,tried everything while out nothing seems to rectify it.No loose connections,tried resetting the GSM by powering on and off and inputting all paremeters,has it happened to anyone at all.

Also can seem find the right diameter input to give close enough reading
of speed compared to my GPS,my speed always read 4miles more then it should be,tried inputting 29, 28,27 and even 26,none of those give an accurate speed measurements

Hope someone can help with these,before I contact Woosh.

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
fitting the supplied brake levers did not sort the problem,now the error code 05e appears permanently and obviously the motor is dead,emailed Woosh now.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Error 05E is brake sensor activated. Motor is cut off by this signal.
Do you have anything connected to the brake sensor inputs?

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
None,it was working fine until I went for a ride today and it went off intermittently,now its permanently on,tried attaching both brake levers and it did not solve the problem.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I guess it's time to contact Andy @ woosh.

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
I did,but looks like he is busy now,might need to wait until the morning.
Disappointed now,I hope I do not need to dismantle all the kit and all the wiring for diagnostics.
Looks like the Bafang will be out again tonight.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Also can seem find the right diameter input to give close enough reading
of speed compared to my GPS,my speed always read 4miles more then it should be,tried inputting 29, 28,27 and even 26,none of those give an accurate speed measurements
The tyre diameter you gave was 622-40 that is a 28". Depending on the make of tyre, the direction of the wind and the age of the captain you will get an approximate speed to within + or - 10%, the legal limit, the technology cannot be more precise than that. My speedo reading is within 2 kph with my 26x1.75 tyres according to the speed camera I pass on my commute.

If you want something more precise use your GPS.

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
That is my point I am comparing it to my GPS ,the Bafang kit is nearly identical with GPS device and 20 mph reads 20.5 on the C985 and the Intelligent reads 24 mph and that is a hell of a difference.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
How does it read in KPH? Yes, I am thinking bad math in the conversion done in the firmware.

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
Well ,i need to check on my next ride to set to KPH ,that is when my Intelligent controller behaves and get a bit smarter:)

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
Hi

Am I the only unlucky one who had the misfortune of fitting GSM kit that die after only 1 day use.Fitting a middrive or any conversion is not easy as it seems and to refit a new one due to manufacturing defect is such a pain.
And things get more worse when no one is paying attention.
I guess quality really comes at a price.
Sorry guys I am just moaning and upset.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
have you contacted woosh support yet? they are usually quite good.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
No, Kirsten had an issue after using his and has had a complete replacement kit sent out, I hope they all aren't going to have issues could be that a bad batch has gone Woosh's way. Try Woosh again they are usually very good, could be they are just very busy.

Last edited:

acm2000

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2015
Ipswich
for the speedo issue, did you mount the magnet close to the hub for more accurate reading?

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
Cant fault Woosh support they have been so helpful and quick sorting things out,did try contact via phone this morning but unable to speak to the right person,I guess they have been really busy,just opened my email this afternoon and a replacement is on its way,lets hope this one is descent..

Never able to check speedo reading as kit is dead,yes acm2000 the speedo is close enough,i think it is a bad conversion by the Intelligent controller from kph to mph as suggested by anotherkiwi.

Thanks for all your support.

Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I suspect if Woosh haven't done so yet they will soon be on Moon's case to get the problems ironed out for future kits.

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
Replacement kit arrived this morning in due time.Just need to find the time to refit and rewire.
Thanks to Andy at Woosh for good customer service just hoping the this time
I will have no more issues.

FantaisyRat

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 22, 2015
More than 2 months later, do you have any other problem with the GSM kit ?
Would you recommend this kit?