Flyer C9 - first impressions

Beanie101

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2008
Verbier, Switzerland
We rented a couple of C9's for the afternoon from Rent a Bike at Noiraigue railway station, Switzerland. Normal cost is about £20 a day and there are several other stations (mostly in German-speaking Switzerland) where these bikes can be hired. Noiraigue is in a river valley in the Jura mountains, so the terrain other than in the valley is challenging. I'm posting here rather than in the review section as an afternoon's use is only enough to provide broad impressions.

Strengths:
Easy to use
Built like a tank
Crank-assistance from the Panasonic motor worked very well up steep hills
High quality spec (Shimano Alfine gears, Magura HS33 hydraulic brakes)
Very well equipped with accessories (integral LED lights, very noticeable even in broad daylight, heavy duty rack and even a lever to provide motorised assistance when walking the bike up a hill)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Weaknesses:
Heavy – I wouldn’t want to try to heave this on to a car roof rack.
Gears occasionally didn’t mesh very accurately
26" wheels a little lacking in stability
25km/h assistance limit seems slow and the 8th gear feels too low on the flat

Summary:
Cycled 20km up to the Creux du Van viewpoint (700m vertical climb) and back again along the river, just to try these bikes out. We had two batteries apiece and the first one ran out towards the top. The second one was still on three LED’s when we returned to base, but then we hardly needed to pedal at all on the way down (and the smooth Magura brakes had plenty of use). We mostly cycled up the steep road on the highest of the three assistance settings, overtaking several sweating mountain bikers on the way up. Only rarely did we need to drop as low as 2nd gear and 5th to 8th were the most used except on the steepest parts of the ride.

Flyers are not cheap (about £2,200 for this version in Switzerland) but look like they will last forever. Second hand bikes hold their value well.

Overall Rating (out of 10) : 8.5

Orraman

Pedelecer
May 4, 2008
Thank you for a very comprehensive 'First impressions'

One comment that you make is of great interest to me :=

"even a lever to provide motorised assistance when walking the bike up a hill"

From what you saw of this mechanism do you think that there is a possibility of adapting this system to other Panasonic powered ebikes?

From what I have read, this manufacturer has arranged to increase the maximum assistance level available from the Panasonic motor from the normal 1.3 to 1.5 and this one imagines will require changes to the software in the motor and this may be another change.

Could this leaver be similar to the Heinzmann 'power at walking pace' to assist disabled people get home?

Dave

Beanie101

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2008
Verbier, Switzerland
Flyer C9

Hi Dave

I've never seen anything like it before and I'm not even sure if it is standard equipment on Flyers. It was a bit like a sideways brake lever and it certainly worked when I tested it up a steep piece of hillside. It provided definite forward momentum without me doing anything else at all other than pressing the lever and walking alongside. As you say, it is probably both a software and hardware mod by Flyer, so I'm not sure how easy it would be to adapt other Panasonics.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, it is a Flyer mod on certain of their bikes, expressly for walking up hills as with the Heinzmann one.

Pat

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 18, 2008
On the fast Flyer models they have gone one step further. The lever functions like an e-bike throttle, allowing speeds of up to 12,5mph without pedalling. But this only applies to Germany .

Beanie101

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2008
Verbier, Switzerland
On the fast Flyer models they have gone one step further. The lever functions like an e-bike throttle, allowing speeds of up to 12,5mph without pedalling. But this only applies to Germany .
So if you did in Germany what I tried on foot in Switzerland, the bike would make a break for it?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So if you did in Germany what I tried on foot in Switzerland, the bike would make a break for it?
No, because on the high speed version the "walkies" control is a throttle, allowing intermediate settings. Must be a bit fiddly to keep it steady while walking uphill though.

Still, anyone who can afford one of those bikes can afford to have his chauffeur following with a pickup.