Focus have launched there 2016 ebike range

dinger19

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2014
Kent
Here we go sorry no prices or availability yet.

Reactions: Sherman

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I’m not sure I like the Derby Cycles new battery styles. The neatly shaped batteries on the down tube are not particularly intrusive looking, and this semi integrated type just looks a bit naff to me. I suppose it might have benefits for weatherproofing though since it connects directly to the motor like the behind the seat post Kalkhoffs.

I wonder if the days of the behind the seat post battery mount for that range are numbered too?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I like the new shape, about time too, the old shape looks geriatric to me. The rear wheel is now nearer to the bottom bracket, improves not just the look of the bikes, the new shape offers better weight distribution.

Reactions: rippedupno1

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I like that integral battery style,gives the bike a very clean appearance...the problem with these integral batteries is that every one is unique,that inevitably means high cost.
I have a number of new bikes to be released at the NEC cycle show late September. It is a real battle to stop manufacturers using a different battery style for every new model.....ok the water bottle style is somewhat 'old hat' now,but 10 Ah for £200 replacement costs is attractive.
I suppose if you put a unique battery with unique connections on a bike it does mean you have to go back to the dealer to replace,without alternative.
The e-bike section at the NEC seems smaller than last year,we took the last available stand.
KudosDave

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I suppose in Derby Cycle’s case that’s no change since the current Impulse batteries are unique to the range and consequently very expensive.

This new style could have worked well but this is too much style and not enough substance for me. Those little bends in the frame for instance. WTF are they actually for?

C

Cyclezee

I quite like the look of the Focus, but I guess it won't be cheap.

{moderated}

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Kudoscycles

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I have never liked the behind the seat tube battery position it often increased the wheelbase to the extent that it affected the handling of the bike and gave the bike a dragster appearance.
I like the new Chinese battery shape used on our Kudos Rapide,it is very Bosch in appearance,the replacement cost is still less than £250.00....this battery shape seems to be adopted by others so should be volume produced and inexpensive.
My attitude is to force the manufacturers to design the bike to accept standardised parts rather than let them make unique parts for every model-for example that battery shape could be moulded into the down tube to produce a similar integral look without using a unique battery.
Customers are starting to ask how much are replacement batteries and are definitely put off a purchase if the battery is very expensive.
KudosDave

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
The long wheelbase makes for a stable comfortable longer ride through, and as long as you don’t try to throw it around it goes round corners fine. I like the WW 1 destroyer like long lean shape too. It’s a bit like a Brough Superior. Wouldn’t want to ride like TE Lawrence rode his though. He was tired of life.

Lawrence_of_Arabia_Brough_Superior_gif.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc
C

Cyclezee

My attitude is to force the manufacturers to design the bike to accept standardised parts rather than let them make unique parts for every model-for example that battery shape could be moulded into the down tube to produce a similar integral look without using a unique battery.
Like this?
maintenance_mini-480.jpg

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Oh look! Two keys, what does the second one open <ducking>

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Those little bends in the frame for instance. WTF are they actually for?
Probably an attempt to alleviate the discomfort that the straight line of the frame from rear wheel to headstock causes. The rigidity of alloy frames has a real discomfort factor compared to the old steel ones. That frame style makes matters worse, the traditional frame with more horizontal crossbar being better.

Putting a curve into the tubes absorbs some of the energy transfer through the frame. Biketec with their Flyer range have long had a curved down tube style for this reason, the curved tubes seen on some Chinese frames like those on some Wisper and Freego bikes likewise.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Maybe. But I suspect it’s more a styling thing like practically everything else these days.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Maybe. But I suspect it’s more a styling thing like practically everything else these days.
Certainly, but it started out as alleviation and that's probably their excuse for incorporating this style now.

It used to be done much better, Flyers originally had a swan neck down tube, but some didn't like the look, hence their succumbing to style considerations with their somewhat straighter single curve now.