Folded tyres delivered

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I fork our for two new Marathon Plus tyres and they arrived by parcel force just now more or less folded into a figure eight. Undid the package are they are so badly distorted I`m not sure if they will ever be the same.

I`m P***** off and very angry. Am I being unreasonable?

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Herb

Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2009
Am I being unreasonable?

SJS Cycles sent me a Panaracer Tour Guard Rigid tyre in a similar fashion, at the time it worried me but on unwrapping it soon recovered.

You could ring another supplier and ask how they would send the marathons, this may put your mind at rest.

Herb

PS. It’s all down to letterbox size - 9" square or 26" wide

Last edited:

john

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester
I fork our for two new Marathon Plus tyres and they arrived by parcel force just now more or less folded into a figure eight. Undid the package are they are so badly distorted I`m not sure if they will ever be the same.

I have had tyres arrive folded into a figure eight before and they have bounced out OK so this may be normal practice. The Marathon Plus may not be suited to that treatment due to their more rigid design.

nitrambo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 5, 2008
Folding tyres for shipment is normal... it cuts down postage costs. Over the last 10 years I have never had tyres delivered that were not folded. I have never had any that didnt fit Ok after hanging them un-folded for a day or so.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've always had Marathon Plus for various bikes delivered without being folded, sizes involved being 700c, 26" and 20". In each case different suppliers have couriered them in large bags.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I`ve phoned and complained and was told if I requeted them in a wheel box then that`s how they would have been sent. I` also been told that after fitting them if I`m not 100% happy they will exchange them.AND!!! a lot of people are asking for tyres to be sent out flat now days.

It just seems like sacrilege to bend something like this out of shape.

Some people have been saying that these can be a bit troublesome to fit!! well if they got them through parcel force in this condition then I`m not one bit surprised.

I`ll probably look to other suppliers in the future because this is not good practice in my book whether it`s industry standard or not, we are talking a 12"x12" x9" parcel as opposed to a 26" diameter 3" parcel. Which ever way either one would not go through a letter box.

Lloyd

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2010
Some do, some don't. What you need to check is the bead of the tyre. That is the hard steel bit that runs round the circumference of the tyre on the inside, one each side. Generally it is ok to fold them, but for piece of mind just check where the fold was and make sure the bead hasn't come through the casing, or become kinked. As long as the bead is fine with some air in the tyre it will be fine.

It is annoying though when they become folded, but many online retailers do this as it does save on postage.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I don't recall my tyres from SJS being folded, perhaps this is new practice...I think I'd be upset as well...can't see how folding them would do them any good or infact save much postage space....

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Both fitted easy(no levers or soap) but my hands are fairly large and still fairly strong.

Thanks for the replies.

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
I got two Marathon Plus tyres from SJS...not folded, well wrapped and parceled in thick black polythene.

...I would not have been happy had they been folded.

....Mike

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
Got mine from the LBS (as I had noticed the covers on the Kenda ones fail in the morning at work and didn't want to risk riding home with dodgy tyres!) and one wasn't folded but slightly "squashed/misshapen".

Didn't seem to affect it at all, and nor have I found them that hard to remove or put on... (I have always used marathon plus on all my push bikes as well) I do use a "speedlever" for removal and for putting them on methodically work my way around the rim pushing in the bead.

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex

Well your not alone Old Timer, I received two Marathon plus tyre's today delivered by UPS and stuffed in a cardboard box that was around 14in x 12in x 10in. One wasn't too badly distorted but the other had a couple of quite severe bends in the beads which proved almost impossible to get out en-tyre-ly. No your not being unreasonable the factory doesn't ship them that way so why should the retailer? Thinking about it, wrapped in polythene unfolded they would go through a letter box so where's the benefit in folding them.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Well your not alone Old Timer, I received two Marathon plus tyre's today delivered by UPS and stuffed in a cardboard box that was around 14in x 12in x 10in. One wasn't too badly distorted but the other had a couple of quite severe bends in the beads which proved almost impossible to get out en-tyre-ly. No your not being unreasonable the factory doesn't ship them that way so why should the retailer? Thinking about it, wrapped in polythene unfolded they would go through a letter box so where's the benefit in folding them.
Well I`m not alone, I know it is probably industry standard but it isn`t right. After my first ride when I got the puncture I removed the Marathon to repair the puncture and after two day on the bike with 65lbs of pressure in it it was still disorted to hell. OK! maybe I`m being finicky but Onmebike, tell me just how you felt when you saw the damage please? I bet you were gutted after buying what is a premium product.

If I was to try to tell you how I feel about it then it`s just like when a considerate council plants some tree saplings in an area to try to bring a bit of decency in and some mindless B****** breaks they off. I`ve planted a number of new trees around our property this year and if I saw someone vandalising one I truly would not be responsible for my actions.

I remember once sending one of my vans to fit a new aluminium shopfront and some ali bead trim to tidy up the joint and instead of strapping the bead to the ladder on the roof of the van they (being lazy)stuck it inside the van doubled up and I got a complaint from the client. When I re-visited the site to check things out and saw the mess i sacked them. There is no excuse in my book.

What are you going to do about the damaged bead on one?

BTW my wifes MTB now has a front puncture (standard tyre) I think I will fit a pair of those internal anti puncture kits to her bike and see how they fair.

I feel for you