Folder conversion number 1 (with pics)

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Sooooooo

Cheap folder with added mid drive kit from Home

Picture 008_800x598.jpgPicture 012_800x598.jpgPicture 009_800x598.jpgPicture 014_307x600.jpg

Issues...

The kit chain wheel is a bit small for adding peddle power at higher speeds so could do with having a few more teeth.

The cost saving of using 3 SLA batteries in a box on the back rack was a dum idea.. (really really dum :rolleyes:) cheap yes but so heavy.. so a proper LiFePO4 battery has now been ordered.

Apart from the above its ok, it even does wheelies (assisted by the weight on the carrier..lol)

My son made me stop getting the front wheel up... he said that I'm far to old and it will end in tears

Noise is bit louder than a hub, but not excessive.

1st through to 3rd gears are totally pointless, 4th may be of use for a steep hill, I've used 5th for starting off, then into 6th (14t) so I need to have a think but dont want to spend £25 or so on an alternative... maybe changing the free wheel on the motor could be the option?

Last edited:

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Couple of extra piccys.

IMG_0128_800x598.jpgPicture 011_800x598.jpg

M'lud the max speed was of course down hill with a tail wind and lots of peddling .. honest :cool:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Looks good, Dave and should be better with a lithium battery. When you talk about pedal speed, are you saying that you can't pedal fast enough to keep up with the speed the motor turns the crank? How many teeth on your top gear and the chainwheel?

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
How much did it cost in total and how long did it take Dave?

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Evening Dave,

Is this the 350w, 36v kit from GNG?
If so, is it brushed or brushless?

I'm undecided whether to get the 250w brushed version & a speedict (to use pas) or wait & see if they bring out a brushless with pas.

Looking forward to your performance findings!

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Hi jackhandy

Its the 350w 36v brushed one... will try and post meaningful results when the LiFePO4 arrives.

@morphix

How much did it cost in total and how long did it take Dave?
Lol

Cost.. don't remind me, but did go over the top with odds and ends and stuff that I didn't need, so its very hard to say but will try and work it out.

Build time was not a lot... spent more time drinking tea / playing with boxes for batteries and watching TV (cos I was very brave and worked on it in the living room, much to the disgust of Mrs Old_Dave) :rolleyes:

In case she ever sees this.. Yes, I know I have a garage.. and a workshop.. and a spare room.. and another workshop in the loft that I could of used, but I wanted to keep you company and watch your happy little smiling face :cool:

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
In case she ever sees this.. Yes, I know I have a garage.. and a workshop.. and a spare room.. and another workshop in the loft that I could of used, but I wanted to keep you company and watch your happy little smiling face :cool:[/QUOTE]

....(Sharp intake of breath)....

You're fearless, you !

Funny, I have a garage with a small metalwork shop behind it, a bigger woodwork shop down the garden & the spare bedroom for fiddly stuff...... And get it in the neck 'cause I work on bikes in the conservatory :p