Folder - What kit type?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Have 135mm rear so think a rear hub could work but I may not be able to fold as it folds on the side the cables leave the hub. So best option maybe a mid motor which I don't think will obstruct folding. Regarding battery I have rear rack so anything could be adapted to fit that or alternatively the drink bottle mount on the horizontal folding tube (would it obstruct folding?)
The cable comes out the non drive side on the Q100 but it comes out the drive side on some other motors. Also the cable folds down quite close to the axle end (there is usually a slot) so folding should not be a problem.

David Brier

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 4, 2017
Lancaster
The cable comes out the non drive side on the Q100 but it comes out the drive side on some other motors. Also the cable folds down quite close to the axle end (there is usually a slot) so folding should not be a problem.
Thanks for this, good to know I still have options for the stealthier look. Now just need to suss which is best to go with and the battery options.

John Galvin

Pedelecer
May 14, 2014
I converted a Tern in 2014 which would be quite similar to the Dahon. I used a front hub motor and mounted a Frog battery at the front, using the luggage mounts.
It worked out pretty well. If you want any more details, let me know.

Me and the missus have a couple Dahon Mariner folders which were going to take with us to motorhome in Europe. The e-bike thing is not something we had thought about until we were wintering in Spain last year and came across loads of travellers using them to explore the locations more thoroughly.