Folders

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Yeah, I've just had a look on Tesco.com and they all look reasonable, the only problem is I cannot pedal all of the time so I would need a throttle for the motor to take over for a while
A cheap folder with enough grunt for the throttle to 'take over for a while' is a tall order.

A lot of them run at 24 volts and only have a 200 watt motor.

The woosh Gallego has 36 volts and a reasonably perky 250 watt motor.

The Kudos Secret has 220 watts, but Dave has always said it pulls well for what it is.

D

Deleted member 4366

I have one with a tiny 24v 200w motor, much smaller than a Q100. It has enough power to drag a 100kg rider up moderate hills even with its single speed gearing. It only has 12" wheels, so you get plenty of torque, though maximum speed is only 12mph, which is quite adequate. The bike is still fun to ride even without gears.

Reactions: bassace2006

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
My Brompton Nano was good fun in towns on the throttle.

A bit more grunt from the motor would have made it even funner.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I find it often difficult to recommend most electric folders. Too many are badly designed, equiped with just the bare minimum, obsessed with reducing weight, and usually have an unjustifiably high price tag.
Folders need to be not only tough but also comfortable to ride to compensate for their small wheels. Good suspension is not a luxury if you use the folder for commuting because you are going to pay with your back and wrists without it. Crank drive and hub gear are also particularly useful technologies on folders. Crank drive give you extra speed to cruise and extra torque to go over bridges. Hub gear avoids damage to derailler hanger from repetitive folding and unfoldding and fiddling with chain coming off. Lastly, go for folders with in-frame battery. They are much easier to fold and have much better weight distribution.

Last edited:

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Mine is the hopper shopper SE and I love mine and I live half way up a rather steep hill but the legal limit for any road going E-bike is 15.5mph as far as im aware. Brakes are not bad at all. I have no complaints about mine.
many thanks for the feedback, how many miles do you get on a charge and how many cycleshave you gottn out of teh battery? for some inexplicable reason 20 mph feels just right to me (15 too slow, 25 too fast, it's like a bears' porridge thing)

Scott clarke

Pedelecer
May 5, 2015
Miles from full charge to TOTALY flat about 17 miles ish. It's less than 12 months old and only fitted the throttle a few days ago but it works great as for the MPH not sure but the throttle takes me to the same speed as the pedlec on its own and flies down the road for such a tiny bike.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Miles from full charge to TOTALY flat about 17 miles ish. It's less than 12 months old and only fitted the throttle a few days ago but it works great as for the MPH not sure but the throttle takes me to the same speed as the pedlec on its own and flies down the road for such a tiny bike.
many thanks,for the money it sounds more and more the inevitable next bike for me, is derestricting possible at all (i understand you havent done it), i have a dodgy bit of fast B road to traverse, and doing it faster than 15 is a good thing

Scott clarke

Pedelecer
May 5, 2015
many thanks,for the money it sounds more and more the inevitable next bike for me, is derestricting possible at all (i understand you havent done it), i have a dodgy bit of fast B road to traverse, and doing it faster than 15 is a good thing
I have no idea if you can de restrict it but it does have a usb programming lead to the controller so it may be possible.

bassace2006

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 15, 2011
In the black box on the back of the bike under the battery is the controller and there is a vacant slot for a throttle I just fitted one to my hopper shopper. Just pluged straight in. Cost a tenner off ebay but we have members who have throttles for sale here in our group for that bike. Dead simple job to do.
Ok, cheers for that, I will consider one of them then. :)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
virtually all bikes without LCD display are not restricted, to go fast, just pedal hard, you'll get assisted all the way.
You need more Amps to go fast on throttle alone. Scott clarke can confirm that by the number of Amps on the controller's label. On a 36V bike, 14A for 15mph, 17A for 20 mph, 20A for 23mph - you get the idea.

D

Deleted member 4366

virtually all bikes without LCD display are not restricted, to go fast, just pedal hard, you'll get assisted all the way.
You need more Amps to go fast on throttle alone. Scott clarke can confirm that by the number of Amps on the controller's label. On a 36V bike, 14A for 15mph, 17A for 20 mph, 20A for 23mph - you get the idea.
Hold on. It doesn't matter how many amps you throw at a hub-motor, you can't make it go faster than its maximum RPM. It's rare to get an OEM bike with a hub-motor that's wound for more than 20 mph, so that's the top speed. A million amps won't change that. The Viking Ego has 20" wheels, so the winding speed could be less than 20 mph - probably closer to 15 mph.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the Amps are necessary to overcome the air resistance. The maximum noload RPM varies with the battery's state of charge, a less important factor in my view. The maximum achievable speed is somewhere around 80% of noload RPM assuming you have the Amps in the first place. If you want speed, crank drive is the way to go (BBS02 48V 500W).

bassace2006

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 15, 2011
Thank you everyone for your input, I have just bought a Byocycles City Speed 20 from Ebikes direct on 'sale'. I have to say I have only been out on it once and I am impressed with it. I don't have my cycle computer on it yet so I don't know how quick it is. But I have to say even in 6th gear I had difficulty in keeping up with it on the highest assist level, or the 'Wiggins' level as I now call it.
http://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/Item/Brands/Byocycle/Byocycle_City_Speed_20_Folding_Electric_Bike.aspx
I have no illusions about the bike as it is entry-level ebike and a Chinese import to boot (I think). But for £549 inc VAT I think it is a great (and reasonably affordable) route into the world of ebikes. And of course, as Ebikes become more popular, and battery technology improves the prices will come down.
I have to say that I believe the future of ebikes, in fact bicycles in general are, 'Copenhagen Wheel' Shaped.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCixGpLlbHeXodjBY1nOTm-g

Reactions: Scott clarke

HopShop

Just Joined
Mar 29, 2017
Exmouth
Hi Scott I'm looking for an instruction manual for the Hopper Shopper SE - do you by any chance still have yours?
Many thanks
Allison

D

Deleted member 4366

If you want to know anything specific, just ask. there's nothing special about those bikes that you need a manual for.

HopShop

Just Joined
Mar 29, 2017
Exmouth
D8veh thanks for responding.

I've ordered a replacement battery from BMBatteries (as the original was stolen) which is like this one (except 24 volt) .....https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/704-36v10ah-li-ion-little-frog-ebike-battery-pack-ecitypower-battery.html. I just wondered how you fit them on and how to generally turn on and off the power when cycling etc (I haven't had an electric bike before).

Also I'm desperately searching for a basket that will fit - Halfords said I won't get one to fit!

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Could I please ask owners of folding ebikes, which one do you ride and what do you think of it? Thank you in advance.
Hi all bikes are compromises and folders particularly so. At any price point the fittings will be lesser than those on a fixed bike. Having said that.. a folder provides advantages also. Transport and storage.
Small wheels good and bad .. good in cities more manuverable , bad on ruts
Cyclists Stance compromised by the location of the hinge , does not matter over short distances but would over longer distances.
The peddles, the handlebars and handlebar stem need to be adjustable in order to minimise volume and these are more expensive than on a fixed bike so the compromise will be on motor power, battery size

Swinman

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2016
Leicester
D8veh thanks for responding.

I've ordered a replacement battery from BMBatteries (as the original was stolen) which is like this one (except 24 volt) .....https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/704-36v10ah-li-ion-little-frog-ebike-battery-pack-ecitypower-battery.html. I just wondered how you fit them on and how to generally turn on and off the power when cycling etc (I haven't had an electric bike before).

Also I'm desperately searching for a basket that will fit - Halfords said I won't get one to fit!
Don't worry there will be plenty of help from the people on here when you get your replacement battery, as for the basket your better off trying a bike shop as in a local independent as they will often have more of an idea what will work for you , all the best

Jason P

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2014
Although you've bought already, I'll chime in with a vote for the Kudos Secret. I've been really impressed with mine - I've gradually replaced some components that were wearing (pedals, brakes) but overall I'm happy with it - easily copes with a 9-mile each way commute through London, comfortable and most importantly rides like a bigger bike. Recommended.