Folding bike - Kudos Secret vs Woosh Zephyr CD vs Other?

richardadc

Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2013
Heh, not even sure I have a view at the moment. I will definitely try it - though it may have to wait a few weeks until I'm free on a Saturday.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
What about the pacific if mode?

http://www.pacific-cycles.com/product3.asp?cat1=1&cat2=4&pid=48

A little bit overpriced. But fast and rolls once folded. So you won't break your back when the operator absolutely want to you carry your bike folded in the train?

A cheaper option would be the tilt:
http://www.btwin.com/en/26-folding-bikes

It can fold in 1 second and roll once folded.

I don't understand why the bike builder only make bikes for people wanting to fold it inside the boot of their car.

As commuter, most dahon, tern and other are just not convenient in a train station when you are required to keep it folded during THE WHOLE JOURNEY. And sometime you have to walk far to reach from station to station. I can guarantee you that walking with a 20kg bike is NO FUN AT ALL.

So once folded, just roll it as a luggage and you'll keep it next to you anyway..

D

Deleted member 4366

The bit I don't understand is the need to modify chainrings, and why there is only 5 minutes to get to the station. Why can't you leave 5 minutes earlier to have 10 minutes to get to the station? The journeys are all so ridiculously short that I wouldn't bother with an electric bike.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
If you time the trip I suspect the difference on pedalling down hill will only add up to seconds unless the hill is a mile long.
Average times are vastly more affected by climbing speed than down hill speed.

richardadc

Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2013
cwah, they're some nice bikes and seem to be well thought out. I'll take a proper look. You're also right that maybe leaving a bike at the other end could be a good idea.

d8veh, the reason for the time frame is i have to drop the kids off first. By the time I get out it leaves me about 8 mins before the train i need to get leaves. The reason for wanting an electric bike is due to the incline and the speed required to do it is enough to make me feel uncomfortable. The chainring change is just down to I want to be able to pedal at a reasonable speed while going down hill - i'm not sure this is possible with the current gearing.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Just did a quick calculation as an example going down hill at say 30 kph (not pedalling) as opposed to 40 kph (pedalling) down a 250m long hill will make 7.5 seconds difference! Basiclly having no effect on your ride time.
Uphill will save minutes as you are climbing much more slowly, with electric assist as you will probably double your speed uphill thus halving the time taken to climb.

richardadc

Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2013
The problem is that on my way there two thirds on my journey is down hill and using your calculation I would lose 45 seconds. That's quite a bit when my whole journey is just 5 minutes. I need an electric bike with decent enough gearing that it's not that much of an issue. I have no idea if I'm asking too much or worrying over nothing. As I said I've never had a bike with less than 21 gears - I don't know what to expect.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
The problem is that on my way there two thirds on my journey is down hill and using your calculation I would lose 45 seconds. That's quite a bit when my whole journey is just 5 minutes. I need an electric bike with decent enough gearing that it's not that much of an issue. I have no idea if I'm asking too much or worrying over nothing. As I said I've never had a bike with less than 21 gears - I don't know what to expect.
If you go into a full tuck you will probably hit similar speeds, my upright Dutch style bike is good for an extra 10 to 20 KPH down hill in a full tuck as opposed to sitting upright, down a 20% hill you should pull well over 70 kph even sitting up.
So just make yourself as streamlined as possible and dont bother with the pedalling down steeper hills the speed difference may even go in favour of the full tuck over pedalling as you can move your knees and elbows in, head almost on the bars and the pedals aren't disturbing airflow, I then stay as tucked as possible as the hill flattens out and pedal until speed bleeds off and sit back up.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the need for a bigger chainring is addressed in the Zephyr by using a hub gear, like in the Bromptons.
It's rare to see a folding e-bike design improving so fast. The Zephyr CDN is probably the folding bike with the most pleasant power delivery, comfort and uncluttered wiring.
Most Woosh bikes (Sirocco CD & Big Bear) are designed for commuters, their main market. The Zephyr is mainly for riding comfortably within 10 miles radius on hilly terrains and offroad, a bike that you can easily take on holiday to continental Europe.

Last edited:

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
- i imagine mainly down to the suspension which I didn't even realise it had. On this size of bike it would have been better without IMO.
Try small-wheeled bikes, with & without suspension, on a rough-ish road before deciding.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Cwah,my Kudos Secret folds much tighter than that Tilt bike.
Richard,there are any number of folding bikes with 20" wheels and I am sure that all sellers will tell you that they will fold in a few seconds,I am trying to be honest with you and tell you that these bikes are very difficult to fold on busy railway stations,you have to be practical about these matters.
I find the bike easier to handle by folding down the handlebars and the seat ,it is a very compact package.
In the end you need to try the Woosh,the Batribike ,the Kudos Secret and any others and buy the bike that is nicest to ride and the one you find most attractive.
I do find that this forum is becoming full of postings which are clearly plants by the suppliers,it's unfortunate that it is becoming difficult to discern between the plants and the genuine postings.
I can assure you that Kudos has no plants on this forum,we are too busy to play such games,but as a sensible person I am sure you seek impartiality.
KudosDave

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
among 20" folders, the Pacific has the neatest fold, all bikes with middle fold are about as clumsy as one another. That's because the wheels are difficult to keep parallel when you wheel the bikes around either holding the saddle, or holding the stand that is welded to the bottom bracket. The flopping handlebars make it worse. Maybe it could be improved by adding rollers to the bottom bracket.

Reactions: superDove

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Can you roll the secret once folded? or do you have to carry 19kg all over the stations?

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
At low speed, the Strida can also be considered:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I do find that this forum is becoming full of postings which are clearly plants by the suppliers,it's unfortunate that it is becoming difficult to discern between the plants and the genuine postings.
I can assure you that Kudos has no plants on this forum,we are too busy to play such games,but as a sensible person I am sure you seek impartiality.
KudosDave
which posts are you referring to?

D

Deleted member 4366

Richard, you didn't really answer my question. What's stopping you from setting the alarm clocks 5 minutes earlier, and doing everything earlier, i.e. drop the kids off 5 minutes earlier?

richardadc

Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2013
D8veh if it was that easy don't you think I'd do it? The nursery opens at 8 am - I can't drop them off earlier. There is no other childcare that I can use. I don't intentionally make my life hard. ☺

Cwah tbh unless there is a jobsworth at the station I'd only have keep is folded on the actual train. Most people don't fold the bike before entering the station as per the official rules.

Another bike I've seen is the ezee dahon bullet - has anyone tried this? There is barely any info on it. The weight is just 18kg and if I put the battery in my bag could bring the bike down to 15kg.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
maybe on the train it's not required. But my experience in london underground is that as soon as you pass the gate you need to have it folded

D

Deleted member 4366

Surely, there's some parents that walk their kids to the childcare place. Why can't you leave your kids with them? You only have to meet them up the road to save your vital seconds, and the childcare centre really opens at 8:00 precisely - to the second?