Folding bike or full size

Jay12345

Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2020
Hi I need to commute in a city to work 5 miles one way. I weight 65kg Should I buy folding bike or full size bike. Thank you

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
As an owner of a Brompton, which I did buy origionally and used extensivly for commuting, I would agree with @flecc.

The Brompton, now converted to electric, is an ideal commuting bike if you have a mixed public transport and cycle commute, or nowhere to store a bike at work.

However I also commuted for many years on a good quality racing type bike, that was heaps better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jay12345

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
While not disagreeing with the overall sentiments here. There are many reasons to choose folding bikes;

Easy to get on and off public transport

Quick and twitchy steering to move in and out of urban traffic

Typically low geared so easier for stop and start riding

Easier to store in a flat or accommodation with limited space

Ideal for homes where multiple people want to use a bike but only storage for one bike. Folding bikes can be resized for different people easily.

Easy to get on and off the bike where necessary for walking bits if necessary.

Often easier to store more securely at a workplace.

I personally think the case for buying a folding bike can often be compelling for some people.

Of course there are lots of reason why you don't want a folding bike too.

Warwick2

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2021
Will you use the bike for any other purpose; e.g. leisure rides? If so, maybe a full-sized bike is the way to go.

I'd echo the advice given above, but give you my experience of commuting with both folding and full-size bikes.

My current commute involves a bridleway that gets muddy in parts and has a stretch of very poorly maintained tarmac, then a short train hop, then a few miles on decent cyclepaths and quiet roads. On my full-suspension Haibike, that's not a problem, it sails over the bumps and the knobblies make the muddy bits insignificant. The converted Brompton is very skittish on the muddy bits and I have to slow right down on the bumpy tarmac. It does get me to the station OK though. By default I take the Haibike. The train staff have never had an issue with it, even at 8am. The Leamington to Nuneaton flyer is hardly ever busy!

If your commute involves public roads and is urban then a folding bike should be OK. BUT there are folding bikes and folding bikes. On my Brompton I can ride down a hill at 20MPH and feel in control and safe. On a 16"-wheeled Dahon it felt like I was taking my life in my hands. A Brompton will keep its value as well and is easy to convert if you feel up to the task. There's a thread discussing the conversion of Bromptons using the Woosh kit. My converted M3L cost me c.£1500, including the kit.

I should add that I am able to keep both my bikes indoors when I get to work. That might not be so easy for you. If I had to lock the Haibike outside, I'd possibly use the Brompton more.

If my commute was urban roads and 5 miles, and I could only have one bike I'd go for a full-sized bike, as long as I could guarantee its security...

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi I need to commute in a city to work 5 miles one way. I weight 65kg Should I buy folding bike or full size bike. Thank you
There are a few full size bikes that are also folding. Best of both worlds.
I have been using one for almost 5 years, with no problems. It folds easily and to make it even smaller (I have never needed to do this), it has a quick release on the front wheel.....26" wheels, not a minibike as such, therefore far more stable in use.
Also, most important for me personally, the battery is very easily and quickly changed, as I have two of them!
Plus the bike, with all extras (other than the GPS), with two batteries, semi fat tyres, USB charging point, full suspension front & rear, including customs and transport fees, costs less than 1,000 UK Pounds delivered the, and is only slightly more expensive today.....
It has a rear hub motor that generally speaking rarely go wrong, in comparison to many mid motor disasters.
It also has no CANBUS system, another possibly (financial) disaster for many owners of bikes with such systems.....
Basically, a realiable e-bike will not have CANBUS, nor a mid motor (where the stress of both the motor and rider are transmitted through the same chain, causing wear and possible early failure of ascociated chain components.
The CANBUS is used on some bikes to prevent DIY maintainers maintaining their bikes, and likely to brick the controller, or the battery or the motor, if touched by the owner!
Also used by the manufacturers, to make spares only available to licensed Bike shops, plus the need to pay a heavy hourly rate for any work done. For example, a single Bosch replacement mid motor (no guarantee if it's new or just repaired!), with work hours, costs more than my bike cost new!
Looking back, theoretically, I could have bought two (identical) bikes, the second one for all spares and a second battery, but I did not think of that at the time, sadly!! But as it has proved to be VERY reliable, there really was no need after all.
If you would like more details of anything I have written, just send me an email over Pedelec, or post a question here.
regards
Andy

lightning

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2022
l have a full size ebike, a full suspension Kona and it's fabulous

However l also have a folding ebike, a Mirider 1 which is quite small and has 16" wheels.

For road riding the Mirider is absolutely fine and l often choose it (over the Kona) when going for a road only ride.

Stability and general ride feel is fine on the folder, l expected major compromises from those small wheels but it's great to ride.

One thing, l changed the narrow, flat bars for some slightly wider risers (Mirider's own £20 upgrade bars) and it's a whole lot better.

Another advantage of the Mirider is it's so light, compared to a full size ebike, that l can pick it up and carry it into the house, or any other place l've ridden to, and it's easy to throw it into the back of the car and go out somewhere for a ride.

Obviously for off-road riding the Kona (or any full size bike with front/full suspension) is going to be much better, although the Mirider will cope surprisingly well with bridleways and paths, as it does have a rear suspension unit.

Sarge1892

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 5, 2023
depending on what you want in a bike you can get folders that have all the benefits of non folders like folding mountain bikes and such

typically they just fold in the mid frame there not as compact as say a brompton but half theresize when folded

that being said how committed are you to commuting on this? is this just a spring summer mid autum venture or are you planning to ditch the car for this

if your planning to ditch a brompton might be the choice for you as when the weather turns you retain the ability to ride home with a co-worker or take a bus

I was actually amazed at how small bromptons fold when I was on a train and a guy walks up sits beside me on the train and places his promotion between his knees and the seat infront

that being said for me I went for a folding fat tyre with a larger frame as I use my bike exclusively for transport in all four seasons so I needed cargo capacity and wanted a wider tire so it handled nicer less speed wobble more traction etc

idk how you might go about this maybe talk to a bike shop but perhaps take some trial rides on the different frames that interest you see what you like the feel of the most

DBrown67

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2017
Leeds
I'm 6ft tall and have a full size MTB and a Brompton 75 that I modded to my needs. Both have hub drive kits fitted from Woosh. Each have their own advantages/disadvantages in my experience. I've covered about 3500 miles on the MTB and just over 2500 on the Brompton, but I've had the MTB about 2 years longer.

Full size bike with the chunky tyres is more comfortable. Disc brakes by far superior to the Brompton. And of course can go off road much more. I can also ride this bike without the electric power, but it is a heavy beast. I cannot ride the Brompton without electric power. I'm not a strong cyclist and the three gears aren't enough for me at all.

However, the Brompton feels nippier under power. Pulls away quicker (smaller wheels) and at home I just half fold it in the hallway (tuck rear wheel under). Much lighter than the MTB and in the summer I can put it in the boot of the car. With Marathon Plus tyres (an absolute MUST) I have not had a single puncture in a full year. Before that I couldn't go a week without a puncture on the Brompton.

I tend to use the Brompton much more now. The MTB is a spare. My commute is reasonably flat about 20 mins each way. Brompton is just a bit more convenient for me. I rarely ever need to fold fully though.

• Informative
Reactions: sjpt

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
You do see adverse comments about the Brompton, the small wheels, must be unstable, the rim brakes etc, but not so many adverse comments from Brompton owners, odd that.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
You do see adverse comments about the Brompton, the small wheels, must be unstable, the rim brakes etc, but not so many adverse comments from Brompton owners, odd that.
Probably not "odd", in these people are likely to have researched, trialed and into ownership gained experience?

I, a keen almost lifelong cyclist, now into my eighties held great misgiving on all sub 27".
Circumstances change, and quite recently I needed to add in a bus transportable bike.
I tried, always a constructive step, various offerings and was gob smacked by how competently a Brompton coped with the cycling tasks it is primarily aimed at doing. Plus, being as compact folding as I could find.
Relative to even some 20" wheelers, they have somehow achieved excellent stability, my suspicion the "secret" is the twin hinging enables a long wheel base?
I will never pretend it "rides" like my carbon 700 Felt road bike, but then they are focused on very differing uses; it though is way better on narrow convoluted cycleways and shared pedestrian loaded pathways, and for taking on the bus, they are poles apart.
As with many things its "horses for courses" & some features in all bring compromises.
Task one is to understand what features you seek and the compromises they come with. One with the Brompton is certainly the unbelievable price!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Brompton owners also tend to be enthusiasts for the brand and many things engender that enthusiasm, apart from being a good design anyway:

Designed by a Brit, hand made in Britain, here in London in fact. And as Ocsid remarks, reassuringly expensive, and people do tend to justify their expensive purchases.

A further big factor is that the Folder Magazine, dedicated to folding bikes which later evolved into A to B Magazine, was founded and always produced by David Henshaw, a Brompton enthusiast. Indeed the whole Henshaw family rode Bromptons. Such was the A to B Magazine's expressed enthusiasm for the brand that owners of rival brands often called it the "Brompton Owners Club".

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Relative to even some 20" wheelers, they have somehow achieved excellent stability, my suspicion the "secret" is the twin hinging enables a long wheel base?
Agreed. In fact the one major frame modification during it's design lifetime was further lengthening the wheelbase by extending the forward frame tube ahead of the hinge by 20mm in 2004.

Last edited: