Folding ebike - ideally sub £1k

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
I’m looking for a reasonable branded folding ebike (so I have a warranty and can buy a replacement battery) for myself to ride.

It needs to be folding for storage and I’d like to be able to push it when folded rather than lugging it around. Weight isn’t a major issue as long as it has a jockey wheel.

I‘ve had a total ankle replacement so my restricted range of motion means it’s sometimes difficult to manage a full pedal rotation (or at least do it in a smooth motion) so I’d ideally like a thumb or twist throttle option. I’m guessing that cadence rather than torque assistance would suit this better but have no real clue !

Range isn’t a major issue - maximum round trip would be 20-25 miles actual range.

I’m around 5’6” and 13st (lockdown weight).

I’d prefer to be outwardly legal as I don’t want to compromise my driving licence but am not averse to minor modifications that may make live easier.

Any recommendations please.

Thanks.

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Reactions: Edward Elizabeth

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Very good value. I'm not sure when it will be back in; also not sure about the jockey wheel.
First week in September.
If you intend to pull the folded bike, you will need a bungee cord to keep the folded bike folded.
For pulling on a flat surface, you can balance the folded Rambletta on one of its wheels and pull by the saddle because its wheels are not parallel when folded. That's common to all bikes that have a mid fold.

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
What’s the general opinion of this as an entry level ?

I do quite like the Rambletta but not sure if the walk function is enough to get me going initially.

I also wish I was back at work for the sole reason of C2W benefits.

Last edited:

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
Well, I’m still narrowing this down but have been to look at the B’Twin at Decathlon and the Enik Snap-In at Towshure. Both are similarly priced but the Enik is 36V vs 24V for the B’Twin and it also has the internal gear set which I prefer to the full Shimano rigging.

The B’Twin felt slightly lighter and had just been unpacked. It felt fairly sturdy whereas the Enik was out on display and I noticed that the seat post rotated very easily so the saddle could be pointing to all 4 corners without much pressure.

Finally the curve ball is the MiiRider One 2020. Well outside my original budget and no opportunity to see it anytime soon but it’s lighter than the others and gets good press reviews. I particularly like the boost function to help me when my ankle stalls ! However, it’s a very new company and only has one product so may not be in it for the long term.

links below.

EDIT: Could this post please be approved in order that other members can offer advice. Thanks.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I do quite like the Rambletta but not sure if the walk function is enough to get me going initially.
the walk assist is only one of the available facilities. I suspect only a few of my customers ever use it. Its only use to us is to test the bike.
The Rambletta has normal 5 level pedal assist and a throttle.
The law bans manufacturers to fit twist and go throttle, so you have to pedal a couple of seconds before the throttle is activated.
If you have difficulty pedalling, change to gear 1 or 2, that will reduce the amount of initial pedalling to 1-2 meters before the throttle is activated.
The Rambletta is in my viiew the best sub £1,000 e-bike on the market today.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grebacwhite

Pedaluma

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2020
worth a read even just for the banter
This is the Electric Bikes Section and not the Conversion Kits Section yet I see some overlap. I took a used inexpensive Giant brand folding bike and put the throttle inside the pedals with a torque sensor so that under California law it is a 28Mph Class 3 eBike. The sensor's sensitivity can be boosted by rolling the bike backwards at start. The battery is easily removable for transport. A thumb throttle can be plugged in but that kills the feel and performance. I had my ankle rebuilt. The first thing physical therapy did was put me on a bike.

Attachments