Folding eMTBs

Zilzy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 26, 2020
I am looking at getting my 1st ebike and have narrowed it down to a few based on my needs. I want a full size bike but needs to be folding for the peak trains I will be commuting on. Needs to be 250W and ideally have a load capacity of around 150Kg. Been looking at:
Evo Bike Ltd

Legend Etna

Rich Bit 860

Woosh zephyr B

Any thoughts or other suggestions?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I would recommend up to 100kg or 16st for rider weight.
Perfect for 5ft10-6ft rider but will be OK for 5ft6 to 6ft1.

Zilzy

Jan 26, 2020
I would recommend up to 100kg or 16st for rider weight.
Perfect for 5ft10-6ft rider but will be OK for 5ft6 to 6ft1.
That's a shame and a bit surprising considering the website says "
The Zephyr-B is best if:
- You need a high speed comfortable folding bike
- You weigh more than 100kgs
- You live in a hilly city"

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
- You weigh more than 100kgs
that's a mistake, I will correct it tomorrow.
The first Zephyr-B (2016) was built for up to 25st riders, it had the very torquey Bafang BPM 160mm motor but since 2018, we changed the motor to its smaller brother, Bafang SWX02 140mm motor.
Thw SWX02 can go up to 20st.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
They are all dreadful Chinese contraptions which are best avoided.

Folding them regularly to get on and off trains is not a realistic possibility.

If you must have one, at least avoid the bikes with the especially nasty moulded wheels.

Zilzy

Jan 26, 2020
that's a mistake, I will correct it tomorrow.
The first Zephyr-B (2016) was built for up to 25st riders, it had the very torquey Bafang BPM 160mm motor but since 2018, we changed the motor to its smaller brother, Bafang SWX02 140mm motor.
Thw SWX02 can go up to 20st.
Ah I see, thanks

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Is there not something of a challenge in having a folding mountain bike, particularly those shown where the fold is at the point of maximum bending moment?

Is this not a case of "MTB style"?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Is there not something of a challenge in having a folding mountain bike, particularly those shown where the fold is at the point of maximum bending moment?
that's true, the MTB is just the style.
I added this to the web page:
The MTB refers to this style of bikes, this bike is only suitable for on road and light forestry track use, certainly not downhill.

Zilzy

Jan 26, 2020
It's looking unlikely that I will find a folding bike that meets my requirements within my budget which is around £1500 max nearer £1000 would be better. I have double checked the train routes and a couple of the trains allow all bikes. So that being said can anyone recommend any mtb or hybrid ebike that could suit my needs of a 250W ebike removable battery and carry combined load of rider and bag of 140+kg.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
These often get good write ups
https://www.oxygenbicycles.com/
Another, though much lighter pedelec member Kangaroo rated this folder which seems cheap enough to take a chance on.
https://www.piratescave.co.uk/seago-folding-electric-bike.html
I am over the weight limit on my hard tail Haibike that has covered around half of its over 11,500 miles commuting life off road, so I suspect the weight limits are conservative. However if you are heavy and go for a rear hub powered bike you might need to keep an eye on the tightness of your spokes and tighten them or replace them as required on a regular basis. https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/haibike-sduro-hardseven-sl-2015-yamaha-7-month-1600-miles.22644/page-9
I also managed to buy for a very cheap £100 from the classified section an old rear hub bike that I now use to commute to work on when I will be riding on the road there and back. It took very little attention to get it working and has done over 600 miles so far using its original battery. As documented I have had to replace spokes in the rear wheel when they have broken but at 20p a spoke I am not too crest fallen.https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/the-tale-of-a-£100-second-hand-electric-bike.33079/#post-497978 Oxygen have always given me very good customerservice and provided me with any bits I needed to keep me on the road.

Reactions: Zilzy and Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
140kgs is in the Big Bear territory.
Rear motorwheels need dishing, that is the drive side spokes are shorter than the non drive side, causing the load on the rim unevenly distributed. That's why spokes break more often on rear motorwheels than on front motorwheels. On top of this issue, motorwheels give spokes extra stress with its power and weight compared to non motorwheels. Spokes rarely if ever break on non motorwheels.
The Big Bears have front BPM motors, so that problem goes away.
The new Rambla may be worth considering too.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
It's looking unlikely that I will find a folding bike that meets my requirements within my budget which is around £1500 max nearer £1000 would be better. I have double checked the train routes and a couple of the trains allow all bikes. So that being said can anyone recommend any mtb or hybrid ebike that could suit my needs of a 250W ebike removable battery and carry combined load of rider and bag of 140+kg.
Have you checked the train equipment used and boarding requirements?

Some trains now only have racks which demand the bike to be hung from its front wheel.

Not suitable for an ebike, or a loaded tourer come to that.

In any event, on and off twice a day every day would be too much faff.

You might be lucky and have trains that allow a bike to be wheeled on and parked in the carriage vestibule.

Strictly speaking Northern will not carry ebikes, although I've never been challenged.

Turn up and go sounds good, but it may be first come, first served.

If a few cyclists, say a touring party, happen to be on the platform before you, you might not get on.

None of this is your fault, but it does seem to me carriage of bicycles on the railway is not suitable for a commuter, unless you have a Brompton.

Your budget would just about run to an e-conversion Brompton, about £800 for a kit and the rest for a decent second hand one.

The battery would be in a detachable front bag.

Just about doable to sling that over your shoulder, fold the bike, and lump the lot on to the train.

That would also give you access to any service.

Bromptons fold small enough to be classed as carry on luggage.

Swytch looks a possibility, although they are currently awaiting stock.

Zilzy

Jan 26, 2020
Have you checked the train equipment used and boarding requirements?

Some trains now only have racks which demand the bike to be hung from its front wheel.

Not suitable for an ebike, or a loaded tourer come to that.

In any event, on and off twice a day every day would be too much faff.

You might be lucky and have trains that allow a bike to be wheeled on and parked in the carriage vestibule.

Strictly speaking Northern will not carry ebikes, although I've never been challenged.

Turn up and go sounds good, but it may be first come, first served.

If a few cyclists, say a touring party, happen to be on the platform before you, you might not get on.

None of this is your fault, but it does seem to me carriage of bicycles on the railway is not suitable for a commuter, unless you have a Brompton.

Your budget would just about run to an e-conversion Brompton, about £800 for a kit and the rest for a decent second hand one.

The battery would be in a detachable front bag.

Just about doable to sling that over your shoulder, fold the bike, and lump the lot on to the train.

That would also give you access to any service.

Bromptons fold small enough to be classed as carry on luggage.

Swytch looks a possibility, although they are currently awaiting stock.

The info I have is that its upto 4 full size bikes (2 per disabled carriage). A brompton is probably ok in a city but wouldn't last 5 minutes on the country back roads around here! Hence why originally looking at folding MTBs.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Bromptons are tough little buggers, they have to be to survive the mean streets of London.

Smaller wheels are generally stronger than large ones.

I no longer have my Brompton but keep on thinking about buying another one.

They are nippy and more fun to ride than a big wheel bike.

Ride quality is surprisingly good, although can be a bit harsh at the front.

Some people tour the world on them, but about 20 miles at a time was enough for me.

How far is your journey either side of the train ride?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Brompton wheels are very well built but high load/weight needs large wheels and tyres.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
My Brompton took a load close to what the OP specifies without any bother.

Although that was light use in other respects - leisure miles a couple of times a week.

No doubt lots of big wheel ebikes could do the same, but I agree about avoiding a rear hub motor.

Still plenty of choice of front hubs or crank drives.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
don't take me wrong, I like Bromptons and I am making a kit for it but I wouldn't choose the Brompton to go any distance unless I have to.
The main thing about Bromptons is that you can carry its 12kgs-13kgs with one hand.
After you add the motor and even if you carry the battery in the other hand, it becomes impossible to carry more than a very short distance.
If you want to leave an electric Brompton padlocked outside the shops, it won't stay there very long.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I had a Nano for a couple of years which is why I suggested the OP could just about lump it on and off a train regularly.

On the Tyne and Wear Metro they don't like you wheeling any bike onto the platform, which means you have to fold your Brommie outside the station and carry it to the train.

That may be changing because there was a pilot project to allow bikes on some services.

The OP won't have that problem.