Folding project number 2

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Here's another cheap folder that's going to go electric..

For this project its going to have a 328 rpm Q100 rear hub and knowing now what I've learned about cadence, may do away with the gears and just stick a single cog on it.. but am open to suggestions.

All I've done so far is to add the rack that I got from Aldi's that was for 24 / 26" but fitted quite well.

Picture 002_800x598.jpg

The weak point of the bike seems to be the handle bar tilting and height mechanism so may well replace it with a quill stem adaptor, riser and bars.. but we will see, I've got all winter to tinker:confused:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Here's another cheap folder that's going to go electric..

For this project its going to have a 328 rpm Q100 rear hub and knowing now what I've learned about cadence, may do away with the gears and just stick a single cog on it.. but am open to suggestions.

All I've done so far is to add the rack that I got from Aldi's that was for 24 / 26" but fitted quite well.

View attachment 4407

The weak point of the bike seems to be the handle bar tilting and height mechanism so may well replace it with a quill stem adaptor, riser and bars.. but we will see, I've got all winter to tinker:confused:
I've seen that bike before on eBay and considered buying one myself, it looks a bit like a Dahon Mu/Curve... a good choice I think and nice bike for the cheap price.

I'm torn between buying a Q100 and getting one of those "intelligent" mini motors from keyde which weigh 1.6kg and have the controller inside for my Mezzo..

The draw back for the mini motor is that it can't be used with Speedict, but keyde have their own LCD thing which is cheap and looks nice. Also I don't think the keyde motors can do 328RM so don't know if that would make a huge difference.

I know what you mean about the cadence and gearing... I never used or needed gears on my first folder, just kept it highly geared as a single gear bike...had to, to keep up with the motor!

Last edited:

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
getting one of those "intelligent" mini motors from keyde
Only thing about it is that its harder to quickly mess around with (some would say that's not a bad thing..lol) but as we are 'experimental'ists I want it to be as easy as possible to decide if my intelligence is any better, so am against the all in one option.

I'm currently getting advice from d8veh which hopefully will stop me listening to the voices in my head :p

D

Deleted member 4366

I've no experience of those Keyde motors, but I'd still say that you can't beat the Q100. It comes in a complete wheel ready to fit and only costs about £150 delivered with controller, throttle brake levers and PAS. They're powerful smooth and quiet. What more do you want? And don't forget that the throttle on the Keyde controllers is nuts, so you need to buy a controller somewhere else anyway, so you pay two lots of postage.

Have you measured the rear drop-outs yet because that's key to the installation?

For your other bike. you didn't say what the gearing is, bur it can probably be made a lot better by getting one of those 11T free-wheel sets from Cyclezee.