Forum Statistics

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
While casually looking at the members list I was quite surprised to find that I have the third highest number of posts, not far behind Coops but miles behind Flecc.

That led to some thoughts about how many of the members are currently active, and so I came up with the following statistics which may be interest.

The forum has 490 members

1 member (guess who) has contributed over 3750 posts

The next highest number of posts contributed is 841

4 members have contributed over 500 posts

18 members have contributed over 100 posts

293 members have not posted in the last 3 months

219 members have not posted in the last 6 months

Fairly useless information but something to do during an otherwise quite evening.
It seems much lively activity takes place during the day while I'm at work.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It seems much lively activity takes place during the day while I'm at work.
They're supposed to be working too Ian, but just not as concientious as you. :D

I also sometimes look at the stats, always interesting.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Hi Ian,

we do get most of our visitors during the day Mon-Fri, then the stats take a dip over the weekend. Funnily enough looking at google analytics graphs, you can see the peak/trough perfectly over the last 12 months and it hasn't changed a bit other than the numbers rising month on month :)

We have just broken the 700 visitors a day barrier over the last few days probably due to some popular threads prior to that it has been steady about 550-600 - these are unique visitors not visits. What is interesting is the sheer volume of lurkers, many people come back here for weeks/months on end gleaming all the information but never register and take part. I've got no idea for the reasons behind that, maybe they get what they need to make their purchase and thats all they need (until they get a problem of course!).

We've seen slow steady growth on the site, but it has not been exponential. I just don't think the market is ready to explode yet, it is still in its infancy and there is a long way to go before the sheeple are prised from their tin cans in any great numbers! That day is coming though, oil has reached another record high today and I'm in the camp that believes a peak in conventional oil production occurred in 2005, therefore we are on the plateau at the moment before we hit the decline slope.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Oil has reached another record high today and I'm in the camp that believes a peak in conventional oil production occurred in 2005, therefore we are on the plateau at the moment before we hit the decline slope.
I agree. I also believe that our cosy culture of flying food half-way around the world for our supermarkets, associated with the decline in home food production may be about to bite us in the proverbials due to the price of oil.

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I agree also that oil supplies will get increasingly difficult. The newer supplies from Kurdistan and the former USSR regions will delay the inevitable only spasmodically, given the political fluctuations, and China's ever increasing demand will rapidly mop up any additional supplies as the come through.

It will take a lot to get people out of cars and onto bikes though, some of them seem almost prepared to go without food rather than stop using the car.

Regarding King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia flying here for a few days with his essential entourage of 400 people in five jumbo jets, does anyone know if Saudi Arabia are Kyoto signatories?

Perhaps the horse drawn carriage ride down The Mall was the carbon offsetting. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Indeed! I have always said that deeds speak louder than words, which is probably taken from the Bibles, "By thine actions thou shalt be judged". So what does that say to the world about the UK's need for oil.

Any sceptics, and I know a few believe it or not, should take note.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
.....It will take a lot to get people out of cars and onto bikes though, some of them seem almost prepared to go without food rather than stop using the car..

Isn't that the truth! With unleaded in my area now past the £1/litre barrier I hear constant moaning about the price of petrol and 'bring back the blockades'.

I often suggest a simple course of action - instead of whizzing along at 80mph on the motorway, try slowing down to 56-60mph. You'll see a big increase in fuel economy and have a much more relaxing journey, all for the sake of a few minutes on an average journey time. It usually goes in one ear and out the other though!

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Looks like the Wisper 905SE sighting and 50Cycles Agattu launch generated quite a bit of interest yesterday as we broke through the 1,000 visitors/day barrier!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's great news Russ, I noticed that the numbers visiting were very high throughout day and night.

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Car Economy

Isn't that the truth! With unleaded in my area now past the £1/litre barrier I hear constant moaning about the price of petrol and 'bring back the blockades'.

I often suggest a simple course of action - instead of whizzing along at 80mph on the motorway, try slowing down to 56-60mph. You'll see a big increase in fuel economy and have a much more relaxing journey, all for the sake of a few minutes on an average journey time. It usually goes in one ear and out the other though!
It goes without saying that non-use is better than the lightest use.
I am not an expert on the polluting content of unleaded versus diesel. My Diesel Car (a 1700cc Picasso) achieves 55 - 57 mpg regularly.
Yes, travelling at 56 mph (which seems to be the trade-off point between speed and fuel economy is my preferred speed on the motor way only occasionally inhibited by the slow-lane crawler (seeking greater economy perhaps) and the centre-lane drivers.
Given that one wants to travel at only 56 mph, the greatest economy, I found, was to 'draft' a 56 mph lorry. Take care not to doze off: quite easy at that speed. Between Kendal and Severn Bridge I achieved an overall consumption of 81 mpg.