Frame Size

font69

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 29, 2008
Hi Everyone,
New to the site and the world of pedelecs. Am about to order either the Kalkhoff Pro-Connect or the Agattu for my commute to work, following weeks of research (lucky me!).

Just a couple of queries you old hands maybe able to help with?

Firstly, which model would you pick and why? (appreciate knowledge of the Pro-Connect may be a bit sketchy) and secondly what frame size should I go for?

The very helpful (and impressive guys at 50 cycles) are suggesting a 57cm (22.5"). I have never had a 'normal' bike that size in my life. I am 5' 11", but with an inside leg of only 29", my current bike, base of seatpost to centre of whatsit is only 19" with the saddle about 2" raised. Obviously that is quite a difference from a 22.5". Any thoughts?

Sorry to start with some rubbish questions, but as I cant actaully sit on one before ordering, any help would be appreciated.

:D
Regards-Font

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not rubbish questions at all Font, and welcome to the forum. I tested an Agattu with 53 cm frame and couldn't cope without removing the sprung seatpost and fitting a low standard post. Even then I could only just manage, and my inside leg is just below 29", which I call 28.5". I can't see any way that you could ride a 57 cm model, even without the sprung seatpost, unless you fitted pedal blocks. :D

If I bought an Agattu it would be a 49 cm to be able to use the sprung seatpost, though I could just about cope with a 53 cm and a rigid low profile seatpost, which the Pro Connect has anyway, so that could be a 53 cm. Both of those conditions would apply to you I feel.

As for which model, it's your usage which should decide that I think. If your riding is continuous in nature on commuting or leisure trips, the Pro Connect is a good choice. If you do stop/start and short distances such as shopping, various visits to library, friends, relatives etc, or wish to carry a child or luggage on the carrier, the convenience of the step-through that's available on the Agattu wins.

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

Hi Font 69,

I have a 53cm wave frame Kalkhoff Agattu and I am 6'1" with 32" inside leg. My suspension seat post has to be on the lowest setting for the balls of my feet to touch the ground comfortably.
Therefore I would recommend a 49cm frame which ever Kalkhoff you choose.

John

TomB

Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
may seem like a silly question font69 but how are you measuring your inside leg? from the top all the way to the floor? just that it seems a little low for someone relatively tall...:)

Citrus

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2007
may seem like a silly question font69 but how are you measuring your inside leg? from the top all the way to the floor? just that it seems a little low for someone relatively tall...:)
I was thinking the same thing. I am 5ft 8in and my inside leg is just over 29 inches. Font69 must have a very long body...:eek: I got an Agattu in the 49cm size and it is perfect. With a rigid seatpost and unsprung seat I have it raised about 4.5 inches. With the original sprung post and big bouncy seat I raised it only about 1.5 inches.

font69

Mar 29, 2008
Size

I know a blokes estimate of size is a bit dodgy, but I'm going by the trouser length, which means it is exactly 29.5" groin to ankle.

Dont tell me all these years ive been bigger than I thought!!!!!

font69

Mar 29, 2008
Citrus

Are you saying you cant raise the sprung post? It would also seem I'm possibly between the two seat heights of 49 and 53!!!:confused:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The sprung seatpost does raise in the normal way, so when in doubt, choose the shorter of two frame sizes. As you've been measuring to the ankle, your full inside leg is more like 31" or a touch below. Therefore I'd stick to a 49 cm Agattu with sprung seatpost or 53 with a rigid seatpost instead. The Pro Connect with rigid seatpost also 53 cm.

Even with a 31" inside leg, I still think 57cm with a sprung seatpost is far too high, though you might just barely manage a Pro Connect with it's solid post. No latitude for error though.

font69

Mar 29, 2008
Thanks

Thanks for all the replies, really helpfull. One final point, Agattu with sprung forks or Pro without?
17 mile commute over normal roads which are fairly standard i.e pretty rutted and pot holey!!!:D

Joe

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2008
hi font, i agree the size recommended to you would be way too large.
i think there must have been some wires crossed to suggest you need a frame of 57cm. these are big bikes on 28 " wheels a 49cm frame would be fine and at a push 53cm.

a clear difference between the models is weight, the pro connect being around 5 kg lighter.

either bike would do the job :)

robert44

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2008
BS23
Hi Font,
I am 6ft, have a 49cm step-thru' Agattu, sprung seat post set to it's lowest position. No way is any larger frame size correct.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for all the replies, really helpfull. One final point, Agattu with sprung forks or Pro without?
17 mile commute over normal roads which are fairly standard i.e pretty rutted and pot holey!!!:D
I normally come down firmly in favour of the efficiency of rigid forks, but the Agattu's Kalkhoff forks were among the best of their kind and can be adjusted to a firm setting so they only compensate on the worst shocks. Therefore you could adjust them for either result, comfort or efficiency, not an option on the Pro Connect.

So it's very much personal choice, and also dependent on how much you value the slightly lower weight of the Pro Connect. Obviously the heavier Agattu is slightly the tougher of the two for long term use, but that difference won't be great.

If you choose the Agattu, make sure you specify which, Step-Through or Crossbar.

Last edited:

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Citrus

Are you saying you cant raise the sprung post? It would also seem I'm possibly between the two seat heights of 49 and 53!!!:confused:
Hi font69

I can understand your confusion and I am female :D
I am just under 5ft 3inch with an inside leg of 32/33.
I rode a 24 inch wheel small frame Powabyke for 3 years with no problems.
However I had my heart set on the Wisper 905se and had been advised that my inside leg would be fine. However there were some concerns on this site and rightly so.
When it arrived it was a beast compared with the Powabyke! lol!
But on changing the seat post to a standard one and being able to touch the floor with almost the balls of my feet, I personally would not go back to the smaller size.
With your height, regardless of your inside leg, I may, in your position choose the larger frame and buy a standard seat post as the overall frame size may not suit your overall height? But I think that would be down to your choice and what you feel comfy with but would stick with 26inch wheels.
I actually don't know off hand what the frame size of my bike is? But I do know it is large :) Mine also has a crossbar which I can now, after some practice get on without problems
Can you not try out a bike with the seat post scenario's anywhere, or a similar frame size to make sure?
I would not order one unless you are totally sure? (Says me who bought one a little on the big size, lol) However, no regrets.
Mandy

Last edited:

StrangeFish

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2008
Bristol (BS14) UK.
I know a blokes estimate of size is a bit dodgy, but I'm going by the trouser length, which means it is exactly 29.5" groin to ankle.

Dont tell me all these years ive been bigger than I thought!!!!!
Hi font69! I am not quite sure how to put this, but if your trousers end at your ankles, has no one ever taken you to one side and had a "word" with you? You may not be old enough to know, but someone called Norman Wisdom used to wear his trousers like this all the time!!! :D ;)

Regards,

StrangeFish.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Im 5ft 11inch with a 31.5inch inside leg (groin to ground) and 50cycles advised a 53cm frame (Pro-Connect).
The thing is everyone seems to have differing advise regarding a frame size.
Theres little real advise on the internet really.

Im still worried that the bike will be too big !

Ive ridden the Torq2 !
What size frame is that then anyone?

Last edited:

Citrus

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2007
Citrus

No, That's not what I'm saying. The sprung seatpost has more height because of the spring and is therefore naturally higher than a rigid seatpost. Both can be raised or lowered in the normal way - just the sprung seatpost won't go as low because of the spring. I hope this makes sense.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Im 5ft 11inch with a 31.5cm inside leg (groin to ground) and 50cycles advised a 53cm frame (Pro-Connect).
The thing is everyone seems to have differing advise regarding a frame size.
Theres little real advise on the internet really.

Im still worried that the bike will be too big !

Ive ridden the Torq2 !
What size frame is that then anyone?
I don't know the Torq 2 frame size, but you will definitely be able to ride the 53 cm Pro Connect with it's rigid seatpost. Once I'd put a rigid seatpost on the 53 cm Agattu, I could ride it with my inside leg measurement almost three inches shorter than yours. I was able to get a toe down at standstill, so you should easily get the ball of your foot down and more with that extra leg length.

Last edited:

john

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester
As the seat height is adjustable, it seems to me that most people could fit on more than one seat tube height. However, the top tube is not adjustable and can affect how comfortable your riding position is. It is therefore worth trying out different sizes if you can.