Frame Sizes

mabsey

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 25, 2007
Does anyone know why they make the frame sizes so small on electric bikes? Is it just a weight thing.

I've looked at the Forza and the Wisper 905e and both have like 17 or 18 inc frames. These seems tiny to me for someone who is close to 6 ft tall. I looked at the screenshots on the wisper website of the director riding a 905e, and it looks like his on a BMX to be fair.

All I'm left with now is buying a conversion kit and putting it on my own bike, but really didn't want to do that :(

Mabs

Haku

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2007
Gloucestershire
It is a tad annoying about the (lack of) frame sizes, I'm 6 foot 2 so the first thing I bought on the day I got my Urban Mover UM36 was the longest seatpost I could find, still got to get a stem that raises the handlebars up to compensate so I'm not leaning forward so much.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think it's a reaction to them being too big before Mabs.

In eZee's case, the Sprint and Torq were too high for many people and sales lost, and in a current thread one of our shorter members has commented on this subject.

So I'm not surprised they've endeavoured to accommodate more sizes with the latest designs. I think the Wisper is almost too small now though, it even looks small on 5' 4" Sarah, and 6' 2" Doug almost makes it disappear. :eek:

I think we're at an awkward point in time now though. Many of the older people who buy electrics are from generations who for various reasons were smaller, today's younger people mainly being of much larger stature. So the problem should disappear with time.

Last edited:

mabsey

Jun 25, 2007
I know where your coming from, but even the updated wisper bike has a small frame still :(

I know they are trying to ensure they cater for all types of sizes in a market, but I look at Doug on that bike, and it reminds me of when parents ride there kids bike home from school and look a bit silly and it's not something I can see myself doing on a daily commute to London.

Mabs

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
One size fits all

I know where your coming from, but even the updated wisper bike has a small frame still :(

I know they are trying to ensure they cater for all types of sizes in a market, but I look at Doug on that bike, and it reminds me of when parents ride there kids bike home from school and look a bit silly and it's not something I can see myself doing on a daily commute to London.

Mabs
It's a one size fits all concept.
Giant Twist used to offer two sizes in each of step-thru (ladies) and (crossbar) gents.
I dont have much trouble retaining my dignity on a standard Sprint and I'm 6 ft 3 ins.
Even that requires some modification when you are below 5 ft 5 ins ( 2 sizes of Quando).
A 350mm seat post just does it for me though it's right up to the minimum mark.
Peter

danieldrough

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2007
Devon
I had presumed that the smaller frame sizes were as a result of the bikes being modified mtb's. One would buy a much smaller frame with a mtb in order to have sufficient crossbar clearance. Ouch.

mabsey

Jun 25, 2007
I know I could raise the seat and raise the handlebars to suit, but the 5'4 inch girl in that picture looks comfy on the bike and I dont think stretching the seat and handle bars to there upper limits is really the answer. For me the Forza and the Wisper need some work because they look suited to a 5'4 to 5'8 person Max.

Can anyone recommend a bike (Prepared to pay up to £1500) that are in the same catergory as the two bikes mentioned above, but with the larger frame size?

Mabs

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Bikes of Dutch origin are larger Mabs, and the new Sparta Ion M-gear is one of those. It's not quite in the same category for appearance, but everyone who tries it seems to fall in love with it.

The only possible problem I can see is that it's not a powerful model in the mould of the others you mention, though it's motor system is apparently a pleasure to ride with. Price very fully equipped is £1429.

Both A to B magazine and Velovision magazine testers really like it.

mabsey

Jun 25, 2007
Thanks for the Advice. I'm going to ask to See the Forza in London to see what I think about size.

I looked at the Dutch bike and the handlebars looked like they should be carrying a loaf of bread so will give that a miss.

Being picky now, but I wish the motors on the bikes would match the bike colour. A nice black looking forza with a big silver electric motor on the front dont quite look right.

The wisper is nice cause its tucked away at the back.

Decisions, decisions.

Mabsey

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Mabsey. Handlebars have traditionally always been a customer choice item so needn't be judged when viewing a bike. Dealers will swap them for you, often free of charge when you buy the bike from them. That's why there's such a huge range of choice on the market at main dealers.

I just checked one online dealer who had 50 types in stock, so you can have whatever type you prefer on the Sparta.

P.S. Even a black hub Forza motor is possible if you don't mind spending a bit!

Cue 50cycles choking over lunch! :D

Last edited:

Charlie

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2007
Hi,
I'm 6'2" and feel quite comfortable on the TORQ. The main reason I bought it was because of its larger size.

Charlie.

mabsey

Jun 25, 2007
Hi,
I'm 6'2" and feel quite comfortable on the TORQ. The main reason I bought it was because of its larger size.

Charlie.
I must admit the Torq does look nice. I wonder if they do a custom where I can have a Torq but with the motor of the Forza :p

Mabsey

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
RE Torq frame size

Sorry but I have to disagree. I have just been on a friends and the frame is much too small for me. Whether they have changed the frame size or something to accomodate shorter folk I dont know, but I'm 5' 11" and normally ride a Twist (which even feels a wee bit small) but the Torq I rode felt cramped even though I could only just touch the floor, I almost sat on the back wheel instead of the seat :eek:.

I think this really is an issue with just about every bike going towards the 17" frame size. I want to ride a bike that is efficient first and foremost, but also isnt going to give me back problems!!! :mad:

John

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
I'm quite surprised about the Torq John, though you're not the first to say its too small: was it set up for you properly, saddle height & forward/rear adjusted? I'm 5'11.5" :rolleyes: and have not found it at all small? :)

P.S. I meant to ask how you got on :D.

Stuart.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
John, that's not quite so much the frame size, which I can only just cope with at 5' 6", as the fact of the battery placement, a common e-bike problem. Sticking it in that position encourages the designer to place the seat post and bottom bracket more forward to keep the bike near to normal length, so the saddle ends up too close to the bars. (Just look how close the front wheel is to the down tube, due to the forward bottom bracket.) Hence many e-bikes using forward extensions on the bars to try and offset that, not with much success though. Even with my short reach I have to sit well back on the Torq with it's saddle pushed rearwards. Some use rearward extension seatposts on it.

Last edited:

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Hi Coops

:D Yes I enjoyed it. The power was very nice and very smooth. I havent yet tried it on the hills near me, but a 'swap over' may be in the offing in the near future.

There were a couple of things I found odd. The clicky gear changers were an issue for me, I found them vague. All I have ever known is the traditional variable tension racer lever, and now hubs, so probably me at fault there.

The frame size just seemed as it they had gotten a trad MTB and moved the seat post thingy a battery width forward, although Im sure that MUCH more thought went into it than that. But I did feel like I was almost stood up! I would imagine that the adjustments can make some difference, but I dont know if the angle I sit at will come near my 21" mountain bike that I did find so comfy and easy to apply power.

I suppose it is something that you could get used too easily enough, but what about efficiency Coops !!!

I also thought the pedelec mode of the Torq relatively weak compared to the Twist, especially at the lower speeds. But as we all know, once your upto about 14mph its a 1 horse race, and its only the Torq.

For me though its just another spanner in the works of achieving the goal of the 'efficient' e-bike I want. I cant buy a 17" frame, full stop. Its just too not a sacrifice I am prepared too make. I want an efficient e-bike, and that means one that fits me. :(

John

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Flecc - sorry just saw your post. Isnt that a flaw in the bike design?? It sounds like it to me. Surely if we are going to have a bike thats ridable, truely ridable, then we need to have a choice of frame size BASED ON NORMAL BIKE SIZES dont we??:confused:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I agree John, but first the designers just have to make them with longer wheelbase for them to be normally proportioned. Realistically though, two or three frame size options isn't very practical with expensive e-bikes and small sales. Stocking two sizes would be just to expensive and impractical, dealers would frequently be left with unsold items, something the Giant dealers found with our twists.

The very much larger sales and lower prices of unpowered bikes makes it easy with them, so I can understand marketing departments wanting one size fits all compromises.

Best way to get a choice is to shop around. The Torq is not bad for most taller riders, but not for under 5' 6", the Sparta very good for the taller rider, but the Wisper is the opposite, best for the shorter rider, so it's possible to get close in that way.