Frog Battery- 36v..anyone??

PatM

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2009
Maidstone Kent
After my debacle with the exploding LIFEPO4 battery, I’ve come a cropper again- I ordered one from China, I fancied the convenience of being to unplug it- as my son has the same arrangement and the one I ordered had BMS fitted. Anyway, its arrived defective- I’ll have the usual nonsense of fighting with the guy who sold it to me as its literally 'rattling' inside and I’d be prosecuted if I attempted to post it with our Laws over here 9anyone else had that grief and won their case?

Anyway- can anyone sell me a 36v 9a Frog battery that works?

For the avoidance of any other Forum member falling foul of the same seller- and trust me, the packaging was non-existent- and I had to pay the Import duty, to boot.

36V10Ah ebike ebicycle scooter Frog Lithium Battery and Charger | eBay

D

Deleted member 4366

For the cost of return postage (about £6 each way), I'll fix it for you.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
If you paid by paypal then that might be an option for getting money back

Personally I'd jump at d8vehs kind offer !!

PatM

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2009
Maidstone Kent
Frank, Ive covered that- its his charger that was supplied with the battery! some of the cells are dead- no voltage whatsoever..At least its fitted with a BMS, albeit with tape and bubble wrap as an insulator- oh, and a lump of 0.5mm cardboard...

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Now now, don't start shouting Frank :eek::eek:

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi I shouted becouse it is VERY important you have the right charger to avoid a FIRE for £27 i think this is important Kudos have sold many thousand bikes with no problem with batterys catching fire

Frank

Last edited:

PatM

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2009
Maidstone Kent
Maidstone-20131129-00563.jpg

After a week of checking and re-wiring- I have repaired the damaged frog battery that arrived broken from China. It is ridiculous that goods can be traded like this- there were breaks in tabs between cells and shorts on BMS wiring- the whole thing looked a complete mess. Given Id suffered a fire in September due to a battery- you can imagine my reluctance to 'fix' even though Im a lift engineer and used to working on things. What was so damming was the piece of a paper magazine that was used as an insulator between the two banks of cells- the maker even left the staples in the magazine- quite shocking to have a metal staple bouncing around the battery compartment! Ive inserted plastic card and glued it- the BMS was taped together- with bubble-wrap- which is ok, except that there was little or no insulation to stop it moving about and shorting out on the exposed cells.

Last edited:

PatM

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2009
Maidstone Kent
The good news on this is that I was awarded a FULL REFUND and kept the battery and post. I furnished Ebay with the evidence that it is a breach of Regulation to ship a battery unprotected and a further Breach if on receipt, you try and return it! Its all laid out very clearly in the IAM Document, which Im sure made unpleasant reading in China when pointed out to the seller...

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
The good news on this is that I was awarded a FULL REFUND and kept the battery and post. I furnished Ebay with the evidence that it is a breach of Regulation to ship a battery unprotected and a further Breach if on receipt, you try and return it! Its all laid out very clearly in the IAM Document, which Im sure made unpleasant reading in China when pointed out to the seller...
Don't many retailers on Alibaba and the like offer full refund without return of damaged item (once satisfied damage/fault is genuine) for that reason?

D

Deleted member 4366

That's a really poorly made battery. I've opened several frog batteries, which were all assembled much more neatly than that. I thought that that sort of thing was in the past now.