Front hub motor with suspension forks.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Is it a good idea ?

Would a set of typical mountain bike front suspension forks cope well with the torque from the motor, particullarly if the rider is on the 'heavy' side.

Are there front suspension forks specifically designed for eBikes ?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thete are a lot of different types of forks. Some strong and some weak. You have to tell us or show us which ones you have.

If you have a choice, always fit a rear motor
It's safer and gives a more pleasant ride.

If you have decent front suspension, you can ruin it by putting a heavy motor in the wheel because of the big change in the ration of sprung to in spring mass.

If you have crappy suspension forks, the torque from the motor can lock them

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Thete are a lot of different types of forks. Some strong and some weak. You have to tell us or show us which ones you have.
Take the example of the bike mentioned earlier (for the rear conversion) and of course you would need to know ...........

Marzocchhi Bomber 2002.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Suspension front forks in the main aren't very suitable for hub motors, the drop outs mostly aren't strong enough being Aluminium and eventually fracture. Fitting torque arms is required but needs a good anchoring not just a jubilee clip around the fork.
Steel plain forks are better stronger other wise opt for a mid motor or better still a rear hub motor.

Front motor adds another 3- 4kg to the steering load already added to by 2kg+ forks, steering feels different and can be affected by torque, feel and handling is heavier and feel vague.

Front motor is ideally better suited to nice lighter stronger steel forks and lightweight motor < 2kg.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
I think I am one of the few front hub advocates, I like mine. Admittedly it is most likely a low weight motor however I did start with a front conversion and got use to the riding style.

I have a basic torque arm installed, jubilee clip ;) , my experience of a cracked rim and god awfully gear changes soon put me off rear hub conversions, albeit a short lived experience.

I run 48v on a rated 36v motor for better RPM which is 220@36v and use a 48v 14a-16a controller, LCD amp restricted. KT

It does about 30 miles(10.4ah battery) with human power and is more than adequate over hilly terrain.

I am doing research for a future build, my current build uses v-brakes and my future build will have disks so far I discovered a large disk rota should provide better clearance for the installation.

As I have said before in other posts, I think its a matter of personal preference however a black motor is a must for me.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I used to go to a motorbike rally every year in Germany. I met a guy there who was a Moto Guzzi afficionado. He'd had them all his life and could give every reason why they were the best bike in the world. He was so convincing that I was thinking of trading in my Honda VFR750 that I had at that time.

The last time I was at that rally, I saw a Suzuki parked outside his tent so I asked him what's going on. He admitted that he had never tried any bikes other than Guzzis in the last 10 years until his friend gave him a go on his Suzuki. Like all good germans, he didn't mince his words. He said that he now realises that he'd been a complete idiot for the last 10 years and that Guzzis are absolut Sheisse. I seem to remember him comparing them to a farm tractor and a Mercedes.

I used to love my front-wheel motors too. Like a Moto Guzzi, they work and can give you many happy hours of travelling, and in some outlying circumstances, they even give an advantage.

dwvl

Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2018
Essex, UK
I used to love my front-wheel motors too. Like a Moto Guzzi, they work and can give you many happy hours of travelling, and in some outlying circumstances, they even give an advantage.
Me, I love my Nexus 8 internal gear hub. I'm happy with my front hub motor for that reason. :)

Reactions: PC2017 and Woosh