Front or rear wheel conversion for hilly region

fudoka

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 20, 2018
I'm looking into converting a Tern Joe into an eBike for use in a hilly area of Crete (and some if the hills are seriously steep) and I'm wondering whether to go for a front or rear wheel conversion kit.
Presently I prefer a rear wheel motor with frame mounted battery on the assumption I'll get better traction and a better feel but any comments/thoughts would be appreciated.

dwvl

Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2018
Essex, UK
... an eBike for use in a hilly area of Crete (and some if the hills are seriously steep)...
Neither - I would have thought a mid-drive conversion would be better. That way, the motor can benefit from you selecting a lower gear for the steep hills.

Hub motors drive the wheel directly, so are unaffected by whatever gear you are in.

fudoka

Nov 20, 2018
I'd love to go for hub but, by the looks of it, it wouldn't work with the folding. If Bimoz ever gets off the ground, that might be Ok though.

fudoka

Nov 20, 2018
typo/senior moment - I meant "I'd love to go for mid-drive"

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
With a front hub you will suffer from times when the wheel 'scrubs' on steep loose or slimey surfaces. If you're on tarmac this is minimal and easily handled by an accomplished cyclist, but can catch out the unwary.
Rear hub will get you more traction at the cost of making the bike tail heavy. Again not a problem on roads but will affect handling on of road sections. The other thing to watch out for is that, being a folder, it is short wheel base, with all the weight at the back there will be a tendancy to lift the front wheel under sudden full power aplication or hill starts. Yes you can do wheelies!o_O:).
Either way remember to allow for the fold when routing cabling.

I've just returned from the Peak District riding the old railway trails (on the bike in my avatar) which are mostly millstone grit surface. Must say I quite enjoyed the front wheel spin acceleration and hill climbing and the active balance challenges that bought - sort of two wheel drive. However this is in a 700c wheel bike, not sure I'd like it so much on a small wheel bike.