Frustrating 15.5 limit

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
so your now agreeing that ebike maybe illegal
It may or may not be perfectly legal too. To that end, I'm not assuming anything until the evidence is fully known. What is clear, to anyone viewing that video, is that the unfortunate lady made a grave error of judgement.

15.5 mph on an ebike or even much faster is perfectly legal, if done under your own effort. Either way they're a heavy weight, even without a rider onboard. Deadly enough at any speed.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh and flecc

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Why do people think it's ok to break the law? What if on your new deristricted bike, you cause a major accident, who will it effect then? You, your family, the victims family and what about legal ebike owners, what are the ramifications on them with rule/law changes...............selfish the lot of you
You're in the 'Speed pedelecs (S-Pedelecs, Non-EAPCs)' section of the forum - go and preach elsewhere.

There are people who post in this part of the forum that openly brag about derestricted bikes and think it's ok to do so.
I think your use of the word bragging is a bit strong, but that is why this part of the forum exists so us naughties can discuss our hobby in peace without people like you getting on your high horse all the time - now shoo!

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I think your use of the word bragging is a bit strong, but that is why this part of the forum exists so us naughties can discuss our hobby in peace without people like you getting on your high horse all the time - now shoo!
some do keep bragging in other areas of the forum to the point that derestrictability becomes a more talked about feature than motor position or rigid fork etc, it has indeed become the most talked about subject by new posters.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
some do keep bragging in other areas of the forum to the point that derestrictability becomes a more talked about feature than motor position or rigid fork etc, it has indeed become the most talked about subject by new posters.
Indeed, and that is what is concerning me. A succession of new posters are almost immediately asking about derestriction or dongles and it's clear that this has become widespread knowledge.

Illegallity on this scale isn't sustainable, it could end in tears. The particular danger now that we are leaving the much more law abiding EU is that we could lose the protection of their pedelec law since it will no longer have the same force. Our government could just go tough on us with unwelcome UK registration, Northern Ireland in the UK already has that.

Alistair Paul

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 9, 2018
I read this thread with interest, I am with the OP in which I have an ebike which is tuned to go faster. My bike is a tool to commute to work and that's all, the reason I have it is to make my journey quicker and easier. It's 18 miles each way and on a road bike I can do that in about 60 mins or so, but that is max effort and more than twice a week I'm tired for the weekend. Now, on the pedelec it's about 50mins for 75% so 4 times a week is manageable. To drive means going on a major trunk road that has roadworks until Dec 20. It only takes a breakdown or minor bump to mean chaos. I have a guided busway service road to use, it's wide, smooth and nearly deserted and 12 miles long. The rest is on the city road cycle lanes and a little bit of footpath. I like to think I'm being sensible about this, I can't flash past at 25mph on the footpath with kids on bikes and people walking their dogs, so I slow down accordingly.

I thought about whether I'm more dangerous on my tuned ebike, on the road bike I can cycle as fast if I push, or if the wind is behind, but on skinny slick tyres in the wet and less vision because I'm lower, compared to being upright, hydraulic disc brakes and grippy tyres? Ebikes are heavier, but what about the rider who could be 100 kg, that's a lot of kinetic energy even at 15mph.

At one time most bikes were sit up and beg 3 speeds that pootled around at 8-10mph. Nowadays there are a lot more commuters using road or fast hybrids to get to around, YouTube is full of their antics. And of course we are almost silent when approaching pedestrians who are busy looking at their phones, or have earphones in when stepping off the pavement. So there is a law, but I wonder if it fits what's happening today. Maybe there needs to be more public education. My car has city braking, my bikes don't , but at least on my tuned ebike I can see vulnerable people early.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I like to think I'm being sensible about this, I can't flash past at 25mph on the footpath with kids on bikes and people walking their dogs, so I slow down accordingly.
dont forget them slow ass 15mph ebikes :p

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
"Also it has to be mentioned that removing the speed limit makes the bike illegal so you would be riding a bike uninsured and unlicensed"

I think you mean "riding a moped uninsured and unlicensed" (as that's what a derestricted ebike becomes)?

It could also invalidate any insurance you hold including public liability (although of course the insurer would need to find out about it).

For me 25kph is fine as I'm an off road cyclist who only averages 20 kph anyway and really wants the 'e' bit of the bike for hills and to save legs a bit on long days out. I certainly won't be derestricting and I imagine it's probably a minority of e-bike users who do.

I can see that if you commute a long way on roads you may well want to desrestrict - the main risk it that what is quite a heavy bike will be going faster than it otherwsie would (on average) and so will do more damage (on average) if it hits someone - in which case you can get sued (without insurance) and criminal charges lodged (as the police are getting savvy enough to check for dongles etc. in order to the book thrown at you nowadays).

Reactions: Fat Rat and flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
"Also it has to be mentioned that removing the speed limit makes the bike illegal so you would be riding a bike uninsured and unlicensed"

I think you mean "riding a moped uninsured and unlicensed" (as that's what a derestricted ebike becomes)?

It could also invalidate any insurance you hold including public liability (although of course the insurer would need to find out about it).

For me 25kph is fine as I'm an off road cyclist who only averages 20 kph anyway and really wants the 'e' bit of the bike for hills and to save legs a bit on long days out. I certainly won't be derestricting and I imagine it's probably a minority of e-bike users who do.

I can see that if you commute a long way on roads you may well want to desrestrict - the main risk it that what is quite a heavy bike will be going faster than it otherwsie would (on average) and so will do more damage (on average) if it hits someone - in which case you can get sued (without insurance) and criminal charges lodged (as the police are getting savvy enough to check for dongles etc. in order to the book thrown at you nowadays).
they got to catch me first and yes i have tried there not interested round here and i have had a dongle for 4 years now.

my bike is just under 21kg atm so lighter than most and range is about 25-30 miles on the flat depending on what mode ur in but i can drop it to eco if getting low and extend it.

my 4 year old batt has lost range but its still good for about 20ish miles even hammering the crap out of it so they will last if taken care of.

Reactions: LeighPing

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
"they got to catch me first"

Well I doubt anyone is going to care unless you hit someone. That's the risk we're discussing here really.

Problem with riding off then is that it's a hit and run and you might have left an injured pedestrian on the floor. You of course might not be able to ride off if you have come of the bike as well.

If you ride off and they do identify you (which if it's your regular commuter route may not be that hard) then the book really will get thrown. If you have a car it might mean a driving ban. Serious injuries could mean prison time.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
not had any problems with the ppl i have ran over so far if u wanna be a dick and not move ur ass out the way then i will run u over ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the cyclist in that video needs to do the cycling proficiency test
that is me pmsl im not dead yet mofo now wheres me splif ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
This is the sort of thread I use to click the ignore button when it was there. now that I've read it all I see is a perfect argument for keeping the 25kph limit

What with the Brexit thread and all those I brought a pedelec but wanted a motorbike threads, each to there own but I really miss the ignore thread button

Reactions: Fat Rat and flecc

Advertisers