Full page pedelec ads in mainstream bike mags

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I was quite surprised to find this in the LCC magazine, they must be expecting to convert a few existing cyclists as nobody else would be reading the book of slightly extreme political rants if they weren't cyclists.
I also saw the alarming news that the London cycle hire scheme goes live on the 30th July, I might get the train in for a few days until the early adopters are all recovering (in bed and A&E). :p

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I also saw the alarming news that the London cycle hire scheme goes live on the 30th July, I might get the train in for a few days until the early adopters are all recovering (in bed and A&E). :p
Yes, 6000 bikes, it will probably be chaos, but only if the weather is ok!

Never mind, I can't see it being any different from Paris where half the bikes got pinched and half the remainder are usually out of action through breakdowns and vandalism. It wasn't very clear on TV, but it looks like they have derailleurs like the Paris ones, if so a daft choice on hire bikes since they are so prone to damage and maladjustment.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Yes, 6000 bikes, it will probably be chaos, but only if the weather is ok!

Never mind, I can't see it being any different from Paris where half the bikes got pinched and half the remainder are usually out of action through breakdowns and vandalism. It wasn't very clear on TV, but it looks like they have derailleurs like the Paris ones, if so a daft choice on hire bikes since they are so prone to damage and maladjustment.
They will have 3 speed hub gears in London according to the article and weigh 23Kg, do wonder they are only getting used on the flattish central part.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They will have 3 speed hub gears in London according to the article and weigh 23Kg, do wonder they are only getting used on the flattish central part.
I did think it was possibly the Nexus 3 hub with a chain tensioner, but the video wasn't clear enough to be certain. Even there the average unfit person won't like the climb up Regent Street SW1 to Piccadilly Circus for example.

They do intend these only to be used in the central areas where the 400 docking points are, but thinking of adding secondary local schemes like here in Croydon for example. I've got serious doubts though, it's all very well in a compact tightly confined city like Paris, but London's sprawling near 500 square miles will be difficult to control.