Full suspension touring bike with panniers and mud guards

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
that lovely Scott costs about £4,500, the OP saves only £2,500 on train fare.
To make it worth the effort, the bike should really cost under £1,250.
Commuting by ebike is far preferable to using the Train, far more reliable and far quicker so the cost isn’t the only consideration.
So long as the bike lasts long enough to recoup the cost I’d be happy :)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Does look rather impressive doesn't it (ignoring the idiotic comparisons to Porche). However, I couldn't find out the weight of it and the rack carrying capacity is only 15Kg, which isn't much for such a chunky bike.
Because it is on the suspended part, imagine 15 kg of luggage bouncing up and down back there...

• Informative
Reactions: git-r and grazie

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Does look rather impressive doesn't it (ignoring the idiotic comparisons to Porche). However, I couldn't find out the weight of it and the rack carrying capacity is only 15Kg, which isn't much for such a chunky bike.
Yes I noticed that about the 15kg luggage limit. This would rule this bike out for me. The Reise Muller is 25kg I think. Also, given this is a first effort from Scott for a full suspension touring bike I’d be more inclined to bet on the Reise Muller being the more reliable of the two.

• Informative
Reactions: grazie

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
If you have the money and want one I would be inclined to get the R&M Delite, looks just the ticket and one would hope it is screwed together well.

Reactions: git-r

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
R&M do full suspension the correct way - the rack is on the frame and so it is suspended. My personal favorite is the New Charger Mixte GT touring hardtail with suspension seat post and Super Moto-X fat tyres - less weight than a FS, less complicated, same shock absorbing capacity IMHO, oh and it is a step through frame :D

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Yes I noticed that about the 15kg luggage limit. This would rule this bike out for me. The Reise Muller is 25kg I think. Also, given this is a first effort from Scott for a full suspension touring bike I’d be more inclined to bet on the Reise Muller being the more reliable of the two.
All the other brands have similar rack to scott with limited weights. Delite and Homage are only bikes with full suspended racks plus capable of 25kg.

For commuting 10-15kg should be plenty.

• Informative

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Looks like Delite is only bike that ticks all boxes for you. The next decision is spec level and drive chain choice.

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
If you have the money and want one I would be inclined to get the R&M Delite, looks just the ticket and one would hope it is screwed together well.
Yeah I'm kind of going that way. Although for me it looks too unlike a normal bike so may get unwanted attention. I'd only afford one doing it through the C2W2 so will need to check that's ok.

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
R&M do full suspension the correct way - the rack is on the frame and so it is suspended. My personal favorite is the New Charger Mixte GT touring hardtail with suspension seat post and Super Moto-X fat tyres - less weight than a FS, less complicated, same shock absorbing capacity IMHO, oh and it is a step through frame :D
My whole route is like one never ending road of speed bumps and gigantic holes :(
For years I've thought about how much nicer it'd be to have a full suspension bike. Maybe it won't make that much difference but will try one to see.

As you're saying it's kinder on the bike and luggage too.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Yeah I'm kind of going that way. Although for me it looks too unlike a normal bike so may get unwanted attention. I'd only afford one doing it through the C2W2 so will need to check that's ok.
no one will want to rob that only as a last resort go try pick it up lol.

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
All the other brands have similar rack to scott with limited weights. Delite and Homage are only bikes with full suspended racks plus capable of 25kg.

For commuting 10-15kg should be plenty.
I've experienced a few failures with panniers, they do break when you overload them lol so yes, the 25kg is a must :)

Thanks for the info, really useful.

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Looks like Delite is only bike that ticks all boxes for you. The next decision is spec level and drive chain choice.
It does tick all the boxes other than looking a bit too nice. It's the idea of leaving it locked up outside, also the reaction it'll get from civilian cyclists :D

TBH I've no idea about spec other than wanting the most road biased one possible, noticed some have lower mudguards and road tyres.

Reading about the different drive systems confuses me. I want the most reliable and maintenance free but don't have much confidence in LBS's ability to fix complicated problems.

Thanks for the help :)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the rm bike is 30kg you stick another 25kg on the back then thats one heavy mofo.

it was there a hour ago officer ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • :D
Reactions: Woosh

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
It does tick all the boxes other than looking a bit too nice. It's the idea of leaving it locked up outside, also the reaction it'll get from civilian cyclists :D

TBH I've no idea about spec other than wanting the most road biased one possible, noticed some have lower mudguards and road tyres.

Reading about the different drive systems confuses me. I want the most reliable and maintenance free but don't have much confidence in LBS's ability to fix complicated problems.

Thanks for the help :)
Nuvinci or Rohloff with belt drive for low maintenance.
If you willing to put up with higher maintenance of derailleur but want lower running costs. Replace 11spd XT with XT 9spd, for commuting 11-36 cassette should be more than enough. 9spd cassettes and chains are lot cheaper than 11spd and last longer.

• Informative

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
simplicity can be the answer.

1. gearless system: nothing simpler. Reliable, easy and cheap to fix. Trains use the same kind of motors. Perfect for 25mph+. Downside: Weigh a ton.
2. geared hub: a little more complicated by the addition of a £20 reduction gearbox to save weight. A 5:1 reduction gearbox reduces the weight to half. Also, as the rotor spins 5 times as fast, the bearings need replacing every 5000 miles. Perfect speed for commuting (15mph-25mph). Downside: you can hear the gearbox little noise and the £20 gearbox is not repairable.
3. crank drives: posh, quieter gearbox but most expensive. Downside: you need to be in the right gear all the time, a real pain sometimes.