Full suspension touring bike with panniers and mud guards

Hi all,

I’m looking for a 250w full suspension ebike with panniers and mudguards that are fitted from the factory.

The only options I’ve seen are:

Reise and Muller Delite
Flyer uproc3 4.15

Both are very expensive.

My current ebike cost around £1600 but after 4.5k miles there’s not much that hasn’t failed and currently has an issue with the Bosch CX motor cutting out.

My annual saving from not using the train is about £2.5k. I think I can use the cycle to work 2 scheme so would get a massive saving if buying something like the two above.

Are there any other full suspension bikes that come with panniers and mud guards fitted from the factory?

Has anyone covered serious mileage on these bikes?

Would I most likely end up with the same problems as I’m having with my current bike after similar mileage?

It’s getting ridiculously expensive and unreliable running my current bike so really just want the most reliable machine I can get.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Sam
For 2019 KTM are offering a LFC upgrade to all our bikes... details here:

http://www.flidistribution.co.uk/blog/ktm-terminology---lfc

So you can add KTM to the list, but yes I'm afraid they aren't cheap

Reactions: EddiePJ and git-r

grazie

Pedelecer
May 21, 2016
nr Canterbury, UK
Reactions: theloafer

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Nuvinci or Rohloff with belt drive for low maintenance.
If you willing to put up with higher maintenance of derailleur but want lower running costs. Replace 11spd XT with XT 9spd, for commuting 11-36 cassette should be more than enough. 9spd cassettes and chains are lot cheaper than 11spd and last longer.
Thank you :)

Tbh I think any of the bits fitted to the RS delite would be ok. The derailleur xt setup is another league compared to what I’m used to so am sure would last better. I don’t think RS provide the Rohlof on the touring bikes so that rules that out, the Nuvinci with belt drive really appeals, I spoke to a shop today and they said it’s not a problem to change gearing to give more speed.

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
simplicity can be the answer.

1. gearless system: nothing simpler. Reliable, easy and cheap to fix. Trains use the same kind of motors. Perfect for 25mph+. Downside: Weigh a ton.
2. geared hub: a little more complicated by the addition of a £20 reduction gearbox to save weight. A 5:1 reduction gearbox reduces the weight to half. Also, as the rotor spins 5 times as fast, the bearings need replacing every 5000 miles. Perfect speed for commuting (15mph-25mph). Downside: you can hear the gearbox little noise and the £20 gearbox is not repairable.
3. crank drives: posh, quieter gearbox but most expensive. Downside: you need to be in the right gear all the time, a real pain sometimes.
Thank you for explaining this. I’m used to the Bosch CX system so had thought about going for that again due to it being familiar.
Which is the most popular system you sell?
Do you do any full suspension bikes with mud guards and panniers?

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Thanks but I can’t see anything with pannier/mud guards and full suspension. Do you have anything like this?
Its optional extra, pick FS eMTB you like and ask for LFC kit to be fitted by shop.

Worth asking about lighting options as it be nice to have choice of headlights.

• Informative
Reactions: git-r

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Which is the most popular system you sell?
for commuting? Karoo for cyclists who just need a bit of help with hills and headwinds (mudguards, rack (25kgs) and lights fitted for £25), Rio MTB (lights and mudguards fitted, rack (25kgs) for £25) for the young and a bit lazy, Big Bear (rack, mudguards and rack (25kgs) already fitted) for the traditionally built (17st and over).
All those bikes are fitted with geared hub motors, the Karoo has the lightest, the Big Bear the heaviest and also torquiest. They can go for 4,000 - 5,000 miles without needing much maintenance other than a set of tyres, some new brake pads and a bottle of Dry Muc Off lube.

• Informative

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
for commuting? Karoo for cyclists who just need a bit of help with hills and headwinds (mudguards, rack (25kgs) and lights fitted for £25), Rio MTB (lights and mudguards fitted, rack (25kgs) for £25) for the young and a bit lazy, Big Bear (rack, mudguards and rack (25kgs) already fitted) for the traditionally built (17st and over).
All those bikes are fitted with geared hub motors, the Karoo has the lightest, the Big Bear the heaviest and also torquiest. They can go for 4,000 - 5,000 miles without needing much maintenance other than a set of tyres, some new brake pads and a bottle of Dry Muc Off lube.
Ah thanks for this but you don’t have any full suspension bikes do you? I remember looking at these when I bought my last ebike.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Last edited:
Thanks but I can’t see anything with pannier/mud guards and full suspension. Do you have anything like this?
Like this one?

http://www.flidistribution.co.uk/2019-ktm-macina-chacana-lfc

Which is specced out of the factory like this. However we've set up packages for our dealers to order so they can upgrade any of the 2019 KTM full suspension eBikes to this set up very easily. Lots of light options are available.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Thule is only rated for 11kg.
where did Thule say that? I had that rack on one of my bikes a few years back, stood on it while my friend rode the bike. (just for testing purpose).

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The official Thule site pack n pedal is rated 11kg, this is probably just the top base max weight rating. Third party sites say 25kg kg if you use panniers and the top base.

The rack with side bars combo is strong and stand s up to a bit of abuse and so far has survived my off road rides on fs mtb laden with side panniers.

Last edited: