Further progress on removal of power limits

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Information on the latest position on the following link:

New E-bike legislation

Bear in mind though that the DfT has reacted unfavourably to these moves, clearly as ever completely misunderstanding the position and reaching false conclusions.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Oh dear, if only they had some informed experience into the issues that some people undergo with the lack of power.

It would be great to get a halfway house between the european laws and USA typical laws.

Oh well onwards and upwards.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
A mixed bag

OK the law gets passed and I buy a 350 watt Bosch, capable of 45kph but still restricted to 25 kph. Err......what's the point!lol Standard bike goes and climbs well anyway, so ultimately I would be very frustrated, especially if I cant "adjust" it a likle bit:p

I don't want heavier bikes in my life, quiet the opposite, bigger motors and battery's etc you are welcome to them. Most derestrict their bikes (including me) I just see problems ahead with this legislation, but hope it successful for those that need the higher power, disabled & commuters would probably appreciate them...

a bit more speed on the grounds of safety would be a good thing in an urban environment, but pigs will fly first I guess. Down here in Spain it just feels so much safer cycling, all vehicles give you a wide berth, its a different world........No near misses, not one in over 3 weeks, In london I would have had at least 6 along with all the bad manners and rudeness:mad:

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The raised limit and throttle control comes with a 25 kg limit Eddie, so no fears on heavy bikes.

As stated in that article, the purpose of more power is first, to expand e-biking into the mobility area, second, to give more power for climbing really steep hills and third, to help the large or overweight who need more climb power. My 5' 6" and 68 kilos is just about ok with 250 watts rating for the steeper hills, but the 6'7" 120 kilo rider needs a higher rating. The elderly in very hilly areas often need more power too.

Add that lot together and e-biking could become more common.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
You could just run the smaller motors at a higher wattage, effectivly helping the the hill climbing for those who need it. Its only at peak draw such as climbing where its needed.

Its been proven by many users that the wattage ratings of motors tend to be very safe compared to what you can realistically chuck at them in every day use.

The point really is that just for peak draw / Climbing it would be much more useful.

Most of the bikes that doen't use a hub and are crank powered makes the best use out of the limited power currently. However running the hubs at higher amp draws really brings them alive.

You also dont need huge power to go quick. 1000w will see you go 30mph. But the point is that its restricted to that 15.5mph.

C

Cyclezee

Most derestrict their bikes (including me) I just see problems ahead with this legislation, but
Eddie, you forgot to add that you only ride de-restricted on private land.

We wouldn't want to give the law makers and keepers the impression that people are deliberately flouting the law, would we.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I am convinced that for cycling to become more popular, electrification is the answer.
I live in a very hilly place and the only cyclists are either lycras or youngsters on BMX's.
Swansea University is on the flat by the beach, so quite a few students have commuter bikes, but Swansea Metropolitan University is on the top of Townhill and bikes are not at all popular there!
Back in the days of clip on ICE motors, there were quite a lot about Swansea, so having the means to tackle the hills is important for cycling to progress in this District.
What we need now is something akin to the old Cyclemaster etc. A ready made kit, available locally at a low price either fit it yourself or get the bike shop to do it.
Unfortunately, most bike shops just don't seem to want to know electric bikes.
I was even told 'Don't bring it here,we don't understand them.'
On the other side of the coin, the mechanics at my garage have picked up how to deal with modern car electronics, bought the computers etc. and quite happily set about repairs. Why cannot LBS do the same?
There was that thread about diagnostics, but bikes are so simple that a manual combined with perhaps a row of terminals in the controller to test the system would go a long way to enabling bike mechanics to effect repairs.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Eddie, you forgot to add that you only ride de-restricted on private land.

We wouldn't want to give the law makers and keepers the impression that people are deliberately flouting the law, would we.

Did I say that!?!?:confused::p Honestly officer it was the jug of Sangria with me lunch!:rolleyes: