Gav from Shrewsbury needs help with new controller

Gavb

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 16, 2014
By the way, it was mentioned somewhere that there will be 3 out of 36 possible combinations that will result in forward movement. I have 6 working combinations all spinning forwards. Other combinations span forward too but made interesting noises. 6 were all ok but some made the wheel spin much faster than others. Is that normal? Do I need to test the current of all 6?

Gavb

Sep 16, 2014
Great news! Made the shunt connected up my multimeter and got some readings. 3 were initially much higher (5.0+ mv) then setttled down. These were the false positives that you mentioned I think

The other 3 readings were all very similar. Full throttle initially and all went up to 1.8mv initially and all settled to flicking between 0.13/14mv. So how do I choose which one of the 3 if they are all measuring about the same?

Reactions: Alan Quay
D

Deleted member 4366

You can choose any of them then, since they work OK. There should always be three good combinations.

Gavb

Sep 16, 2014
I just made a new shunt out of longer and slightly thinner wire and I have got slightly different readings between the 3 good combinations now. Readings were between 0.72 and 0.80mv for one combo and the other 2 were flicking up and down from 0.75 to 0.90. I have gone with lowest option. Thank you so much for all of your help. I have my bike back up and running! :)

My only concern now is that I have done something to my hub motor as when it comes to a halt it has started squeaking for the last few slow rotations. When i push my bike forward the motor is also slightly squeaking.

Gavb

Sep 16, 2014
No it is not the brake. disconnected the brake cable so no contact with rims. Def. coming from hub motor

D

Deleted member 4366

There's nothing that you could have done to spoil your motor. There's probably a washer touching somewhere. Nothing to worry about. It'll soon go away.

Gavb

Sep 16, 2014
I would just like to say thanks to all who offered their advice. My bike is back up and running and I have happily commuted to work and back with no problems. I have learnt a lot in only a few days. Many thanks again.