Gazelle Easyglider

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
For anyone interested, bear in mind the 2007 model has a smaller 8 Ah battery, and I'm told that the 10 Ah is incompatible. This is a bargain, as long as you are aware of that and it's no problem.

These Gazelles don't have the high power mode, mainly only important in the steeper hill areas.

Steveb63

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 2, 2008
Baildon (BD17)
Going for a test ride!

Just a bit of an update - I paid a visit to the York shop 3 Sundays ago and the 2007 bike had already been sold - along with the first of their 2008 bikes - however they have obtained another 2008 bike which I'm going to have a look at and have a test ride tomorrow - If I'm happy then I'm hoping they'll let me ride away! (once I've paid for it!):D

I know from Fleccs' reply to my earlier post that the Kalkoff pro-connect probably has the edge over the gazelle easy rider but I will buy the gazelle if it fits for the following reasons -

the 2008 bike now has the three power modes like the pro-connect?

the bike shop is a short train ride away if I need any support from them

If I were to join the pro-connect waiting list now then my fitness regime would have to be indefinitely delayed - and my doctor may not find this acceptable!:)

Any last minute advise would be gratefully received!

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'll be very interested to know if it has the three power modes Steve.

If it does it will narrow the gap substantially, and for dual rider use would give the Gazelle the edge.

Renaud

Dec 30, 2007
The Gazelle Easy Glider has three power modes and a 10ah battery. But he still weights nearly 30 kg, so he is probably a little slower than other bikes with the same Panasonic motor/battery.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Renaud, good to get confirmation of what I'd been suspecting on the 2008 model.

As you say, the weight is some disadvantage, though as a percentage of the combined weight of bike and rider, it's little different from the others when compared in the same way.

Steveb63

Feb 2, 2008
Baildon (BD17)
Did it!

Well the test ride swung it and I've now got a brand new Gazelle Easyglider in my front porch.

Had to transport it back via two trains and then a fairly painfull 1st ride up several hills from the train station.

There's no doubt that it's a heavy (not so little) so'n'so but it got me up the hills without having to get off and push - which is what I would have been doing on my old push bike.

I suspect I may be pestering the forum with questions for a while once my fitness regime gets into full swing - My initial target is to use my new bike to travell to work at least 3 times a week - clement weather permitting - We'll See!!!

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Congratulations on your new bike Steve. To get the maximum power when hill climbing, regardless of what mode you are in, pedal fairly slowly, if necessary changing up a gear to achieve the slower pedal rate. That way the Panasonic unit gives the most assistance.

If you pedal fast, the motor's software sees that as you getting on fine and not needing help, so it cuts back on the assistance.

I've updated you into the map, and you have another member nearby.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Could the Easy Glider be the new star Pedelec?
Not really, but certainly a worthwhile comparison to a Kalkhoff Agattu.

The general specification is similar, the battery and motor unit the same.

The downside is that the Gazelle Easy Glider is much heavier and also a bit dearer, the gain is that it has some very nice detailing, a headlamp streamlined into the top of the forks for example, quick adjusters for seat height etc., so it has some style advantages.

It's a good choice if the bike is for two riders of different stature who need quick adjusters, but otherwise in riding terms there's no gain and a very slight hill climb loss due to the weight. Some will also feel the proximity of a local dealer is reassuring if that's where they are able to buy it.