Gazelle Innergy

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Nothing like as good a hill climber as the Gazelle Easy Rider model with the Panasonic motor unit which drives through the gears.

This one has a hub motor which aren't as capable on the steepest hills, though generally ok up to 10%. I can't be more specific than that without knowing which motor is used, but judging by that battery and mounting, I doubt it's particularly powerful.

The rider gearing with the Shimano 8 speed hub, probably the Alfine version, is good for hills, but not much consolation if the motor isn't pulling it's weight.

If your hills really are steep ones and you are set on the Gazelle style and quality, buy their very similar Panasonic motor Easy Rider version. That has the added advantage of a few dealers for it in Britain and some already on the road here. It's not very much dearer, but if the extra cost is too great, buy the Panasonic motored Kalkhoff Agattu which combines the price of the Innergy with high quality and the good hill climbing.

Last edited:

pvb123

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2008
Thanks for the answer Flecc! I thought the Easy Rider would be better up hills, but some of the features on the Innergy are appealing! Look forward to some tests of this bike.... Cheers.:)

pvb123

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2008
I know there are many kalkhoff fans out there, however i feel there is a bias towards the Kalkhoff over the Gazelle Easy Glider. Sure it costs more but the Gazelle has an 8 speed gearbox and more features.... Cheers.......

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The reasons for the bias are simple really. When the Kalkhoff was introduced the Gazelle was still stuck with the 8 Ah battery, which I understand is incompatible with the later 10 Ah, and it had a much dearer list price, having recently gone up. It also didn't have the high power mode.

Not only was the Kalkhoff Agutta cheaper, there was a long introductory offer which made it several hundreds cheaper, and it was a lighter bike as well, the Gazelle being heavy for what it is.

I believe the Gazelle now has the 10 Ah battery, but I don't know if it has the high power mode yet, and if they don't publicise these things, they've only themselves to blame for lack of interest.

There's also the value for money of the Gazelle's extra cost. For most owners, things like the big sticking out quick saddle adjustment device is just an expensive heavy gimmick, since the saddle is adjusted just once, when they get the bike first. Only with dual owners would it really be useful. The same applies to some of it's other features like the streamlined headlamp moulding into the forks, pretty to look at but difficult and expensive to replace after an accident.

There's no doubting the excellence of the Gazelle Easy Rider, but for practicality and value for money with slightly lower weight and similar European quality, the Kalkhoff Agattu wins easily. The fact that e-bikes don't need many gears doesn't help the 8 speed feature anyway, I lived for years e-biking with five gears in my very hilly area, and on my current six gear bikes only use three or four nearly all the time.

Last edited:

pvb123

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2008
Thanks for the Answers Flecc! :)

I guess what I am trying to say that it is pretty early to say which one of these bikes is the better value for money because we haven't had the luxury of time to expose issues of durability/quality. It will be interesting to see in 5 years time how each of these bikes are going.

I take all your points on board and look forward to more discussions in the future!

All the best!:D

Paul. (Sydney, Australia)

Joe

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2008
the long term reliability is a good point. in recent times a snap shot of this forum would have led you to believe the best choice was ezee not withstanding the lithium battery issue. certainly the torq in its time got alot of attention. i agree with you flecc the kalkhoff does look like an enduring and quality addition to the market but it is early days. i would also think a few people would agree that their introduction by 50 cycles has not been the smoothest. I think what will be key for kalkhoff is the successful introduction of a dealer network to take the load off 50 cycles who clearly have not coped that well with the demand for the bikes.

the gazelle and agattu do share one quality of being overweight. i am interested if the pro connect can not only be lighter but comfortable and reliable enough. then we have a clear leader in the field.

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
I can't see that small hub motor and battery supplying much power, they look somewhat similar to those used elsewhere with a fancy name but limited success.

It looks like a cost reduction similar to what Giant did with the Twist.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
the gazelle and agattu do share one quality of being overweight.
Not overweight as suspension e-bikes though Joe?

In round figures the Agattu is 26 kilos, Torq 25 kilos, Sprint 28 kilos, Sparta 26 kilos, Cadence 30 kilos and several others around 27 to 32 kilos, plus the SLA bikes at near 40 kilos.

To get the 20 to 22 kilo weights mostly means either low power like the Powacycles. a very small battery like the Sunrunner or buying without all the accessories, lighting, full mudguards etc like the Wispers, some Urban Movers etc.

Joe

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2008
agreed flecc. sound reasons for the weight but still too much of it for the odd occassion of misjudgement with your battery charge when faced with inclines.
or indeed lifting the bike. though even lifting the 20k pro connect would be too much on a frequent basis.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
still too much of it for the odd occasion of misjudgement with your battery charge when faced with inclines.
or indeed lifting the bike. though even lifting the 20k pro connect would be too much on a frequent basis.

Yes, the weight is a bit much when hill climbing, though bear in mind that pedalling a Panasonic motored bike like the Agattu is infinitely easier than almost any hub motor bike, just like an ordinary bike on the flat or slight inclines.

I always dreaded running out of battery on my two hub motor bikes, and still do, but on the Lafree I had I went out a number of times with insufficient charge, knowing I'd have no bother cycling the last two or three miles home with only one short steep hill at the end.

pvb123

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2008
I spoke with a rep from Gazelle in Holland recently and was told that the Innergy will be a good hill climber by hub bike standards. Can't wait till we see a test on this bike!

Paul.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I spoke with a rep from Gazelle in Holland recently and was told that the Innergy will be a good hill climber by hub bike standards. Can't wait till we see a test on this bike!

Paul.
With respect to Innergy, they don't have many mountain ranges in Holland, so their opinion might not have much validity.

The usual problem is that those who have few hills think 10% is very steep. Those of us in really hilly areas see that as only the start of hills, everything less merely being slopes.

On that sort of hub motor, 10% is about it usually, with a bit of help. Beyond that much more help is usually needed, and faced with a 20%, it's get off and walk, pushing 28 kilos of bike because these pedelecs have no throttle to use for trickle along help.