Getting back in the saddle after 30 years!

Jacqui Armitage

Just Joined
Jul 22, 2017
LN2 2QU
Hi I'm thinking of getting back on a cycle after 30 years and have been looking at various options. I want something that I can use both on the road and off - but I'm not planning to jump boulders or logs, just be on gravel paths. My husband suggested I go for an electric bike. I initially thought that was cheating, but having spoken to a number of people and visiting a few of my local bike shops they have persuaded me that it isn't! I'm very much leaning towards the Wisper Torque 705 step through due to its versatility, looks and comfort. As I have dogs I thought I might do a bit of cannicross with it. I can turn the electric off completely, but then that makes it a bit of a heavy bike, but as I'm not planning on competing using the battery on a low setting should keep me happy. Having not sat on a bike for 30 years, I'm expecting to wobble a bit until I get my confidence back, but I'm hoping it will get me fit again. I also decided electric as I have a knee problem. I wanted to see some reviews on the 705, and all the ones I've found are very positive, so I think yep.... I might get one. just got to see when I can get down to the one and only dealer in Lincolnshire again to actually buy it!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You won't regret it Jacqui, and the smile you'll be wearing will let the world know that.

It's definitely wise to go electric assist after a 30 year break, trying to get back on form by pedal power only after that time would be brutal. Many I've known who've tried have failed and the ordinary bikes they bought languishing at the back of garages.

Having the assistance carries you through the tougher bits while helping you regain the fitness that will enable you to pedal without power at times in the future.

You're nominated bike is a good choice, Wisper support is excellent and their dealers generally reliable.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
My wife said that she'd never use one because she has a disabled knee. After some encouragement she gave it a go, but was very wobbly at first. Now, she uses it a lot to visit our grandkids when I'm at work. She says that it's a Godsend. Enjoy Jacqui. :)

Reactions: flecc

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi I'm thinking of getting back on a cycle after 30 years and have been looking at various options. I want something that I can use both on the road and off - but I'm not planning to jump boulders or logs, just be on gravel paths. My husband suggested I go for an electric bike. I initially thought that was cheating, but having spoken to a number of people and visiting a few of my local bike shops they have persuaded me that it isn't! I'm very much leaning towards the Wisper Torque 705 step through due to its versatility, looks and comfort. As I have dogs I thought I might do a bit of cannicross with it. I can turn the electric off completely, but then that makes it a bit of a heavy bike, but as I'm not planning on competing using the battery on a low setting should keep me happy. Having not sat on a bike for 30 years, I'm expecting to wobble a bit until I get my confidence back, but I'm hoping it will get me fit again. I also decided electric as I have a knee problem. I wanted to see some reviews on the 705, and all the ones I've found are very positive, so I think yep.... I might get one. just got to see when I can get down to the one and only dealer in Lincolnshire again to actually buy it!
Thanks for considering a Wisper Jacqui, Liam in Leicester will certainly look after you now and in the future.

If I can be of any assistance please let me know.

All the best, David

Richard Brown

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 23, 2017
London
www.battrified.co.uk
I got an Amp Bike (Wisper 905 se) after not riding for over 15 years about 2 months ago and am having tons of fun. I've dropped my rail season ticket and have completely replaced it by cycling to work every day... it's not easy but definitely made possible with an electric bike

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Welcome aboard Jacqui :)

My Wife's got a 705SE - it's her first e-bike and she's taken to it like a duck to water, and loves it. We recently did our longest ride together which was 22 miles, which simply wouldn't have happened without an e-bike, and it was just great. The Wisper is certainly a very well put together bit of kit.

Gaz

Reactions: Wisper Bikes