Getting closer to an economic solution to my pedelec needs?

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
I feel encouraged that finally I am getting closer to fulfilling my pedelec needs as a 76 year old purely leisure cyclist with several (old) bikes (a traditional touring bike and a quirky super lightweight folder). So a summary of my needs (which might be similar to those of others):

Low cost (ie involving repairing, recycling, and repurposing) - more to do with 'greening' than finance for me.
Light - light enough to be able to lift into back of our Jazz without doing myself any 'nasties'
Safe - not just legally
Appropriate assistance - just enough to enable me to leisure cycle for a few more years eg coping with south Leicestershire's moderate hills, but give me some exercise. No serious off-road only Sustrans routes.
Simple and easy. Simple whilst riding and maintainable by a relatively simple mind.

So where am I at?
  • Removed Swytch front hub kit from secondhand heavyish Raleigh Pioneer 120, which I will sell.
  • Put Chinese surplus friction drive on old French touring bike - agreably surprised at hill climbing ability and simple flexibility. Haven't tried yet putting in the car but doesn't feel too heavy. Also don't know the range with a light 5Ah 36V battery or performance in the wet (but I don't these days deliberately go out in the wet)
  • Will discuss with local bike shop the possibility of a 16" wheel build using the surplus Swytch motor to use at the rear of my quirky (and aged) Bickerton folder instead of its 3 speed hub.

If the latter can be managed then I think I will have an assisted set-up which will keep me cycling for a few more years. What do you think?
Peter

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sounds good Peter, an ersatz mix adding variety interest to your e-cycling.

Getting spokes short enough for building the Swytch hub motor into a 16" rim may not be easy, but the British made spokes on this link can be bought down to 122 mm long and I've used their somewhat longer ones successfully for a 20" wheel motor wheel build.

Alternatively longer spokes can have their thread cut down to a shorter length as we used to do post war in the trade when supplies were sparse.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
I have made repairs with recycled/reused spokes by making z-bends (without special tools) to desired length. They have never failed. One objection to z-bends is that they clutter the ordinary smaller wheel hub but this is not a problem with large hub motors. On some motors, the holes are closer to the hub so ends must be cut shorter. Photo of one of my repairs below and supplementary info on same in link.
Z Spokes, all you need to know - Wheel Fanatyk

Last edited:

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
Thank you flecc and sturmey for your very practical suggestions - I appreciate the encouragement. I will let you know the outcome of a discussion with Jake, my local experienced bicycle mechanic. Best wishes Peter

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I have made repairs with recycled/reused spokes by making z-bends (without special tools) to desired length. They have never failed. One objection to z-bends is that they clutter the ordinary smaller wheel hub but this is not a problem with large hub motors. On some motors, the holes are closer to the hub so ends must be cut shorter. Photo of one of my repairs below and supplementary info on same in link.
Z Spokes, all you need to know - Wheel Fanatyk
z-bend has great advantages like not breaking so why is z-bend not more popular?

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
z-bend has great advantages like not breaking so why is z-bend not more popular?
The z bend is not stronger than the j bend and as such probably has no advantage for manufacturers/suppliers. It can still break at the ends like any other spokes but I do note that they wrap themselves around the hub flange better than some of the stainless steel 13g spokes that fatigue and break at this spot.
It may even cost more to put 2 bends on a spoke than one and can looks untidy and possible cause of hands/clothes getting caught .
It does however have at some big advantages for the individual .
1. Z bend spokes make excellent spare spokes. As the end is open, its possible to fit spoke without removing wheels,freewheels, disks, etc. Replacing an Z spoke can be a 10 minute job whereas replacing a j bend spoke can sometimes be a major job.
2. Being able to make up spokes to any length and easily, can mean getting a bike immediately back on the road. It can take over a week to order and get delivery of spare spokes and along with postal charges, can end up expensive.
3. A third possible advantage is that its can be more eco friendly in terms of reusing/recycling etc.
Although its possible to build a wheel entirely with recycled z bend spokes, it would be a little tedious measuring/cutting/bending making up the spokes but it is doable and has been done.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the biggest problem with replacing a broken rear spoke is access to the flange when it's behind the cassette. The z-bend would solve this.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Getting an exact length at the first bend is the hardest part for a diy user, though with a correct 2mm z bend plier onc could likely get good results with a few practice spokes. The tail could be cut or even bent so not to be so long and ugly in appearance.

The plier head has a groove for locating the rod/spoke and one could likel position the spoke end to bend it and have a shorter tail bend, this one is for up to 2mm.
Logic RC Z Bend Pliers. For Making Pushrods on RC Aircraft. 5055320211020 | eBay

Z bends were useful for bladed spokes.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
the biggest problem with replacing a broken rear spoke is access to the flange when it's behind the cassette. The z-bend would solve this.
Not such a problem with hub motors which are often the same or greater radius than the cassette or freewheel.

Z bend fine for repairs, though I imagine many customers would view such a repair by an LBS to be a bodge job.

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Not such a problem with hub motors which are often the same or greater radius than the cassette or freewheel.

Z bend fine for repairs, though I imagine many customers would view such a repair by an LBS to be a bodge job.
Yes the finish view of a Z bend is a heath affair and does look bodgy.