Getting repairs / service for PowerCycle in uk ?

tepol

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
I've noted some places selling this make of bike at pretty good deals online and just wondered how difficult or easy it is to get it serviced / repaired if anything goes afoot ?

That's assuming that this make is good to start with.

thanks

matt

tepol

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
The company Powacycle is actually based in Harlow Essex PowaCycle - Electric Bikes - Quality UK Supplier.

The Electric Transport Shop is one of their dealers Electric Bike Sales - Home and have shops in London, Cambridge and now Oxford and is an approved service centre for repairs etc.
But its not powacycle . Power - cycle

See for yourself..

Electric bike bicycle aluminium lithium folding ebike on eBay, also, Bikes, Cycling, Sporting Goods (end time 11-Jun-08 21:47:27 BST)

An imitation , import ?? :confused:

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
It looks identical to the Lynx folder on Powacycles website. Probably just sold under a different name on ebay and possibly as you suspect. Maybe others could advise if this is the case?

Maybe you should give both companies a ring just to be sure if they would do repair/service etc.

Last edited:

Terrytraveller

Pedelecer
May 22, 2008
Swindon
"You Say Power-Cycle - I say PowaCycle - lets call the whole thing off"

Everybody is right - have a look at links

Lynx LPX Electric Folding Bike

Power-Cycle - Electric Bikes - Quality UK Supplier

I bought one a month ago and its gone up the creek already. If I had bought it from Ebay (Li-Pol battery version) at £499 instead of £599 from a local store, it would cost me £50 a time to send it back to get fixed - wouldn't it ?

Also note a Li-Pol Battery puts another £100 (PowaCycle) on the price, the Lithium-Ion battery (Power-Cycle) is £100 cheaper. To buy an extra battery the Li-Pol is £199, and the Li-Ion is £99. The folding ebikes are otherwise identical from the different suppliers.

So it does pay to support your local shop. ;)

Besides - if I get any trouble from the shop - I can send my boys in........ !!

Regards Terry

Last edited:

Terrytraveller

Pedelecer
May 22, 2008
Swindon
Update on Breakdown - Powacycle Lynx LPX

Took the ebike into Mitchells of Swindon on Monday 16th, fault symptom was a grinding noise from rear motor hub, and then the motor went dead, the ebike is one month old, and has covered less than 100 miles. Mitchells told me Powacycle spares take only one postal day to arrive.

A new motor control PCB was delivered on Wednesday from PowaCycle - good service don't you think? :) - but it was wrong version or model - not so good then :(

Mitchells had been trying to contact PowaCycle to reorder part, but could not get hold of them. I sent an email to Wazz Mughal of Powacycle asking him to phone Mitchell Cycles of Swindon URGENTLY.

That's the story so far - I will fill in a Powacycle Lynx LPX review when I have the ebike back on the road.

I wonder when the poll facility will be ready to use, people can then report on whether or not they get good service, reliabilty etc... for all to see.

Regards Terry

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A reassurance Terry. Nearly all hub motor and related part faults occur when they're almost new. Once they are repaired and running well for a while they then tend to carry on perfectly for many years, commonly outliving the bikes they're fitted to.

Terrytraveller

Pedelecer
May 22, 2008
Swindon
Reassurance

Thanks Flecc - reassurance is always nice to receive and of course you are right, once the bits have had some use, both bedding in and adjusted out correctly, then hopefully we will have longevity.

I am hoping to have a look at the old MCB once the new one is fitted, it will be interesting to see if it is a bought in MCB like the Kellycontoller link DC motor_DC MOTOR SPEED CONTROLLER_controller_Motor controller_Motor controllers_Motor Speed Controller_Electric Speed Control_Golf Cart Controller_Kelly Motor Controller , which looks to me like a very professionally manufactured unit, or a homebrew we hope manufactured to similar standards.

I agree these days i\c mortality rate is pretty good, high current drivers are pretty reliable, so the combination of both should by rights give us longevity, providing the circuit developer/designer knows his onions and it wasn't made on a friday. :D

Regards Terry

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I agree these days i\c mortality rate is pretty good, high current drivers are pretty reliable, so the combination of both should by rights give us longevity, providing the circuit developer/designer knows his onions and it wasn't made on a friday. :D

Regards Terry
Or Monday morning as used to be said of Birmingham's car output of years ago. :)

Although hub motor faults are rare, it's surprising that some are mechanical ones, failures of nylon epicyclic gear parts or their assembly, or of the freewheel, and I suffered one of these in 2006 on a two week old Suzhou Bafang motor. It's replacement has done thousands of faultless miles since.

Terrytraveller

Pedelecer
May 22, 2008
Swindon
New PowaCycle Lynx LPX Repair Update

My Lynx LPX has been off of the road now for nearly two weeks, waiting for some spare parts. PowaCycle have run out of replacement controllers for their Lynx LPX ebike. That sounds a bit ominous doesn’t it?, however they are willing to cannibalise another ebike and send the part to Mitchell Cycles of Swindon for fitting under warranty. I did notice from their web page, that PowaCycle have run out of Lynx LPX models, and are accepting ‘pre-orders’ , now that’s gracious of them :rolleyes: , a new supply of ebikes is expected mid July, so they must be selling well at this time, or its further proof of mishandling logistics perhaps?

I did ask PowaCycle about their ebike mortality rate a little while ago, but a reply was not received. Mitchell Cycles of Swindon claim they have sold around 40 PowaCycle ebikes, with my ebike being the first return for a replacement part to be fitted.

Today is the deadline for fixing the one month old Lynx LPX, after today it’s a Visa Card refund and/or choosing another new ebike. I will still go for a PowaCycle model for the moment, only because of the confidence I have in the Staff at Mitchell Cycles in looking after my interests.

This event highlights the necessity of buying such a large and bulky item locally, buying off the web saves money initially but..........

Regards Terry

EXTRA EXTRA !

Went to pick up the PowaCycle Lynx from Mitchell Cycles, but they weren't happy with their repair, so offered a full cash refund or another bike of equal value. I have elected to have the Powacycle Windsor which will be ready for collection on Monday.

Last edited: