Giant FastRoad E+2 Pro Battery Issues

navkant

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 17, 2020
Hi Guys, I am new to the forum, looking for some guidance. I bought a Giant Fast road E+ 2 Pro 2020 model in January for my 20KM office commute. After a week, the battery assist just randomly switched off multiple times and I had to switch it on during the ride every time. Giant Twickenham then put a spacer under the battery but it just made things worse. It got dangerous and would switch off when I am crossing roads or in front of heavy vehicles. After a while, it stopped working fully.

Giant replaced the Bike with a new one. This 3-week old bike is showing the exact same signs again. It threw me warning lights [Battery issue] thrice and starting today, the battery assist is switching off in the middle of my ride, and switching back on only after multiple attempts. Giant Twickenham says it's not very common but seems like I got 2 new bikes with the same issue.

Do any of you who have the same or similar model with similar issues? Now I am confused about whether to get another replacement or return it. I love my commute and don't see any alternative road bikes in £3000 range [without the suspension]

Reactions: Rich2474

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Boardman ADV 8.9e ?

Reactions: navkant

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
If mild assist is sufficient there’s the Orbea Gain and Ribble bikes using the ebikemotion rear hub. Cannondale Neo range for a bit more. Might get 2019 model for less.

navkant

Feb 17, 2020
Actually, my Cycle scheme voucher is being prepared. So, I need to stop it. I don't seem to need a lot of assist. So, Orbea or Boardman can be an option. Thanks.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The aesthetic looks of the Giants in my view is they are FUGLY.

• :D

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Now I am confused about whether to get another replacement or return it
I would try for third time lucky, Giant make good bikes though you've had a disappointing and annoying start.
I have a 2020 Fathom E+2 which has been brilliant and thankfully hasn't had your problem.
Dave.

navkant

Feb 17, 2020
If mild assist is sufficient there’s the Orbea Gain and Ribble bikes using the ebikemotion rear hub. Cannondale Neo range for a bit more. Might get 2019 model for less.
I can see Cannondale Quick Neo SL2 @ 1999. Waiting for Giant to confirm next steps.

navkant

Feb 17, 2020
Just to close the thread, my 3rd Fastroad E+2 had the exact same issue. Giant said they have coated the wiring in the engine which fixed the issue in their demo bikes. And it should work fine but it dint last even a day.

Then they blamed me that my riding style is not suitable for the bike and trying to sell me an Explore E+ model. I am getting the refund tomorrow and will look for Orbea Gain or Cannondale Neo.

Note to group, please avoid the new model of Giant Fast Road E+2. Seems like it's not tested.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
tbh id avoid any ebike made buy giant atm they dont make the motors but do make the batts and displays to run there own software and will be expensive to replace.

when a company like apple/ giant ect blame the user for not using a product right its time to walk away.

navkant

Feb 17, 2020
tbh id avoid any ebike made buy giant atm they dont make the motors but do make the batts and displays to run there own software and will be expensive to replace.

when a company like apple/ giant ect blame the user for not using a product right its time to walk away.
TBH, I don't even know if there is a wrong way to ride a bike. What can I do to break 3 new bikes in a month. Haven't been able to connect the Android App to the bike either.

Reactions: mike killay

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
they had there 2 chances to fix it , they failed so full refund required ;)

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
TBH, I don't even know if there is a wrong way to ride a bike. What can I do to break 3 new bikes in a month.
Its fairly easy to break some bikes if you use them outside their design parameters.
A fastroad is a fully rigid bike, with a pretty harsh ride, designed to be ridden on smooth tarmac.
Were you using it on any off road sections? maybe when the dealer said 'riding style' might they have been referring to the surface types?

navkant

Feb 17, 2020
Its fairly easy to break some bikes if you use them outside their design parameters.
A fastroad is a fully rigid bike, with a pretty harsh ride, designed to be ridden on smooth tarmac.
Were you using it on any off road sections? maybe when the dealer said 'riding style' might they have been referring to the surface types?
Agree. That's what Giant was asking me if I ride on Gravel, and offered me the Explore (off road) range. My commute is fully on tar roads and the bike dint break. Apparently, some moisture went inside the engine and corrupted the circuits on both bikes. The bikes are supposed to be weather proof but broke after first sight of a drizzle.

Roo

May 22, 2020
Hi Navkant, I'm wondering if you got your issues fixed. I am going through the exact same issues. Really enjoy the bike except for it switching off.

Reactions: Rich2474

navkant

Feb 17, 2020
Hi Navkant, I'm wondering if you got your issues fixed. I am going through the exact same issues. Really enjoy the bike except for it switching off.
Hi Roo,

After 6 follow up visits and 3 failed attempts to fix it by Giant, I lost my patience and returned the bike for a full refund. Being a new model, I think it lacks some rigorous testing. The guys at giant said, some moisture kept finding its way into the engine to shut it off.

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
Hi please have a look at the woosh faro and juicy ticket as alternate choices. One plus for the boardman is the battery and motor can be removed easily and a cover fitted. One plus for the woosh is the charger port is near the top of the down tube, less chance of any water ingress when above the bottom bracket as the others.

Roo

May 22, 2020
Hi Roo,

After 6 follow up visits and 3 failed attempts to fix it by Giant, I lost my patience and returned the bike for a full refund. Being a new model, I think it lacks some rigorous testing. The guys at giant said, some moisture kept finding its way into the engine to shut it off.
I was really hoping they fixed it. The guys at the bike shop have dropped my motor and checked it all. There waiting on another battery terminal connector set up. Should be here next week. I love the bike. I've got a badass box 4 on it. Makes it so much better. There's something just not right unfortunately. Did you end up buying something else?

Roo

May 22, 2020
Hi Guys, I am new to the forum, looking for some guidance. I bought a Giant Fast road E+ 2 Pro 2020 model in January for my 20KM office commute. After a week, the battery assist just randomly switched off multiple times and I had to switch it on during the ride every time. Giant Twickenham then put a spacer under the battery but it just made things worse. It got dangerous and would switch off when I am crossing roads or in front of heavy vehicles. After a while, it stopped working fully.

Giant replaced the Bike with a new one. This 3-week old bike is showing the exact same signs again. It threw me warning lights [Battery issue] thrice and starting today, the battery assist is switching off in the middle of my ride, and switching back on only after multiple attempts. Giant Twickenham says it's not very common but seems like I got 2 new bikes with the same issue.

Do any of you who have the same or similar model with similar issues? Now I am confused about whether to get another replacement or return it. I love my commute and don't see any alternative road bikes in £3000 range [without the suspension]
Hi Roo,

Hi Navkant, I'm I the same boat as you, they have replaced everything except battery and motor. I really liked this bike but I'm done now. I want a replacement bike no motor this time unfortunately. I really don't know how they can sell this bike with a problem like that, do disappointed.
All the best
Roo

Rich2474

Just Joined
Jun 28, 2020

Rich2474

Just Joined
Jun 28, 2020
I have had this bike for 3 weeks and experiencing the same issues..Shut off 7x in a 15 k ride really annoying.. Phone Giant Twickenham for some advice following reading this.. They didn't seem to be aware of any issues..
Took it back to Rutland cycling Milton Keynes who seem keen to help. I really don't wont to carry on with hassle love the bike ..Shame about this issue
Thinking about Specialized VADO sl 5.0 2020 would be interested to know where you ended up..