Giant LaFree Twist - conversion question

PaulC

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2007
Hi,
I've running a 2005 Giant LaFree Twist since 2009 (Bought 2nd hand from an American temporarily working in New Zealand). It has been ideal for Auckland's hilly terrain and inner-city commuting.
However last week on a sunny day my 2005 Giant Lafree suddenly lost its Normal mode when I switched it on to go home; I found that I could still use the Eco mode.
I checked the switch which looks fine (no moisture, no corrosion,etc), so my conclusion is that this is the known problem with the Panasonic controller where it gets stuck in Eco mode (based on searching the back posts in this forum). I have tried over the past couple of days to get into Normal mode but no luck.

I'm going to continue using the Giant LaFree in Eco mode (but lower the gearing) because I find its combination of the SRAM 5speed hub and the motor drive working through the gears makes it very suitable for Auckland's hilly terrain (All other reputable electric bikes in NZ are hub motor driven).

However I think it's prudent to plan for the likely event that the Panasonic controller dies completely but the motor is still working. This means fitting a 3rd party controller and speed control lever/twist grip.
I have read the full story of the A to B conversion of their Giant LaFree, but I understand that the controller they
used is no longer available. Also, I don't know what maximum current the controller needs to handle.
Hence I'd like to hear from other people who have done this conversion on their Giant bikes, so I know what technical approach to use.

Thanks
Paul

MikeRo

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2014
Maldon CM8
I'd start by assuming a simple problem. Is it a mechanical multi position switch? Have you tested the electrical output of the switch?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's almost certainly the usual problem as you've assumed, but you can check tlhe switch in which connection my Panasonic support site may help, using the "Control Switch" item under the old unit heading.

I don't know of anyone other than A to B trying the changed controller method. They said later that a better way of salvaging the bike would be to fit a new hub motor to the front wheel and just strip the surplus components from inside the crank unit to reduce weight, using it just as a bottom bracket.

I agree with them, the only benefit the crank unit gives is with the original control system, it's much less suitable as a throttle controlled one.

PaulC

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2007
Flecc and Mike,
thanks for taking the time to reply to this query.

Flecc (Tony), hi from NZ again. Referring to your great website on the Giant LaFree, I took the switch apart and checked it carefully - no broken wires or connections, no corrosion. I then checked the microswitches with a multimeter and they are working OK when the switch is depressed.
So I am now reasonably certain my assumption that it is the Panasonic control unit breaking down with old age is correct.
I am still using the original NiMH battery but it too is slowly dying.

I found it useful to know that the AtoB people now recommend against their original idea of replacing the controller and instead say that a front hub motor would be better. That is a good option, as there are reputable conversion kits available in NZ at reasonable prices.

Thanks and wishing you both a good Christmas.
Paul

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Paul, a long time ago that we were in touch! Wishing you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Tony