Giant suede power fault

philh

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 1, 2006
Just a quick question which may save me returning my bike under warranty.
I can switch the power on, the 'dashboard' lights come on then go off almost immediately and power is cut.
Occasionally the power will stay on for about 20 seconds then go off.
The bike has been used quite lightly and has only covered about 100 miles so far, if that.
Any clues appreciated as it is a bit of a logistical problem to return the bike.

Nov 10, 2006
Midlands
OK. Under the handlebar controller there is a white test button.

Before you press this, plug in the charger and try switching the handlebar controller on. If this works for more than 20 seconds it is a good chance that the Sanyo battery has "gone west".

Charge the bike for twenty mins.
Switch on he controller when pressing the test button beneath the controller.
It should beep a second time to tell you it is in test mode.

Whilst in test mode:

spin the wheel (front) to show whether the hall sensors on the hub are ok
leds should flow depending on the speed

hold the brakes and press a pedal hard. The leds will flow depending on the pressure on the pedal

if you have a non uk suede, brakes will display on the led when used.
So will the throttle.

Have a look at where the battery contacts in the bike battery tray. It sounds almost as if capacitance is building up due to intermittent contact. My controller switches on briefly even if I take the battery out!

Andrew

philh

Dec 1, 2006
Thanks Andrew.At the moment the bike is on charge and it will only switch on and go off immediately.

Nov 10, 2006
Midlands
The charger should show solid amber when charging.

If this does not work- and bar getting the volt meter out and testing the battery terminals for 36v I would go back to the dealer:( . Breaking down 100miles from new is way too short and it should still be in warranty too. Wheel the bike in to the shop and be prepared to leave it for repair. These are big bikes and take up space, so it will be in their interest to turn it around quick.

Alternatively just take the battery in and get them to test it/swap it saying you think it could be faulty.. mark it first. At least if it is the battery then you don`t have to lug the bike. (take the charger too just in case)

Andrew

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2006
Midlands
If you have a meter. These are the two connectors.
Does the battery get warm during charging?
Andrew

Attachments

philh

Dec 1, 2006
I think I'll have to consider returning it to the dealer, dont want to mess around and void the warranty, problem being the supplying dealer is about 70 miles away!!

Nov 10, 2006
Midlands
sorry I couldn`t help. I would be interested to know what the problem was obviously.
Andrew

philh

Dec 1, 2006
Contacted my supplying dealer today who refered me to Giants warranty department.They hadnt encountered this problem to date, but have arranged to give technical help directly to a nearby dealer and supply parts as required.
Fingers crossed.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Giant are usually as good as their word in this respect philh. They are sometimes a bit slow, big company fashion, to actually get items to a dealer, but you should be confident it will happen.

Nov 10, 2006
Midlands
I have Russell Davies as the after sales manager at Giant UK in Nottingham
rdavies@giant-bicycles.co.uk

Might be worth dropping him an email (if he still "works" there!:rolleyes: )

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
My recent experience with Giant, going through my local bike shop/Giant dealer, was that they went out of their way to be helpful though, as flecc says, they took their time. Even though my Suede was out of warranty they sent stuff to the Isle of Man at their expense. The bike shop people, who I have known for many years, reckon they are always an excellent company to deal with, so hopefully you should get sorted out.

philh

Dec 1, 2006
The bike is going into a dealer who I bought a Puch cycle from years ago.He seems really keen to do the repair and says Giant are spot on when it comes to assistance.I didnt even know he was a Giant dealer.
Thanks all,I'll post the outcome.