Giant Suede Power on demand modification

Nov 10, 2006
Midlands
I just thought I`d give it a separate post :D

The Giant Suede in the UK is Pedlec only. The sensor wires coming off the crank sensor can be shorted by a throttle or push button on the handlebar.

Intercept and tee into the two wires coming from the pedal sensor. Don`t cut them- just tee into them. Run the tee wires up to your handlebars and install a switch that closes on push.

To get to all this wiring and the controller area, you need a long cross head screwdriver in order to loosen the plastic carapace below the battery.

The sensor wires are thin, but they are the only wires coming from the crank.. I have not investigated further but it seems as if the bike controller detects whether the crank sensor is there or not. Leave it in circuit and just short the circuit with a switch or throttle.

You get power on demand on the switch with the pedelec function still working as normal.. If you use the switch loads, then your range drops

I would have chopped in the Suede by now if I hadn`t put this modification in. Pedelec is a rubbish concept in my commute. Every ebike should have a throttle.

Attachments

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
Thanks for that. As the owner of a Suede I can see the advantages. I've copied your illustration and I'll have a look at doing something similar with my bike.

Nov 10, 2006
Midlands
Not one of my best "illustrations":D I`m a crayon sorta bloke.
The switch should be press and spring release, rather than press and press again to release. Safety safety etc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not one of my best "illustrations":D I`m a crayon sorta bloke.
The switch should be press and spring release, rather than press and press again to release. Safety safety etc
The neighbour's doorbell button and a couple of tiewraps will do nicely! :D

Nov 10, 2006
Midlands
The neighbour's doorbell button and a couple of tiewraps will do nicely! :D

Giant Suede E power on demand is as simple as that!

Nov 10, 2006
Midlands
Consider yourself lucky. You have a throttle and cruise control. If you are maxing out at twelve mph then you should perhaps either return it under warranty or recalibrate your speedometer.
Andrew

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
can you help me do this on a Giant Escape 2 bike? All the cabling comes from the motor in a loom. HELP!
I doubt it's the same as on the Suede model that this thread is about Phil.

However, it's nothing to do with the motor wiring, just look at Andrew's first post and he describes and illustrates it, so you could try to see if it works on the Escape. What he's speaking of is the sensor under the bottom bracket crank area which has just two wires coming off it.

Just join two wires into those as he describes, then short them together to see if the motor powers without pedalling. If it does, you can rig a button to apply continuous power on demand by pressing the button.

DannyK

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2008
Brecon Mid Wales
Would this work for any bike, a Wisper 805 fe for instance and could a thumb throttle be substituted for the push button. Failing that would it be possible to change the power assist to give 5 assist positions ( like a king meter ) instead of the 3 on the present set up which my wife finds too fierce on start up and when cruising at lower speeds.
Many thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

That modification won't work on a modern ebike. They nearly all use digital pedal sensors.

Have a look at your controller. It may well have a connector for a throtle, so you only have to fit one.

If you want a LCD, you need to change the controller, which will cost about £60 from China or £100 from UK.

jaffa1980

Just Joined
Oct 11, 2019
Just curious about this set up.
not sure if the thread is still alive but thought it would be worth a go.
I have got a suede peddle assist bike as attached.

I have taken the housing off and found a bunch of wires around the crank... each with a white connector.

A big one with red and black wires (power) and another smaller one.

I have determined that the smaller connector is the crank sensor (when I turn on power with it disconnected i get no pedal assist, connected... i do)

So my question is this... is that the wire i need to short using a push button? when its shorted does the wheel turn by itself? or does it just give you more... "oomf" when you pedal?

Thanks for your time

Attachments

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So my question is this... is that the wire i need to short using a push button? when its shorted does the wheel turn by itself? or does it just give you more... "oomf" when you pedal?
It doesn't give any more "Oomf", it just delivers power without you having to pedal when the switch is shorted.

Reactions: jaffa1980

jaffa1980

Just Joined
Oct 11, 2019
It doesn't give any more "Oomf", it just delivers power without you having to pedal when the switch is shorted.
brilliant... is it that connector wire? I can take a pic to clarify if you want.

p.s. Thanks for such a quick reply

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
brilliant... is it that connector wire? I can take a pic to clarify if you want.

p.s. Thanks for such a quick reply
That I can't say with certainty, I only knew of Andrew's posting at the time.

He said they were thin and the only two wires coming from the crank itself, the rest probably only routing around it.

Nov 10, 2006
Midlands
Hi sorry I missed the thread. That was a huge long time ago.. 13 years? I essentially used a push switch to short the crank sensor wire. If I remember correctly the crank sensor needed to remain in circuit.. no bad thing as it allowed the pedals to fire the motor still too. I didn't alter the connector, just snuck two thin wires into it then up to the switch to facilitate the short. Basically it just rags it to the full 250w. Obviously rules are much clearer now so only use a throttle in Jersey/Guernsey where it is allowed. I still have the suede and it is tidy, stored not being used. Brand new frame, rear wheel and rebuild after I was knocked off by a driver using his phone (into a snowdrift that saved my life) many winters ago. Only thing that is in a very sad state is the battery.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Obviously rules are much clearer now so only use a throttle in Jersey/Guernsey where it is allowed.
A throttle is permitted here on the Suede Andew, due to it's age.

Pedelecs made before 1st January 2016 are ruled by the DfT to have "Grandfather rights" due to the position as it stood before then, when numerous e-bikes had throttles.

Last edited:

jaffa1980

Just Joined
Oct 11, 2019
Brilliant thanks, I actually went ahead and tried it with a switch. Little bit of tinkering, some solder, heatshrink and electric tape to secure it to the bike and boom! It works! Excellent! Thanks for the original post haha an oldie but a goodie!

Nov 10, 2006
Midlands
Brilliant thanks, I actually went ahead and tried it with a switch. Little bit of tinkering, some solder, heatshrink and electric tape to secure it to the bike and boom! It works! Excellent! Thanks for the original post haha an oldie but a goodie!
Yeah things have definitely changed a lot since 2007.
It does hammer the battery so either use an aux pack if you still want the range.