Giant twist 26v battery replacement

Chris229

Just Joined
May 28, 2022
Howdy,

Recently bought a Giant Twist double without any battery's or charger for my mum.

I've got two options. Keep my eyes out for second hand ones or replacing it with an aftermarket one.

I've found a reasonably priced silver fish one on ebay that I could bodge to make fit. However its 24v instead of 26.

Would this work? Thanks in advance

13r41n13

Just Joined
May 31, 2022
How much are the batteries? I have a 2011, and theoretically you only need one battery to make it work. If you are going to replace the batteries I would go with a higher voltage as you would get more power I have a Giant twist near Vancouver, BC was thinking to part with the whole bike for ~ $750 if you are interested.

Chris229

Just Joined
May 28, 2022
How much are the batteries? I have a 2011, and theoretically you only need one battery to make it work. If you are going to replace the batteries I would go with a higher voltage as you would get more power I have a Giant twist near Vancouver, BC was thinking to part with the whole bike for ~ $750 if you are interested.

Thanks for the reply. They were £500 when In stock! But as its a fairly old bike now I can only find some second hand. I'm just going to try bodge an after market one that I've got on another kit. Thanks for the offer but I think its just a tad too far for me in Scotland!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Howdy,

Recently bought a Giant Twist double without any battery's or charger for my mum.

I've got two options. Keep my eyes out for second hand ones or replacing it with an aftermarket one.

I've found a reasonably priced silver fish one on ebay that I could bodge to make fit. However its 24v instead of 26.

Would this work? Thanks in advance
If the Silver Fish battery is a lithium one, which I'm sure it will be, it is also 26 volts. Calling them 24 volts still is just a convention left over from NiCad and NiMh battery days.

It's about the cell voltages:

20 x 1.2 volt NiCad/NiMh cells = 24 volts

7 x 3.7 volt cells in a lithium battery = 25.9 volts (26 volts)

Last edited:

Chris229

Just Joined
May 28, 2022
Yes.

If the Silver Fish battery is a lithium one, which I'm sure it will be, it is also 26 volts. Calling them 24 volts still is just a convention left over from NiCad and NiMh battery days.

It's about the cell voltages:

20 x 1.2 volt NiCad/NiMh cells = 24 volts

7 x 3.7 volt cells in a lithium battery = 25.9 volts (26 volts)

Thanks so much! I was getting a little worried Giant made it to only recognise there own or something mad like that.

Absolutely itching to get it up and running now!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks so much! I was getting a little worried Giant made it to only recognise there own or something mad like that.

Absolutely itching to get it up and running now!
So long as the Giant battery mount only has two connections to the bike, positive and negative, you will be ok. But they have been fond of using multiple connections on some models, ruling out other batteries so make sure about this before buying another battery.

If there are additional connections another battery may not work. Unfortunately Giant used the Twist name on several different models and I dont know which one you have.

Reactions: Nealh