Giant Twist Express 2011 (Modifications)

AmpresearchB3

Just Joined
Mar 14, 2013
Hi All,
I'm a newbie to pedelec's. I'm liking the idea of being able to ride to work in all conditions without have to get too much of a work out.

I've chosen this bike as a starting point as it's easy to hide away all the cables and keep the bike looking stock. I've order some margura hydraulic rim brake for starters.

Pedal Assist limit - I' aware that the pedal assist speed limit on this bike is 15mph from the factory. II've been told even if I replace the controller with an unrestricted controller it will still only really do 15mph as the battery is (26v@9ah). Is this true for all bikes? Say 36v give you 22mph?

Push button throttle?? The pedal assist on this bike is done via a strain grage sensor build into the rear dropout that measures frame flex. Is it better to have a crank position sensor? Does anyone know how many wires are used to connect a strain gauge?

D

Deleted member 4366

Your torque sensor probably wouldn't work with a standard controller. Best would be to change all the electrics except the motor to a 36v system: KU65 controller, pedal sensor, thumb throttle, 1 or 2 hidden wire brake sensors and any of their 36v batteries. About £260 total. Solder 1/3 the shunt in the controller to get a bit more power to maintain a higher speed. At least 12aH would be better.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Your TMM torque sensor in the rear frame is recognised to be one of the best and the only one to really match the best of the crank torque sensors, and far superior to the inferior crank ones. Your model is very much designed to the EU laws and as d8veh says, to get more it would be best to change all the electrics but the motor. It's motor was originally derived from the American designed Berkestrand Motorised Wheel* which was good for 20 mph, so conversion that way is practical.

*Design bought by Sanyo who in turn licenced it to Giant.