Giant Twist - front wheel removal?

Chris the Sheep

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2013
I recently bought a Giant Twist Esprit, 2012 model - very happy with it, but as is the way with Giant the user manual is very lightweight and a bit patronising.

I'm therefore a bit stumped with the simple task of removing the front wheel!

I wanted to take the wheel off so I could a) know how to do it in future and b) spray some ACF-50 around the electrics to stave off corrosion (I'm a motorcyclist and have been using ACF for years).

Anyway - the wheel's held on with nuts through a cover plate, which is fixed to the fork by three allen bolts. Two of these pass through the dropout and screw into the hub, holding it in place.

What I can't find is any way to disconnect the electrics so I can remove the wheel altogether; I can get it out of the forks to do stuff like changing the tyre, but I'm worried about pulling the wires by accident.

Does anyone know if it's even possible to disconnect the hub on these bikes? I'm reluctant to start dismantling anything as it's running fine, I just don't like not knowing!
Usually there's something somewhere on the internet to explain it but this one's eluding me.

(I would post pictures but I didn't think to take any at the time and it's all back together now)

Cheers

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Can you take some photo's and post them up? There is usually a connection on the wiring near the fork that you can pull apart to enable the wheel to be removed.

Alternatively drop me a mail when you're next at work and I'll have a look at it on my lunch break ;)

Chris the Sheep

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2013
Will do, though most likely I'll look properly when we finally get some decent weather. I have to work on my bikes outside and as you know Blackpool hasn't been the driest of places this last few days!

Chris the Sheep

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2013
Update in case anyone Googles this thread: turns out that the connector is actually inside the frame, and you have to pull the cables out to get access to it. I suppose it makes sense from a weatherproofing point of view, but it's far from obvious!

According to the helpful chap at Fulford Cycles, this is a feature of the 2012+ Twist models; earlier ones have the connector next to the hub.

HTH

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for that information, your original problem had me stumped since I was familiar with the connector by the hub and couldn't understand why yours didn't have it. Odd that they changed it, since the hub connector always seemed to work well.