Giant Twist Lite motor issues

Stoke

Just Joined
Sep 30, 2020
Hi all, great forum but first time posting.

I have a Giant Twist lite that was making some bad noises from the front hub motor.

Stripped it all down to find about 20ml of water that had ingresed the motor housing and subsequently distroyed the motor bearings.

Now I've searched high and low and parts seem to be quite scarce for this bike. Found a motor in Norway and a site in Holland that has a few bits.

Basically I wondered if anyone else had replaced the bearings inside the motor itself on this bike?

It's the bearings inside the motor that I need to replace. There's two inside one at the top and bottom of the shaft.

The bearing at the top of the shaft I can just read the numbers (69027 I think) shown in the first pics.

However the bearing at the bottom was completely distroyed as you can see in the pictures.

Does anyone know if replacement bearings can be sourced or perhaps a replacement motor? Shaft length is 145mm.

Giant are useless btw.

I can upload more pics if anyone is interested.

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One can source sealed bearings on ebay or many other outlets like simply bearings .co.uk.
The 69027 as said will likely be 6902z or have a look for 6902rs check all the measurements carefully against your one. Over all dims, internal dim and thickness.
The central shaft one if a larger dia could be anything again something like a 6811rs, one needs to search different sizes to match any dims you can glean from your broken one.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The other thing one needs to find out is why the hub filled with water ?
Was the hub installed with the motor cable exiting out of the top of the axle ?
If so then water tracked down the cable, the cbale needs to exit under the axle then form a drip loop before going up.

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt

Stoke

Just Joined
Sep 30, 2020
Fantastic replies thanks everyone. Managed to get the outer races removed this evening and there's actually 3 X bearings in total. Weird though there's 3 outer races and only 2 inner! Just need to find a puller now that I can remove this inner race out now. Thanks again for your replies.

Attachments

Stoke

Just Joined
Sep 30, 2020
The other thing one needs to find out is why the hub filled with water ?
Was the hub installed with the motor cable exiting out of the top of the axle ?
If so then water tracked down the cable, the cbale needs to exit under the axle then form a drip loop before going up.
Great tip, I'll make sure of this when I reinstall it.
I don't think there was much of a seal around the hub either. Seems like there was a small amount of silicone sealant like material. Any recommendations for when I do reseal it?

Stoke

Just Joined
Sep 30, 2020
One can source sealed bearings on ebay or many other outlets like simply bearings .co.uk.
The 69027 as said will likely be 6902z or have a look for 6902rs check all the measurements carefully against your one. Over all dims, internal dim and thickness.
The central shaft one if a larger dia could be anything again something like a 6811rs, one needs to search different sizes to match any dims you can glean from your broken one.
Thanks, ordered a set last night and a bearing puller. Fingers crossed it all works as Giant wanted to sell me a complete wheel for £250

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you feel the seal is poor then one could try some gasket seal to form an impervious seal.
Is the hub screwed together as two parts or does one side have a face plate screwed side fixing ?