Go Faster Dongles! Here's another to consider

countryman663

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2013
NWest Lake District
Whilst browsing for info about the intuvia display I came across another of the dongles that can be used to override the limits set by the controllers. This one aims to send false data to the unit so that it does not cut out until higher speeds. The cost of SpeedUp (Box) is Euro 104,50 including VAT. The shipment by Registered Mail costs Euro 8,50. There is also a 'ghost' version that is more like the dongles previously seen on this site also costing 104.50 Euro
speedupprova2jpg.jpgghost.jpg
The Website
Home
is in Italian with bits of German and English thrown in so does not translate well with Google. However, you do get the gist of what the system does and there is a cool video of the original mechanical system also on You tube here>
Aumento Velocità Motore Bosch Haibike. Mehr Geschwindigkeit Bosch Motor. Bosch motor tuning - YouTube
I just like the simple elegance of that :D

and there is an english pdf version describing the principle here>
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxupmtzLoSNHczQ5NzVTWmFuR0E/edit?pli=1

The site also quite rightly urges us to remember that these are for OFF ROAD only and they have mostly attached them to Haibikes. They accompany this reminder with the following image
limite25tortured.jpg

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Do these take the limit off the S models with 350 watts? May seem pointless, but it would be of interest what speed people can get from it, seeing as the 250 watt can be made near as fast as the 350 anyway.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
It has made the bike exactly what I wanted from an e-bike. It gives me options and choices about how I ride dependant on mood and how fit I feel.

Battery consumption is roughly the same, but with higher average speeds. A less hilly ride of 9.5 miles done in 32 mins, can now be done in 25 mins if I so choose.

I spend much more time in the lower settings now riding along exactly how you would on a normal bike, instead of the draggy bouncing in and out of full power at around 16 mph.
I could really do with going 11-speed now to take full advantage, 26-28 mph is about as fast as I can pedal, I've been left standing by men on racing bikes on rolling slightly downhill bits. What I tend to do is knock the power right down to suit the gearing. That's something I do on hills fine tuning the hill with the power to suit the gear I'm in.

I used to dread the flat bits on that bike if I'm honest, now I'm happy to ride anywhere. It has certainly made the bike safer at a couple of roundabouts I negotiate, I'm going faster as I would be on my racer, that allows me to command a better position on the road in the traffic. and you don't have that sudden slowing as you've been down a hill and start going up the other side, where you slow to below 16 mph and then accelerate back up again. Now you ride up the other side like a normal bike.

Next for me is to start riding the bike in the 2nd lowest setting and see if I can negotiate the hills and extend the range a bit. I can now carry a spare battery so in theory I may be able to get 50+ hilly miles. The limiting factor will be me.

D

Deleted member 4366

Don't forget that the Speedict Venus also releases the speed limit, plus it has loads of other useful functions to monitor your power etc. You need a Bluetooth enabled smartphone to set it and display data. Once set, you don't need the phone anymore. The Speedict works autonomously.It only costs about £60
Speedict Technology Ltd.

countryman663

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2013
NWest Lake District
This strange USB key
key.gif Is available for 99 Euro from bikespeed-key and
claims to "Would you also that the support of your e-bike with Bosch drive not at 25km / h decays? Then check out our bike speed key on! With this USB stick like tuning you can easily expand to support up to 50km / h" Google translate from German. Basically It appears to derestrict your bike when appropriate and where conditions would make this illegal you simply unplug the USB. Has anyone any further info or insights into this one?

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
My Speedup ghost has failed, it looks like water got inside and caused some corrosion. Back to being a strictly legal KTM rider now. I'll be leaving it standard from now on.

Mar 9, 2016
Might sound a bit old fuddy duddy here but once you fit a dongle you might aswell just ride around on an uninsured, untaxed,unregistered fireblade . You,d go way faster and still only be breaking same laws ???

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you are missing the point as the police will seize the fire blade for no tax insurance ect.

yes you are braking the law but the police will still see it as a push bike so none of the above matters.

if bosch cant prove a dongle has been used the police have got no chance of proving it ;)

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
250w GSM needs not a dongle but still able to do around the 30 mark.

Mar 9, 2016
you are missing the point as the police will seize the fire blade for no tax insurance ect.

yes you are braking the law but the police will still see it as a push bike so none of the above matters.

if bosch cant prove a dongle has been used the police have got no chance of proving it ;)
Well errrr....Firstly I suspect Bosch can tell a signal interrupter has been used but that's not the point at all. What you are suggesting is its ok to break law if not caught ?? Well, upto a point perhaps, but does that apply to oap,s around Hatten Gardens ?
You could argue its fine to fit 500 w motor but put a 250w label on it ??? Where do you draw line?
At moment folk are enjoying a reasonable amount of freedom, taking ebikes into countryside and covering double the mileage they could on pedal power alone. All law makers will do when they realise "dongles" can stretch the law is outlaw all ebikes ??
I really think its quite irresponsible on both suppliers and buyers ,neither party really taking heed of possible consequences. From total ban to introduction of compulsory insurance/registration.
Yes its not crime of the century but why restrict yourself to 250w in first place if you are going remove one if legal requirements ? Its sort of pointless and the risk I not really worth the small reward. ( ebike shop assure folk on their website they can tell a device has been used, it also invalidates warranty.)
Think we should be more careful.

Eddie
Anybody using a Brinco on uk roads is going to get pulled, guaranteed. Assumptions are the mother of all , well you get my drift. I would not use a Brinco on any roads. Fire tracks in Pyrenees was where I was thinking of..

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
here is the proof from bosch them self, nyon causes more errors than a dongle ;)
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/can-bosch-prove-a-dongle-has-been-used.23475/

also martin at ebike shop fits dongles and honers the warranty if bosch could tell he not be able to do that would he? im sure he not be forking out 500 quid out of his own pocket.

charged me 5 quid postage for a plastic part and put a first class stamp on it lol

also the 250w and 350w motors are the same thing its only the software that is different.

if any dealer could prove a dongle has been used with there diagnostic software why has none ever posted proof? because they cant.

Mar 9, 2016
here is the proof from bosch them self, nyon causes more errors than a dongle ;)
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/can-bosch-prove-a-dongle-has-been-used.23475/

also martin at ebike shop fits dongles and honers the warranty if bosch could tell he not be able to do that would he? im sure he not be forking out 500 quid out of his own pocket.

charged me 5 quid postage for a plastic part and put a first class stamp on it lol

also the 250w and 350w motors are the same thing its only the software that is different.

if any dealer could prove a dongle has been used with there diagnostic software why has none ever posted proof? because they cant.
Well you can safely break law then.
Like I said earlier..where do you draw line.

Just supposing you are involved in an accident of some kind, do you really think mr plod and insurance companies couldn't look on this forum, examine your track records and find the dongle you,ve just tried to throw away at scene ??? Good luck. Its simply not worth it. You are getting what with dongles fitted. Another 2 mph on your average. Just get a bit fitter.

Last edited: