Go to work on a Pineapple! Wisper Folder sneak preview.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Pedelecers all,

May I have your help?

I am just about to give the go ahead on the tooling for our new ultralight folding bike the Wisper Pineapple.

Here are a few images of the 3D printed Sample.

Before everything is set in stone, I would welcome comments, constructive or otherwise.

Is there anything we can do the make the bike better?
Is there anything that you would change re the looks?
Ideally what are the most important features on a folding bike?

All comments would be gratefully received, and if we adopt anything you have mentioned I would be pleased to offer you a bike at 50% off retail. If it's anything major and we adopt I will offer a bike FOC.

Many thanks, David

5A193DC2-FA00-4982-87B9-212BDFB6339E-257-000000513F05494D_tmp.jpg 8E627108-27CC-4D82-87F9-C196F75CF8A6-257-000000517B32DB4B_tmp.jpg 228F73EA-89CE-4666-86F5-B18462E097CE-257-00000051713A663B_tmp.jpg A020AB0F-1A36-45FA-8712-8B0FA20803D7-257-000000517685E337_tmp.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Does it have a tiny in-frame battery David, or is the battery to be added?

The gearing looks good, high enough to keep up a good pace pedalling and as long as there's provision for optional or after market mudguards I'm happy with it, looks good.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Tony, The battery is inside the frame, it can be accessed when the bike is folded, it is locked into position and can easily be removed for charging. We will offer three gear sets 7 3 and single speed.

All the best David

Reactions: Wheel-E and flecc
D

Deleted member 4366

It looks nice. I would add some fixing points for a rack. all you need is a couple of lugs on the back of the seat-post and another couple on top of the back of the chain-stays. If you don't want tom add lugs to the seat-post, you need to at least make sure that the frame there is strong enough to take one of those seat clamps that you can fit a rack to, and maybe provide one:
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.RSP-Carrier-Mounting-Clips_92015.htm?sku=321436&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQiAieTUBRCaARIsAHeLDCQrX57EGPw91tAzHJE2gl_jT_x5zNgxPEyI3dmplJiuDphhD7t_BJEaAtW9EALw_wcB

D

Deleted member 4366

Another thing. It's difficult to gauge the size of it from photos, but the chain-run looks a bit short for a single large chain-wheel with derailleur gears. You might find that the chain comes off the chain-wheel in high or low gear. I would think about provision of and/or fixing points for a chain-guide - something like this:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
It looks nice. I would add some fixing points for a rack. all you need is a couple of lugs on the back of the seat-post and another couple on top of the back of the chain-stays. If you don't want tom add lugs to the seat-post, you need to at least make sure that the frame there is strong enough to take one of those seat clamps that you can fit a rack to, and maybe provide one:
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.RSP-Carrier-Mounting-Clips_92015.htm?sku=321436&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQiAieTUBRCaARIsAHeLDCQrX57EGPw91tAzHJE2gl_jT_x5zNgxPEyI3dmplJiuDphhD7t_BJEaAtW9EALw_wcB
Thanks David, there are fixings for mudguards and a click on rack, the rack has been designed to carry a second battery.

Reactions: flecc

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Another thing. It's difficult to gauge the size of it from photos, but the chain-run looks a bit short for a single large chain-wheel with derailleur gears. You might find that the chain comes off the chain-wheel in high or low gear. I would think about provision of and/or fixing points for a chain-guide - something like this:

Thanks again Dave, the frame has been elongated in order to provide a good ride, but you have a good point. I will certainly mention this in our meeting.

D

Deleted member 4366

And how is the chain-wheel protected from falling on the ground when you fold it? I don't see a stand. If you're going to use the seat-post, it needs a robust rubber bumper in the end.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
And how is the chain-wheel protected from falling on the ground when you fold it? I don't see a stand. If you're going to use the seat-post, it needs a robust rubber bumper in the end.
There isn't a stand currently but maybe we should add one, when folded the tripod is indeed the seat post and the wheels.

D

Deleted member 4366

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I wouldn't want a derailleur gear set up, or metal chain if I were in the market for a fold up bike.

By the very nature of the design of a folding bike, someone is going to be folding it up, and carrying it. A derailleur is sooner or later going to cause an issue with a bent hanger, and the person carrying the bike is more than likely going to get oil on themselves from the drive chain.

Hub gears, and belt drive would be my choice.

The chunky looking tyres and cable operated brakes would appeal though.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
beautiful shape, nice components but I reckon you'll need a chainguard.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks David, good point, yes we have a protector.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I wouldn't want a derailleur gear set up, or metal chain if I were in the market for a fold up bike.

By the very nature of the design of a folding bike, someone is going to be folding it up, and carrying it. A derailleur is sooner or later going to cause an issue with a bent hanger, and the person carrying the bike is more than likely going to get oil on themselves from the drive chain.

Hub gears, and belt drive would be my choice.

The chunky looking tyres and cable operated brakes would appeal though.

Hi Eddie, I agree in a perfect world we would do just that. However we have found that with a high Torque motor and a small (18”) wheel causes spin and control issues. So we have elected to go rear wheel which forces us to derailleur on multi gear set ups. We will be offering a carbon belt single gear version.

Thanks for your comments and thoughts.

All the best David

Reactions: EddiePJ

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Hi Eddie, I agree in a perfect world we would do just that. However we have found that with a high Torque motor and a small (18”) wheel causes spin and control issues.
I like the clean, cantilevered style a lot.
Is there a particular reason to go 18in wheels? A quick look on Halfords (for example) shows only kids BMX replacement tyres. 406 has wider range available? (as long as you don't ask for 20x2.125. Yes Woosh, eh? ;-) )
Mikel

Reactions: oyster

Wheel-E

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2017
Brighton
Absolutely love the utilitarian, understated funky look of this.

I think slight changing of colour scheme would make a big difference. The saddle should definitely be black whatever happens.

Either the chainring, seat post and saddle should be black, so that you are left with a few chrome accents amongst the stealthy black. Or perhaps a more reasonable suggestion would be to change the saddle to black, with the upright of the handlebars in chrome to match the seatpost.

The design has great lines but I think the 'flow' is broken up. Check out the quick Photoshop below for one suggestion. In this scheme, looking across the bike you have the chrome brake discs in a row with the chainring, the black saddle and bars are aligned, as are the seat post and handlebar upright. (The happy side effect is that the handlebars which will inevitable get bashed when folding will be more cosmetically durable.)

chrome upright.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I have just thought of something else. The colour.

Whilst black is easily my favourite bike colour, a matt finish as shown, is going to be a nightmare to keep clean. If you are going to be making the bike finish black, I'd lean towards a satin finish. Gloss black might cheapen the look of the bike.

edit... The chainring and seat post also need to be black.

And also, after riding the Raleigh Twenty that I picked up the other day for my daughter to use whilst at university, I'm not sure that I'd fancy a wheel size any smaller than 20". Obviously, I understand the practical reasons of transport purposes and possibly final drive gearing for choosing 18"
Only guessing, but I assume that an 18" wheel size will allow for a smaller size (higher ratio) cassette, and possibly a smaller size of motor to be used for the same gain?

Last edited:
Reactions: oyster

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I have just thought of something else. The colour.

Whilst black is easily my favourite bike colour, a matt finish as shown, is going to be a nightmare to keep clean. If you are going to be making the bike finish black, I'd lean towards a satin finish. Gloss black might cheapen the look of the bike.

edit... The chainring and seat post also need to be black.

And also, after riding the Raleigh Twenty that I picked up the other day for my daughter to use whilst at university, I'm not sure that I'd fancy a wheel size any smaller than 20". Obviously, I understand the practical reasons of transport purposes and possibly final drive gearing for choosing 18"

paint it in lumilor ;)