Goat bikes!

trickletreat

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2010

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Maybe I`m missing something but how the hell can that small battery/motor combo really be any good? I`ll stand corrected if proved wrong.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I think the idea Dave is for it to only be used when you really really need it...at all other times you ride it as if it where a normal bike.

I'm more intrigued about how the motor integrates into the frame and drives the bottom crank....

trickletreat

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2010
Maybe I`m missing something but how the hell can that small battery/motor combo really be any good? I`ll stand corrected if proved wrong.
I will be trying it out at the weekend. I am used to a Heinzmann 53Nm motor, so worlds apart, but it is aimed at a relatively fit cyclist to give a boost. Steve from electricmountainbikes.com is used to riding all sorts of conversions round Dalby forest and North York Moors, and he was impressed by the power delivery at any speed in any gear. He also was surprised by the range.
I will let you know how I get on, it is for my wife's bike if it is suitable, so she is the one who has to be impressed.

Nigel

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
That is just simply outrageous.....Dim....

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
£1800....funny guy!:D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Especially when the net power at the back wheel is "up to" 100 watts. Small bevel drives are quite inefficient, and the motor's 200 watts quoted is gross, so much of the time the assistance will be very low, about a third or less of what we are used to on e-bikes.

Not surprising given the tiny diameter of that motor.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
gets funnier by the minute......

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Especially when the net power at the back wheel is "up to" 100 watts. Small bevel drives are quite inefficient, and the motor's 200 watts quoted is gross, so much of the time the assistance will be very low, about a third or less of what we are used to on e-bikes.

Not surprising given the tiny diameter of that motor.
Yes, should have realised when he demonstrated that he could stop the crank turning with his hand in the video......oh well, cross that one off the list :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Clever idea though, and very attractive for anyone in fairly easy territory who only needs a little bit of occasional assistance.

In the "stealth" stakes, if the Cytronex is for the reasonable fit, as it is, the Gruber is for those rich people just short of very fit who want to perform as if very fit.

trickletreat

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2010
Well hopefully able to give an informed real life opinion after the weekend. Steves pricing is dictated by the Gruber pricing and current exchange rate I think....most kits coming from Europe are now expensive.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Well hopefully able to give an informed real life opinion after the weekend. Steves pricing is dictated by the Gruber pricing and current exchange rate I think....most kits coming from Europe are now expensive.
Ths is simply ridiculous.......for the same money you could have a BionX 250 watt HT (high torque) probably the best and most expensive kit available...more obvious an e bike but come on what is wrong with that! lol

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As you say, European prices are high and anyway, a small production unit which uses unique high precision parts will inevitably be expensive.

However, we have discussed this unit previously, the link below is from one of those discussions in September 2007, so at 2.5 years ago, far from new and it hasn't exactly won over the market which is the final opinion arbiter.

Gruberassist

trickletreat

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2010
As you say, European prices are high and anyway, a small production unit which uses unique high precision parts will inevitably be expensive.

However, we have discussed this unit previously, the link below is from one of those discussions in September 2007, so at 2.5 years ago, far from new and it hasn't exactly won over the market which is the final opinion arbiter.

Gruberassist
This is a very small market, so at the price point of these higher end units, few people will have tried them, I prefer to try before making my mind up...you pays your money...