Gocycle GS London Commuter review

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Measure the diameter of your tyre. My 20" tyre is in fact 20.5" which is a 1% error in calculating speed. Under EN15194 you have a 10% difference in speed allowed.

GPS will most likely be more accurate than your controller at calculating speed.

Wave

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 7, 2017
London
Thanks, I measured my wheel and seems OK. Also I tested with Strava on my phone and is aligned with my watch; hence is the accuracy of the bike speedometer.

I would be interested if other Gocycle owners have the same issue. In a normal bike it would not be a big problem but in an eBike the assistance cut off is impacted.

Funinhounslow

Oct 6, 2017
West London
Thanks for the tip about the rear mudguard. All nice and secure now.

I don't bother with the app so afraid I can't help with the speedo.

Bit blustery today - to say the least - and the sort of day I would have bussed into work rather than used my CX. The strong headwind was not an issue and I got to work nice and relaxed.

Really appreciate being able to cycle in normal clothes and I'm using this for a lot more trips than I originally anticipated.

richard calvert

Oct 22, 2017
London
Yes wind was a bit much today, I had to use the red button.

Just got my Schwalbe Big Ben Tyres at last from Fully Charged - they were noticably heavier in my hand but the GoCycle still seemed as fast as before.

The guy at Fully Charged said that GoCycle are not making the G3 any more, which is a shame because it's a nice machine. He said they were selling several GSs per week to commuters but I still haven't seen one in the wild - it's only a matter of time though?

Wouldn't a bigger tyre/wheel make the GoCycle think it was going slower (fewer revolutions) so it should actually go faster?

I know we all want to comply with reasonable laws but I'm sure EN15194 will be an issue right after they've sorted out cars and lorries parking in cycle lanes, the cars and motorbikes in the cycle areas at traffic lights, cars, motorbikes breaking the speed limit, the people driving without tax or insurance, the people driving on drugs, people driving on the phone, people driving drunk, the moped muggers etc.

• :D
Reactions: anotherkiwi

Funinhounslow

Oct 6, 2017
West London
Gents - hope you're enjoying your Gocycles in this wonderful weather. I was fine commuting through the winter - though I simply don't bother riding if it's raining, but it coped just fine with the snow - those Big Bens and 2WD gave me great confidence. Really enjoyed it actually as the roads were so quiet...

IMG_0650.jpg

Anyway I am just posting to let you know that there is a promotion on through May - 30% off the holster lock, which brings it down to £70. Fully Charged at London Bridge have them in stock and no fuss applying the discount. The lock is Abus branded so I'm happy it will do the job. Have to say I am still not confident leaving the bike unattended for lengthy periods, but it is fine for popping into the shops etc. So no more lugging around my weighty D-lock (Abus too as it happens) in a backpack.

It's a nice bit of kit and came with a handy template for correct alignment on the frame...

I've actually seen a couple of Gocycles "in the wild" too - once in Oxford and once in the City. Still not seen any others around Hounslow...!

Related Articles

Advertisers